Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
New baby gift for morah

Teacup9

Post Wed, May 08 2013, 8:56 pm
What is a good new baby gift for a playgroup Morah I like? My daughter went to camp and school with her and my next daughter will be attending camp, IY'H. My instinct is to give gelt because the truth is life costs money and I have no idea how many special expensive blankets or fancy knit clothes or plain cotton onesies she already has. However I also know that getting money from a parent who regularly writes you a check might feel a little weird. And I myself find it hard to find time to return gifts with gift receipts or to use gift cards after just having a baby.

Any idea's or thoughts imamothers?

esmom

Post Wed, May 08 2013, 11:10 pm
As a playgroup morah myself I would say its not weird to give cash though all year you have been giving checks . All the more so it is the most appreciated gift you can get. Other options that are also appreciated are carriage toys , crib mobiles or toys for an older jealous sibling if applicable.

watergirl

Post Wed, May 08 2013, 11:22 pm
When I was a preschool morah, I had a baby in June, so many of my end of the year gifts were also baby gifts. The best one was a wealthy parent who literally called me from Target and said she was looking at the strollers, pack n plays, (big ticket items) and which one specifically do I need. She didn't say "want" and it made it not awkward at all. Also, I got lots of diapers, which was amazing. Also, someone gave a gift for ME, like a hot rice pack, and another one was a gift from bath and body works for a new mom. Very awesome gift.

Teacup9

Post Wed, May 08 2013, 11:51 pm
Thanks for the responses. I am definitely not the wealthy mother type, but that was very thoughtful of her. I think it will be a struggle to put my youngest (not for long) in camp, but I know myself and that I just can't function with a newborn and toddler at home, still I feel incredibly guilty about it.

It's good to hear gelt is appreciated. That is what I figured, though sometimes I feel bad when someone I know isn't so well to do hands me $36 or $50 or whatever, but I was hoping a nice card would go a long way. When I think about the costs for a kiddish or bris, diapers like you mentioned (but I don't know her brand), formula if she is using, etc and knowing that she is going to be back to work soon it just seems like every little bit helps.

The other thought I had was a gift card to a nearby (walking distance from her house and playgroup) store where she can get anything from a baby blanket and cute newborn things or headbands for older children or even necessities like stockings. Or I could pick something out from there and include a gift receipt.

busydev

Post Thu, May 09 2013, 12:01 pm
I would get a gift card to target, amazon.com or the like. (I wouldnt do baby's'r'us cause they are often more $$). this way you arent giving straight cash/check if that seems weird to you (tho I personally think its fine) and she can get what she needs.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette