Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
How much Splenda per day is okay?
Previous  1  2

amother

Post Tue, May 21 2013, 12:58 pm
oliveoil wrote:
You realize that both of those are sugar, right?

Of course! I was trying to avoid splenda and the like if it is so unhealthy.

oliveoil

Post Tue, May 21 2013, 1:09 pm
amother wrote:
oliveoil wrote:
You realize that both of those are sugar, right?

Of course! I was trying to avoid splenda and the like if it is so unhealthy.

Got it. Good for you! Good luck!

greenfire

Post Tue, May 21 2013, 1:38 pm
common argument between dd#1 & dd#2 regarding sugar that can cause diabetes vs diet sugars which are chemicals

have you tried truvia ... supposedly better than splenda

although they all taste like poison to me ...

amother

Post Tue, May 21 2013, 1:45 pm
greenfire wrote:
common argument between dd#1 & dd#2 regarding sugar that can cause diabetes vs diet sugars which are chemicals

have you tried truvia ... supposedly better than splenda

although they all taste like poison to me ...

I have tried truvia/stevia - it has an aftertaste - also I remember a very sick cancer patient being told that he can mix a horrible tasting drug with stevia - I always associate stevia with this illness and have a hard time using it. btw - this cancer patient was told that new cancer cells grow on sugar - so stevia was the safest alternative.

tzfatisha

Post Tue, May 21 2013, 5:41 pm
you have to go cold turkey and give up sugar and sweeteners and all things sweet altogether for about 6 weeks.. and then your taste buds can start to revive and taste the natural sugars in things..
then you won't want all this added sugars and sugar substitutes....
I'm not saying it's easy....
here are a couple of articles...
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foo......html
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/......html

Merrymom

Post Tue, May 21 2013, 11:21 pm
tzfatisha wrote:
you have to go cold turkey and give up sugar and sweeteners and all things sweet altogether for about 6 weeks.. and then your taste buds can start to revive and taste the natural sugars in things..
then you won't want all this added sugars and sugar substitutes....
I'm not saying it's easy....
here are a couple of articles...
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foo......html
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/......html

I don't understand why this is necessary. With the exception of my coffee, I have zero sugar cravings. Just pass the bissli Banging head ...

sleepless mom

Post Tue, May 21 2013, 11:27 pm
Merrymom wrote:
amother wrote:
thank you for your reply. Why isn't splenda good for weight loss? According to weight watchers it is 0 points per packet.

It's made in a lab from chlorine. I would not want that in my body. I've been using xylitol instead.

xylitol is made of chemicals and when I use it I get gassy

Merrymom

Post Tue, May 21 2013, 11:34 pm
sleepless mom wrote:
Merrymom wrote:
amother wrote:
thank you for your reply. Why isn't splenda good for weight loss? According to weight watchers it is 0 points per packet.

It's made in a lab from chlorine. I would not want that in my body. I've been using xylitol instead.

xylitol is made of chemicals and when I use it I get gassy

Who knew? I finally googled it and did not like what I was reading. My concern was more that I'm trying to prevent cavities than not eat sugar. Oh well.

sleepless mom

Post Tue, May 21 2013, 11:34 pm
stevia is supposed to be the healthiest and most natural

mandksima

Post Wed, May 22 2013, 7:51 am
There are a lot of benefits to honey, especially raw but I believe even processed honey is better than sugar anyday. Here is a link to some info about how it can actually help weight loss for some interesting reading: honey weight loss connection

Stevia is probably the best sweetener this thread has mentioned but there have been no long term studies on using it often and in great quantities. I use a few drops in tea sometimes but I don't love the taste. Definitely would not use it to replace sugar in recipes as it would be a huge amount and just because it is natural doesn't mean it is good for you.

Sugar, artificial sweeteners and all sugar alchohols (like the xylitol mentioned) are not healthy and can inhibit weight loss. You will not lose the cravings for sweets. The sugar alcohols can bother you digestive tract as well. Splenda is worse than plain sugar but sugar will sabbotage your diet.

I try to eat some raw honey everyday but I don't put it into my tea as it would destroy the wonderful benefits. For sweetening desserts, I often use pureed dates and bananas. Honey, pure maple syrup and coconut sugar crystals are other good alternatives but honestly, in any diet where you are trying to lose weight, going off sweets entirely is best, especially in the beginning and then slowly add in dried fruits and other beneficial sugars first. Like said earlier, you will really start enjoying the taste of your food and will taste the sweetness in your carrots, cooked onion, sweet potatoes, etc.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise