Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Gift recipts???

watergirl

Post Sun, Apr 21 2013, 4:28 pm
I recently had a baby. While I am so grateful and touched by the handful of gifts we've received, I noticed that not a single one came with a gift receipt. I was really thinking about it this week when my neighbor (whom I am not really friends with, but she brought my baby a gift) had a baby, so I went to Target, got an outfit, and a gift receipt, and BAM it hit me that I bet the gifts I got were all re-gifted!

THoughts? Is regifting usually? Like, I have a while stack of stuff we got that I just don't like for my baby, some of it is really out dated and looking at it, plus no receipt is making me think they are circulating around my neighborhood! Id be scared that I'm giving the gift back to who it came from!

cookielady

Post Sun, Apr 21 2013, 4:33 pm
I'd never give a gift I don't like (but I'm really bad about gift giving). I wont regift.
Make anew mother's life easier, include a gift receipt. Personally I like receiving gift cards.

cookielady

Post Sun, Apr 21 2013, 4:34 pm
Watergirl, mazel tov on the new baby.

greenfire

Post Sun, Apr 21 2013, 4:45 pm
as a particularly picky person pertaining to presents ... gift receipts are pleasantly becoming quite popular

however, if you are going to give a gift card - try & make it to an anywhere card rather than to somewhere specific because it's not always possible to find something & makes for limited use of what would be an otherwise nice gift [or go shopping with them]

Raisin

Post Sun, Apr 21 2013, 4:52 pm
maybe they bought on sale and don't want you to see that they paid $7 for an outfit that normally costs $30?

I try and give gift receipts. I didn't get gift receipts with all my baby gifts, and I don't think they were regifted. Luckily lots of shops let me exchange for bigger sizes if I needed to.

Can you give the unwanted gifts to a friend in need who is having a baby and might not be able to afford clothing? tell her honestly they are unneeded gifts. I know often I might think clothing is hideous while someone else thinks it is adorable.

wtvr

Post Sun, Apr 21 2013, 4:58 pm
Here are some of the reasons I can think of why there is no gift receipt.

1- as Raisin mentioned, they got a really good deal, and don't want you to realize that they paid so little.

2- Many people stock up on gifts, so they don't want you do know/realize that the gift was actually purchased 3 months ago, or, in that case, the gift receipt is no longer valid anyway.

3- Many smaller stores (non-chains, etc), don't offer the option of a gift receipt.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Apr 21 2013, 5:23 pm
I like to give a gift receipt but I don't expect a kimputurin to run around exchanging gifts.

greenfire

Post Sun, Apr 21 2013, 5:32 pm
some stores actually take things back sans the receipt ... they might only give you the lowest paid sale price - but sometimes it can pay off

2 people gave me things from the same store & I returned them both in exchange for a gift card - which I thought anything better than 2 things cluttering up my house

it paid off - waiting for sales to buy myself a present with their presents to make the most of the monies

Liba

Post Sun, Apr 21 2013, 5:49 pm
Mazal tov!! You should have much nachas from your new baby.

I don't give gift receipts. I never have. They aren't offered here, and plus, I usually buy baby gifts on clearance at the end of a season. When we lived in the states I used to buy stretchies for $2-$5 at the Carter's outlet. I stocked up and gave them out as the babies were born. I didn't have the budget to spend $10-$20 whenever anyone had a baby. It wasn't worth the $2 I spent for anyone to drive the hour or more try to exchange them even if they had the receipt.

I am sorry you were disappointed.

Raisin

Post Sun, Apr 21 2013, 5:53 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
I like to give a gift receipt but I don't expect a kimputurin to run around exchanging gifts.

actually, thats why a gift receipt is so useful. If someone gives me an outfit from the gap, with no receipt, I need to get there asap to return it, should it be something I don't want or need, because if it goes in sale I won't get the full value. With the receipt I can hold onto it for a few weeks until I feel up to getting to the shops and not have to worry about that.

watergirl

Post Sun, Apr 21 2013, 6:19 pm
Liba wrote:
Mazal tov!! You should have much nachas from your new baby.

I don't give gift receipts. I never have. They aren't offered here, and plus, I usually buy baby gifts on clearance at the end of a season. When we lived in the states I used to buy stretchies for $2-$5 at the Carter's outlet. I stocked up and gave them out as the babies were born. I didn't have the budget to spend $10-$20 whenever anyone had a baby. It wasn't worth the $2 I spent for anyone to drive the hour or more try to exchange them even if they had the receipt.

I am sorry you were disappointed.

Firstly, I wasn't disappointed, I am shocked that these people gave me anything at all!!! Maybe I am still new in this community and this is the norm here but not what I am used to.

Also, I didn't think if what you said - buying at the end of the season cheaply and giving them next year. That's a good idea, and I am sure that's what people did.

To those who said they go back to the store the gift came from - if I had any clue where that was, I would! But maybe just donate the ones I don't like or cant use. That's a good idea also.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Apr 21 2013, 7:31 pm
I re gifted once and the lady said it was too small and she wanted something else. It was very awkward as at that time I also bought on clearence. I couldn't really afford to give better gifts than that

chocolate chips

Post Sun, Apr 21 2013, 8:27 pm
Gift receipts are nice especially if you know the lady will get a lot of presents or even if not, she may be left with 10 of the same size baby sleepsuit when she only needs one!

I got gift receipts on most of my gifts and what I didn't I still exchanged but only because I was in the UK, I got A LOT of 0-3 months which my baby only wore for 4 weeks and I was leaving for America 4 weeks pp so I ran around exchanging stuff for bigger sizes.
People who gave me gifts knew I would so they gave a gift receipt or they just gave me vouchers for a certain store.

I personally don't really give gifts and when I do it is one of the onesies I bought in the UK for a good price, but they are 3-6 months and great for winter or summer so it is very average good to have thing, for the diaper bag or something, I don't mind giving it without gift receipt.

shiffycc

Post Sun, Apr 21 2013, 9:19 pm
wtvr wrote:
Here are some of the reasons I can think of why there is no gift receipt.

1- as Raisin mentioned, they got a really good deal, and don't want you to realize that they paid so little.

2- Many people stock up on gifts, so they don't want you do know/realize that the gift was actually purchased 3 months ago, or, in that case, the gift receipt is no longer valid anyway.

3- Many smaller stores (non-chains, etc), don't offer the option of a gift receipt.

These are al reasons why I may have given gifts without a reciept. One other reason is that I may have bought something I loved for one of my kids and never got the chance to use it. Sometimes its a waste to let something special go unused.
in general, I would regift but only if I was %100 positive that the two people would never know each other(ie the one who gave it to me and the one im giving to) for example, if they lived in different states. And I would only give something I would like myself, or at least that I wouldn't mind. Once I did give a large bag of slightly used/regifted items to someone I thought could really use it, and I told her that some were handme downs and some were things I didn't get around to using. I think she was very appreciative.

rachelbg

Post Sun, Apr 21 2013, 9:59 pm
Mazel Tov!

Do the gifts at least have tags on them?

If so, with a little online research you can find out which stores carry which brands, and we have found that in general, stores are pretty understanding when it comes to accepting back a baby gift item without a receipt but with tags still on it.

Straight-up Carter's can usually be returned anywhere, but call the stores to make sure before going in. Carter's also has different subsets which are sold in different stores - you can google the different Carter's subsets to find out where they are sold. You will probably receive store credit for these types of things, possibly for the lowest price that the item has ever been sold for in that store.

We found that with dh doing thorough (albeit not that time consuming) research and phone calling, we were able to return loads of stuff that came without receipts, made off with lots of store credit, and were using it to pay for ds's wardrobe well into his first year!

nyer1

Post Thu, Apr 25 2013, 8:35 am
I also received a lot of gifts without gift receipts for whatever reason. The only reason why it was annoying was because they were almost all in a 3 month size. My baby was over 8 lbs so he grew out of that size so quickly... So I didn't want to use all of the 3 month stuff, I would returned whatever I could. But in the end, I have a lot of unworn 3 month outfits. Maybe gd willing if I have another boy one day then I can use it then... But no guarantees obviously
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette