Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Bulgur

lst

Post Mon, May 20 2013, 5:46 am
Can bulgur be used instead of couscous or rice?
When I make stir fry, I usually have veggies and chicken served with couscous or rice, can I use bulgur instead? Would I just make it plain, or should I add spices?

etky

Post Mon, May 20 2013, 6:13 am
lst wrote:
Can bulgur be used instead of couscous or rice?
When I make stir fry, I usually have veggies and chicken served with couscous or rice, can I use bulgur instead? Would I just make it plain, or should I add spices?

I use bulgur interchangeably with couscous in several recipes. I like the coarse kind for most dishes. If you're using it as a base for stir-fry then a little olive oil and some salt is enough seasoning IMO, since it will absorb the stir-fry seasonings.

tsiggelle

Post Mon, May 20 2013, 9:32 am
Favorite recipe of mine for bulgur is ; rinse well, fry onions, fry in the bulgur, season with favorite seasonings, a few tbs tomato paste and boiling water.

I forgot to add that I put diced tomatoes with the onions.

Last edited by tsiggelle on Mon, May 20 2013, 8:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

lst

Post Mon, May 20 2013, 4:11 pm
thanks!
how long do you fry the bulgur for?and can you use fresh tomato puree instead of canned tomato paste?

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, May 20 2013, 4:44 pm
You don't really need to fry bulghur that long. It's basically sauteeing onion (I usually add chopped celeries and carrots, maybe some mushrooms), just coat gains with oil before adding liquid. Make sure you add HOT liquid, close a lid on the pot and cook for about 20min and let steam for 10min or so. How much water to add depends on the pot and how tight the lid fits, but if I recall I usually use about 1.5parts water to 1 part bulghur (and that's with sauteed veggies that yield slightly more liquid).

You should be able to use either fresh chopped tomato or tinned tomato puree. Though adjust liquid accordingly.

greenfire

Post Mon, May 20 2013, 5:31 pm
forget it ... I am mixing bulghur with buckwheat

tsiggelle

Post Mon, May 20 2013, 6:27 pm
lst wrote:
thanks!
how long do you fry the bulgur for?and can you use fresh tomato puree instead of canned tomato paste?

A minute or two, and you can use puree, but the taste might be different. Adjust amount of water too.

I forgot to add that I put diced tomatoes with the onions.

etky

Post Tue, May 21 2013, 12:29 am
Actually, you don't need to cook bulgur. Soaking does the trick too. I rinse well, soak in cold water for about an hour and then drain. If you're using the bulgur as a base for a salad this method is preferable. If you're serving it as a bed for stir-fry this method is also great. I only cook bulgur when I'm making a seasoned pilaf with onion and other vegetables.

lst

Post Tue, May 21 2013, 6:06 am
thanks
I want to try to get my kids to eat more of it, instead of so much couscous and rice.
Id love good, kid friendly recipes
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking