Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Where's the chopped liver?!

amother

Post Sun, May 05 2013, 12:22 pm
Is there a chopped liver shortage? My local kosher grocery told me that International Glatt chopped liver stopped making it for some reason. I even checked in a Brooklyn grocery recently and they did not have any brand of chopped liver.
Am I just looking in the wrong places or is there some kind of liver deficit?
(lol, for some reason this post sounds funny and trivial. Maybe because it's all about chopped liver. But it's not a laughing matter to my DH!)

Liba

Post Sun, May 05 2013, 12:24 pm
Do you want recipes?

I have great chopped liver in my fridge. Smile If you can get roasted livers and have a fleishig food processor, blender or stick blender (my personal favorite) it is really quite simple.

amother

Post Sun, May 05 2013, 12:28 pm
Yes, thank you!
The only thing about buying the roasted livers is that they are so much more expensive than the chopped, unless if you add other ingredients to it and then put it in a food processor maybe you can squeeze more servings out of it that way? I never tried it.

Liba

Post Sun, May 05 2013, 12:32 pm
It doesn't take so much liver to get liver spread.

I boil 11 eggs, shell them, take one container of roasted liver, saute the liver with two chopped onions, put it all in a container and puree, add salt to taste.

Liba

Post Sun, May 05 2013, 12:33 pm
FWIW it freezes well. I divide it into containers and freeze part of it before Shabbos.

merelyme

Post Sun, May 05 2013, 1:45 pm
Hey, what am I?

happy2beme

Post Sun, May 05 2013, 2:44 pm
I know!!
Our whole family misses it too!
I asked in the grocery store, they said the factory got ruined by hurricane sandy.

Raisin

Post Sun, May 05 2013, 2:52 pm
amother wrote:
Yes, thank you!
The only thing about buying the roasted livers is that they are so much more expensive than the chopped, unless if you add other ingredients to it and then put it in a food processor maybe you can squeeze more servings out of it that way? I never tried it.

I'm sure the ready made liver has lots of added ingredients. I'll bet its cheaper to make your own.

amother

Post Sun, May 05 2013, 5:52 pm
Thanks for the recipe, Liba.

Happy2beme - I knew there must be a reason!

paprika

Post Sun, May 05 2013, 7:06 pm
Add a little bit of sugar or any sugar substitute to Liba's recipe. It makes a huge difference.

paprika

Post Sun, May 05 2013, 7:09 pm
I do 2 eggs to about 1/2 lb. of liver and 2 large onions.

amother

Post Sun, May 05 2013, 7:33 pm
I miss the Intl Glatt liver also! I think their plant had a fire and they were unable to produce for some time.

paprika

Post Sun, May 05 2013, 7:47 pm
I forgot...alot of oil.

greenfire

Post Mon, May 06 2013, 12:17 pm
if you find a butcher that also sells take out - you might also find freshly broiled & chopped liver ...

I personally don't like eggs as a filler

broiled chicken liver, fried onions along with the oil you fry them & mix them in a meaty food processor

goes great with a ba'tampte garlic dill pickle

mommyhood

Post Mon, May 06 2013, 12:45 pm
My local deli/Shabbos takeout place makes their own chopped liver. Maybe some Brooklyn amothers can tell you where you can find it there.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen