Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Charley Horse question- do I exercise today or wait?

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Mon, May 20 2013, 7:14 am
I exercised seriously yesterday for the first time in months; I did 50 minutes of a toning/aerobics DVD. (Insert pat myself on the back emotiocon here!)

Today, every part of my body is severely charley horse! Do I exercise again today anyway, or should I wait until tomorrow? I think I once read that muscles need 48 hours to recover, or is that my laziness talking?

smss

Post Mon, May 20 2013, 7:22 am
wow, that's a lot. I like to start small when getting back into exercise and increase it slowly - starting with something like 15 minutes. if you're in that much pain I'd wait till tomorrow and then do it for at least half the time, maybe even less.

spring13

Post Mon, May 20 2013, 7:31 am
Definitely stretch today, and maybe do a shorter, milder workout. There might be something on hulu if you don't have a video for something like that - there are some 12 minute pilates and yoga routines. And soak in a hot bath!

fiddle

Post Mon, May 20 2013, 7:33 am
I would work out again, not toning, as toning should be done every other day. better keep those muscles moving then let them rest.

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Mon, May 20 2013, 7:59 am
Thanks, everyone!

Yes, I should've started slower, but I was already in workout clothing and found the DVD, so I decided to keep going... so today I'm in pain, but it's a good kind of pain:)

greenfire

Post Mon, May 20 2013, 8:59 am
if you over do it ~ you're gonna put yourself out of commission ...

take a hot shower for your muscles then go for a walk today ...

Maya

Post Mon, May 20 2013, 9:43 am
You're supposed to skip a day after toning. You can probably do some walking or similar, but not the same DVD you did yesterday. My trainer says to give the muscles a rest for one day, but I can continue with the same toning after that day even if the muscles are still sore.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, May 20 2013, 4:22 pm
If it was a real Charley Horse, you couldn't move that muscle for several days or even weeks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charley_horse

If you're just very sore, that's something else.

black sheep

Post Mon, May 20 2013, 4:24 pm
if you did toning, then today do cardio. walking is the best when you are charlie horse. the extra circulation during cardio will help your charlie horse heal faster.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise