Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Getting a new employee, would love some good advise...

Shira1

Post Thu, Apr 25 2013, 8:34 am
I'm taking in now a new employee and would love to hear from you some good tips and advise how to be friendly & warm yet proffesional, want her to take work really serious but @ the same time I want her to love it. Thanks everyone!

Mrs Bissli

Post Thu, Apr 25 2013, 1:48 pm
OP, that sounds very throughtful. The most important part: make sure she gets introduced to other (relevant) staff. Not just their names but everyone's roles in the company. We usually do the "new joiners walk"--show around the office, where things are located (stationery, kitchen, loo, copymachine, printer).

Is the new joiner totally new to the industry/function/work? Would she/he need a mentor? For mutual benefits, are there general job description?

I presume you're the employer/manager. Is organising a welcome lunch or a drink an option?

On a very small thing, but make sure there's a desk with working PC and phone, whatever stationery that's standard.

Shira1

Post Fri, Apr 26 2013, 8:30 am
Thank you Bissli, will try to show her everything beforehand. It's quite a big bussiness but not many staffmembers. The thing is that we're close in age so I want to be friendly with her but don"t want her to feel after a while equal, I still want her to take all the rules serious. People told me better stay more to the stricter side and keep distance but I don't feel like doing it (don't wanna be bossy, you know?)

Mrs Bissli

Post Fri, Apr 26 2013, 8:37 am
I hear you, Shira1. Good idea to communicate rules upfront.

Though no need to be stern/schoolma'amish. Friendly and Professional, Collegial are the keywords.
I'm sure friendship would develop through time, even building up on small chitchat (ie watercooler talks).

lili123

Post Fri, Apr 26 2013, 9:26 am
From my experience the best way is what is called stewardship: you tell her about the job and you tell her upfront that the two of you will talk once every few days/once a week for a set amount of time to review any issues.

Also offer her to approach you with any questions and reassure it's OK (some new employees are so afraid to seem clueless they'll make the matters worse when everything can be resolved with a simple question).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics