Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Can someone start an "I'm a balebusta AMA" thread?
Previous  1  2  3  4

tissues

Post Sun, Apr 21 2013, 10:18 pm
EmesOrNT wrote:
tissues wrote:
Next topic in balebustishkeit:

How do you clean vertical window shades? How often? How about the windows themselves? When do you do them? Pesach cleaning and ?

How about the insides of kitchen cabinets? once a year is not enough but it's not part of my weekly shabbas cleaning so I find I never get to them.

How do you store veggies in your frigde? Do you have special container (crisper?) to keep em fresh longer?

where do you store baby stuff you don't currently need but will use again in the future, such as bassinet, baby swing, infant seat. These are big, clusmsy items and don't fit anywhere. I have no storage in my apt.

Do you keep kids clothes from child to child or buy new each time? I like to save but the storage is a hassle.

Does starch for shirts ruin the iron? How often do you replace ironing board cover?

I don't have vertical shades. My cleaning girl does the windows by rotation, so each windo gets cleaned at least once a month.

I'm constantly organizing and rearranging my cabinets, so I wipe them down every so often. Plus, I make sure everything is packaged and stored well, so the shelves themselves don't ever get dirty. The outsides get a scrubbing with pledge once every other week.

My veggies are stored in the crisper, but they don't last long. I don't buy very many, anyway.

I give away my baby things.

I save clothes, because I have 3 boys, but I don't always end up using it. I have a friend who shops in my closets for her boys.

I give my shirts to the cleaners.

You're smart! You let others do some of your work. I can't afford it... Crying

Flower Girl

Post Sun, Apr 21 2013, 10:26 pm
tissues wrote:
EmesOrnot, I bought a Sam Rose pants which they said is the best one (they mentioned All Navy and Eland but this keeps the longest). $21. I bought one pair. My heart hurts to spend so much! But then again, I used to shop department stores and those are over after two wearings.

How about Shabbas shoes for boys? (Girls are easier to find in dept stores.)

Next Direct has beautiful Shabbos pants for boys 13-15 dollars. My boys wore them through the winter and they look brand new. They have a few different styles and colors I had 4 different ones for both weekday and Shabbos and all of them were great!

Flower Girl

Post Sun, Apr 21 2013, 10:30 pm
tissues wrote:
How do you clean white shirts? My dh wears them all week and they are black at the collar and black at the cuffs. How can I clean those? With minimal effort, of course!

Ok here's what I use. It's called Woolite Oxy Deep carpet stain and odor remover. I spray it up before putting it in the laundry basket and it comes out of the washing machine stain free.

prinsali2004

Post Mon, Apr 22 2013, 6:19 am
sarahd wrote:
OOOOOH!! Is this going to be an I'm a laundry expert ask me anything thread?!

Here's my question: The water here is very hard. All the whites, especially dh's shirts, have turned gray and all the coloreds are dull. How do I get everything back to the color it's supposed to be?

I use the tide liqued some sano exygn and fabric sftner in every loud but for whites I add in this powder called ran (riesh nun) it dosint remove stains its for keeping things white instead of getting grey. you can find it at any big super market. its fairly cheap around 15 shek and lasts for a while.

good luck!

prinsali2004

Post Mon, Apr 22 2013, 6:20 am
sarahd wrote:
OOOOOH!! Is this going to be an I'm a laundry expert ask me anything thread?!

Here's my question: The water here is very hard. All the whites, especially dh's shirts, have turned gray and all the coloreds are dull. How do I get everything back to the color it's supposed to be?

I use the tide liqued some sano exygn and fabric sftner in every lode but for whites I add in this powder called ran (riesh nun) it dosint remove stains its for keeping things white instead of getting grey. you can find it at any big super market. its fairly cheap around 15 shek and lasts for a while.

good luck!

sarahd

Post Mon, Apr 22 2013, 6:53 am
EmesOrNT wrote:
tissues wrote:
I need tips on how to do the lukshen. Dh loves it and for me it's too mcuh work cooking it up for one person. (Kids don't eat it). If I could do it once and have it forever (almost Wink ), I'd do it for him. I do kishke for cholent like this again because only he eats. I make and freeze for 5 weeks at a time.

So advice for frozen portions of lukshen welcome.

I cook up a whole pot, drain and add a bit of oil so it doesn't clump. Then I separate it into small bekelech and cover well. Voila.

I do the same, except I divide the lukshen into baggies and take one out every week. Baggies are easier to store, IME.

chocolate chips

Post Mon, Apr 22 2013, 11:59 am
I was a balebusta on erev pesach, oh and the shabbos after pesach when my dh told me that I am making fun of the word balabusta *blushing*

But I am hopeless at washing and stains, I just stick it in the machine, if it is too dirty to wash I buy something new and I never spend a lot so I don't feel bad doing that.

tissues

Post Sun, Apr 28 2013, 8:51 pm
Thanks ladies! First time since I got married that I made lukshen for shabbas! And now I have for the next eight shabbasim (less if I'll serve it shavuos). You gave me the push to go ahead and do it.

Any other recommendations for where to shop for kids clothes at good prices?

ra_mom

Post Sun, Apr 28 2013, 9:02 pm
Crazy8 and target.

Cookies n Cream

Post Sun, Apr 28 2013, 9:02 pm
Target and Gap-only when it's 30% off.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Apr 28 2013, 9:05 pm
Gap has 30% off until midnight tonight.

frosting

Post Thu, May 02 2013, 1:55 pm
if you call gap /old navy and ask for a discount they usually will give it even if there is no sale then.

paprika

Post Thu, May 02 2013, 10:39 pm
For tough stains on white shirts, shpritz St. Moritz and wash right away. Works like magic.

Sam Rose pants are great and the cut is super. Very slim, though.

Simple1

Post Thu, May 02 2013, 11:19 pm
paprika wrote:
For tough stains on white shirts, shpritz St. Moritz and wash right away. Works like magic.

Sam Rose pants are great and the cut is super. Very slim, though.

Be careful with St. Moritz. It's extremely dangerous if it gets on your skin. I personally wouldn't use it.

paprika

Post Fri, May 03 2013, 1:00 am
I usually put on gloves when I use St. Moritz. If I'm lazy to put on gloves I wash my hands immediately after using it or if it got onto my hands. If used with caution, it's a great detergent. It saved me from throwing out many shirts.

tissues

Post Fri, May 03 2013, 2:00 pm
I don't want St. Moritz in my house. I've heard too many horrifying stories...
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics