Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Did you get an msw? from touro?

newly-wed

Post Thu, May 23 2013, 2:40 pm
HI,
I'm applying for grad schools of social work. I considered NYU, Hunter, YU, Adelphi,LIU Post and Fordham.
Due to certain reasons, I couldn't apply earlier and the deadlines for Hunter, Fordham and NYU already passed.

I'm left with YU, LIU, Adelphi and Touro. I went to all open houses I could and came to the conclusion that even though I dont think Touro is the "best" of these schools, its the most convenient for me.
HERE IS WHERE I NEED YOUR ADICE...

-I live in Long Island and am expecting a baby in November. Even though I will be doing part-time and so it will not be as crazy as a schedule, I still find it very important to find a school that offers night classes (so I can be home with the baby during the day) and wont be so hard to commute to.
- I like YU and Touro as options above Adelphi and LIU because they have off for all chagim...very important!!
-YU campus in washington heights will take me much longer to get to then Touro (10 min walk from penn or one ride on subway)
-And in the end of the day, Touro is the cheapest.
Estimated Total for the mws programs: YU- 60 grand. LIU-66 grand. Adelphi-60 grand. Touro- 40 grand.

They are all expensive bc theyre private schools but Touro is the cheapest of all. And so I made a decision on that....BUT THEN....someone told me a few days ago that it will be much harder for me to find a job if I go to touro bc they have a bad reputation apparently and are ranked very low compared to the other schools.
Now, what I want to know is if this is true?
Will it be harder to find a job bc I'm not going to a "better" school. I dont really care so much about the name of the esteem or glory for myself. I'm just focusing on
a. convenient location
b. tuition
c. good school/teachers
d. off for chagim

Thats why to me it makes the most sense to just stick with touro.
Can you alll help me weight out these pros/cons??

I need to apply ASAP!!!
Thanks!!

if anyone went to touro for social work and has advice pleasee share!!

healthywoman

Post Thu, May 23 2013, 2:56 pm
sorry honey I dont know where you got your info from but adelphi is more like 80/90.

healthywoman

Post Thu, May 23 2013, 3:06 pm
Liu has program in bklyn on sundays all day and then internship during week.the brooklyn section thru new seminary is about 50k if you get a discount. otherwise its 60 or so. the liu in LI is actually pretty, imo, but they told me it was about 70 something. adelphi is 80/90. touro is about 40 but then again its touro.
although some people say it doesnt matter where u go as long as you have a msw. not sure about that though.

(you could always wait a semester and try fordham. they are 56 but if u get a scholarship its 46 roughly. hunter is obviously the cheapest but very difficult to get in. but if you consider waiting a little it may be worth a shot. )

anyways just thought id give you a more accurate pricing of your options. If you went to touro and were really good at what you do then perhaps people would take you anyways.

good luck

thanks

Post Thu, May 23 2013, 3:48 pm
It's nice to be home with your baby in the day, but newborns don't know the difference between day and night. If you go to school in the day, you can be home with your husband (presumably) and baby at night. It might be easier to find good childcare arrangements in the day. Whatever arrangements you make need to be sustainable so that you will be able to stay in a program. There are lots of drop-outs. (Not saying you would be one of them, but a good arrangement is an important consideration.)

newly-wed

Post Thu, May 23 2013, 5:28 pm
healthywoman wrote:
sorry honey I dont know where you got your info from but adelphi is more like 80/90.

thats so strange bc when I called today and spoke with the admissions office they told me it will be 63, 000 total....

healthywoman

Post Thu, May 23 2013, 5:31 pm
do you have a ba in social work? if not, not sure why they said that.

newly-wed

Post Thu, May 23 2013, 6:27 pm
nope, psychology...

healthywoman

Post Thu, May 23 2013, 6:34 pm
I asked how much a f/t 2 yr program is and they said 80/90. dont know

amother

Post Thu, May 23 2013, 8:28 pm
No one is really answering your question (I think). YU has a very well-respected program with ecxcellent placment. Touro doesn't. If you can swing the tuition, it's much better to know you're more likley to get a ggod job (or any job) when you're through. The time it would take you to get a job coming from Touro (or a job at the same ;evel as a job coming from YU--presuming you're a good student, etc), would more than make up for the tuition in a very short time.

amother

Post Thu, May 23 2013, 10:30 pm
OP, why not consider an online program? They offer a lot more flexibility than a traditional program. Commuting gets exhausting. I'm in an online grad program now (not social work) and a full 1/3 of the students are either expecting or just had a baby! The online format is great for young mothers. But, to be a successful distance learner, you have to be organized and self-motivated, so some people prefer regular classroom settings where your professors are structuring things for you.

I would avoid Touro. A degree from Touro will not open as many doors as a degree from some of the other places you mentioned. And in general you're going to learn more at a higher-caliber school.

amother

Post Thu, May 23 2013, 10:33 pm
I'm in a msw program right now. I'm not in Touro but I also heard that their program is not worth the sweat.

Social work school is rigorous. It'll be harder with a baby. If you asked me, I would say to find a program that would allow you to take classes DURING THE DAY rather than going out at night. It's tough being out at night when you've got a newborn and like somebody already mentioned, how do you plan on finding childcare in the evening? Besides, you are planning to start in September and having a baby in November, which means you will be going to school in the winter. Think winter nights. Uch!

About having off for Yom Tov, most schools are very accommodating to religious holidays. My school does not go according to the Jewish calendar, but I did not attend classes on the holidays and did not get penalized for it. As long as you talk to the professors beforehand there should not be a problem with that. It's social work school after all!

Lots of luck!

newly-wed

Post Fri, May 24 2013, 10:41 am
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE ADVICE above amothers...

The reason I wanted a program with night classes is because of the reason that I WILL in fact have people to watch the baby at nights baruch hashem...my mother works during the days but is free in afternoon and nights and bzh dh will be home by 7 or 8 at nights too. I rather free childcare, with family, that I trust more than if I would go to school during the day and have to find other child care options and obviously need to pay..

But I don't want to go through all this work if everyone agrees that Touro is just not worth it.
YU is way too far for me to get to, so I think I'm putting that out of the picture for now.
I'm gonna work on applying to Adelphi. I'm so sad I missed Fordham's deadline!!!

Does anyone know about LIU Post?

newly-wed

Post Fri, May 24 2013, 10:42 am
And can anyone give me any info on online MSW programs that are accredited and good?
I'm gona do my own homework and research on it too.

Thanks!

newly-wed

Post Fri, May 24 2013, 10:43 am
amother wrote:
I'm in a msw program right now. I'm not in Touro but I also heard that their program is not worth the sweat. !

Do you mind saying what msw program youre in right now? how u like it?

amother

Post Fri, May 24 2013, 7:43 pm
newly-wed wrote:
amother wrote:
I'm in a msw program right now. I'm not in Touro but I also heard that their program is not worth the sweat. !

Do you mind saying what msw program youre in right now? how u like it?

I'm in NYU.

If you'd ask me, I'd tell you to wait and apply to the places that you'd really like to go to instead of settling and going to a place that doesn't really interest you. You have a lot coming up with the baby due in November. It'll take about 2 months to get back to yourself anyway. Before you know it, you are heading towards a new deadline and new opportunities. You could apply and start calmly instead of cramming and ending up unhappy.

I think some schools have classes that start in January. Maybe you could find out about it and apply to those.

Lady Bug

Post Sat, May 25 2013, 10:47 pm
Is there any way for you to get late admission to the schools you really want? Some schools allow that for an extra fee.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics