Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Netting in Chicken Soup to prevent scum???

amother

Post Thu, May 02 2013, 1:47 pm
I heard some women recently discussing about a new product which is some sort of netting that you put the raw chicken and veggies into when preparing chicken soup. All the scum stays in the netting so you do not have to clean the soup while it's starting to cook. Anyone hear of this? Where can I buy it, and what is it called? Does it need hashgocha?

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, May 02 2013, 1:49 pm
Roast it first before you put it in soup. Re hashgacha, most of the major kashrut orgs don't thing non food items need hashgacha but you should ask your rabbi.

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, May 02 2013, 1:50 pm
Cheesecloth works.

Ema of 5

Post Thu, May 02 2013, 1:51 pm
amother wrote:
I heard some women recently discussing about a new product which is some sort of netting that you put the raw chicken and veggies into when preparing chicken soup. All the scum stays in the netting so you do not have to clean the soup while it's starting to cook. Anyone hear of this? Where can I buy it, and what is it called? Does it need hashgocha?

I used to use them, but they didnt keep the scum out. I used them just to separate the chicken and the veggies. my sister told me that if you boil the water first (without anything in it) and then lower the flame and THEN put everything in, yo wont get scum. ive been doing it for about 2 years now, and I never have scum in my soup.

busydev

Post Thu, May 02 2013, 1:54 pm
I do a trick someone said here.

I boil up water with the chicken and after its boiling a few minutes I pour off the water and rinse of the chicken and the pot (have a hose in my sink so fairly easy) then refill with water and add the rest of the ingredients.

I dont think those bags keep scum out but just keep the veggies from getting mushed into the soup (no small pieces of carrots etc floating around) so it makes for a cleaner soup- plus its easier to give veggies/chicken to those who want instead of fishing around the pot.

and its not a very new product.

Ema of 5

Post Thu, May 02 2013, 2:18 pm
chanamiriam wrote:
Roast it first before you put it in soup. Re hashgacha, most of the major kashrut orgs don't thing non food items need hashgacha but you should ask your rabbi.

they do come with a hashgacha on them, and I think the reason is because you are cooking it with your soup. its not like a pan or a plate or something that you are putting the food ON or IN, it is cooking together. there are a few different brands, but assuming you live in a largely populated area, they should be available in your local grocery store. I know the ones here (far rockaway/5 towns) sell them.

Mama Bear

Post Thu, May 02 2013, 2:21 pm
Its called Wrap n Boil bags and I use them. But my real trick for keeping the shmutz out is putting in a tomato. it attracts all the shmutz.

anotherima

Post Thu, May 02 2013, 2:55 pm
"I boil up water with the chicken and after its boiling a few minutes I pour off the water and rinse of the chicken and the pot (have a hose in my sink so fairly easy) then refill with water and add the rest of the ingredients. "

GREAT IDEA!

Ema of 5

Post Thu, May 02 2013, 2:56 pm
Either parsley or dill also attracts it (I think parsley but I'm not sure) but I don't do that cuz I don't like stuff floating in my soup.

Mrs Bissli

Post Thu, May 02 2013, 7:37 pm
Yup, as MamaBear said, it's Wrap n'Boil made by Landau, a package has about 8 net bags. I don't think it's anything new as I've been using them for good 7-8 years at least, if not longer.

I think it does work to some degree, because when the soup is done, the net is filled with scum. Though like other posters, I use it so that the chicken carcasse and giblet bits don't break and leave tiny bones in the pot. Personally I don't put the veggies in the net as my family llike to eat them with the soup. But for chicken bits I just chuck the net afterwards.

If you really want clean soup, you can either clarify with eggshells, or easier yet, just let it cool in the fridge overnight. You can skim off the fat on the top, just ladle without disturbing the sediment on the bottom.

shanie5

Post Thu, May 02 2013, 10:38 pm
I was told by professional chefs that when the soup starts boiling, you should skim the scum off the top. Do it a couple times. Works great when I remember to do this.

IMHopinion

Post Thu, May 02 2013, 11:17 pm
Mama bear, doesn't the tomato give a strong taste in the soup?

granolamom

Post Thu, May 02 2013, 11:23 pm
eema of 3 wrote:
Either parsley or dill also attracts it (I think parsley but I'm not sure) but I don't do that cuz I don't like stuff floating in my soup.

I put the parsley and dill in the bodek bags, not only does it keep the 'stuff' from floating in the soup but when I take it out its full of the scum. the little thats left gets skimmed off with the fat when the soup is cool.

watergirl

Post Thu, May 02 2013, 11:45 pm
I let my soup come to a boil once, skim it, then lower it to a slow simmer and keep an eye on it. I cook it low for hours. There is scum at the initial boil, which I skim off, then there really is no need to skim it again. I was told by a chef that the trick is to not let it boil at all after the initial one.

BTW, I put the chicken, veg, spices in with cold water and bring it to a boil all together. The end result is a beautiful golden color, and the broth is clear (meaning, golden in color but not foggy).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen