Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Back yard toys versus Swingset?

misteray

Post Wed, May 29 2013, 10:09 am
We want to redo our backyard to be more kid friendly and can't decide which way to go: backyard toys (eg. roller coaster, jungle gym, see-saw/teeter totter etc.) or swingset.We have 3 kids right now K"EH- a 4 yo, 2 3/4 yo, and baby.
My thought was to do the toys right now and in couple of years if we want to get a swingset to sell the toys then. My DH says to just go for the swings now. I just figured they are little kids and smaller toys are fun for them and also safer (especially if I plan on letting them play in the back by themselves for a little bit here and there). Plus, neither know how to pump on the swings yet anyway and I'm not so interested in standing out there pushing...

What's your thought? What do you kids like to play with outside? Even the older ones... how long is the playing lifetime of a swing set anyway?

Thanks!

MimiMommy

Post Wed, May 29 2013, 10:15 am
We have 2 swings (regular one and baby swing), and a slide. My kids are around the same ages as yours. I think it was definitely worth it to install the equipment- they get more use out of it than toys, and we have room for a few toys back there anyway ( we're in Brooklyn so our backyard is tiny). They'll outgrow the toys much sooner than a swing set so if you have the money I'd do it now. It's like having a park in your backyard!

misteray

Post Wed, May 29 2013, 11:37 am
[quote="MimiMommy"]We have 2 swings (regular one and baby swing), and a slide. My kids are around the same ages as yours. I think it was definitely worth it to install the equipment- they get more use out of it than toys, and we have room for a few toys back there anyway ( we're in Brooklyn so our backyard is tiny). They'll outgrow the toys much sooner than a swing set so if you have the money I'd do it now. It's like having a park in your backyard![/quote]

Thanks for the opinion! If we were to get a swingset, it will be the big wooden one with a lot more things to get hurt with... and have fun with, I know! Our backyard is big enough for both, but we don't want to have it cluttered with both toys and swings bec. then they won't be able to run around too.

So, my main issue is the getting hurt part on the swing (it's happened by neighbor's already) and having to push them. Does it make any sense to do the toys first and swing later? Will my 4 yo outgrow them all by next summer? Although he loves riding his bike, so he can always be entertained with that.

saw50st8

Post Wed, May 29 2013, 11:50 am
We got a small slide/climber thing from step 2, but they outgrow it quickly. We are going to install a swing set either this summer or next.

I would do a swing set.

farm

Post Wed, May 29 2013, 11:53 am
Swingset

misteray

Post Wed, May 29 2013, 12:44 pm
So nobody agrees with my thought?

Ema of 5

Post Wed, May 29 2013, 12:53 pm
misteray wrote:
MimiMommy wrote:
We have 2 swings (regular one and baby swing), and a slide. My kids are around the same ages as yours. I think it was definitely worth it to install the equipment- they get more use out of it than toys, and we have room for a few toys back there anyway ( we're in Brooklyn so our backyard is tiny). They'll outgrow the toys much sooner than a swing set so if you have the money I'd do it now. It's like having a park in your backyard!

Thanks for the opinion! If we were to get a swingset, it will be the big wooden one with a lot more things to get hurt with... and have fun with, I know! Our backyard is big enough for both, but we don't want to have it cluttered with both toys and swings bec. then they won't be able to run around too.

So, my main issue is the getting hurt part on the swing (it's happened by neighbor's already) and having to push them. Does it make any sense to do the toys first and swing later? Will my 4 yo outgrow them all by next summer? Although he loves riding his bike, so he can always be entertained with that.

so get the bigger swing set that has other things on it, and just take off the swing seats until you are ready for your kids to go on them. part of being a kid is getting hurt. I dont mean that you should let your kids run loose in the streets, but part of playing is occasionally getting hurt. it happens and they get over it, usually much faster than the parents do.

misteray

Post Wed, May 29 2013, 2:38 pm
Eema of 3- I definitely know that's true about taking longer for the parents to get over it! But, my issue is with the ladders and climbing stuff, not the swing so much- safety-wise. My 2 3/4 yo is tiny, but adventurous and falls through the rungs... btdt! That's what is so scary for me!

Ema of 5

Post Wed, May 29 2013, 2:47 pm
misteray wrote:
Eema of 3- I definitely know that's true about taking longer for the parents to get over it! But, my issue is with the ladders and climbing stuff, not the swing so much- safety-wise. My 2 3/4 yo is tiny, but adventurous and falls through the rungs... btdt! That's what is so scary for me!

I know what you mean- my almost 4 yer old is quite precocious, and she is also really pitzy and still slips through sometimes, although she can usually prevent herself from falling.
as I see it you have two choices
1. always be right there when they are playing outside to minimize injury
or
2. get a smaller one for now, and upgrade later. you can get something like this
http://www.toysrus.com/product.....80916
or
http://www.toysrus.com/product.....10506
they have fun things to do, but are not as big as the full sized ones

busydev

Post Wed, May 29 2013, 2:51 pm
well practice makes perfect... and they will grow... so you only have to deal with aches till then. Very Happy

in all seriousness tho what about getting one of those rubber mats that playgrounds have to put under areas that make you nervous? so at least there will be some extra cushioning if a fall were to happen. I would take off the swings and put a couple back yard toys under that area. and put in a baby swing for when you would want to sit outside and push.

and they can fall off jungle gyms and other backyard toys as well. my son broke his leg falling from the seat of the car to the foot well - not even 2 feet down! He has fallen many times over longer distances and been fine other then a black and blue mark. and he is covered in those anyways from small and large falls and bumps.

smoms

Post Wed, May 29 2013, 10:18 pm
I chose to do toys in my backyard versus a swingset for pretty much the same reasons you mentioned.
I don't want to push and I was afraid of kids hurting themselves.
I got a teeter totter and a small trampoline (with an enclosure)

So far, my kids are loving it.

granolamom

Post Wed, May 29 2013, 10:22 pm
we got a swingset when my oldest was 18 mo.
when the kids were little (say 5,3, and 1) it was a real pain. I mean I love my kids but after pushing them on swings taking turns for 30 min, I'm DONE. especially when I was pg. and climbing up with them to help them on the slide was no fun either. no one ever fell BH.
ours doesnt have much of a ladder, its got different levels that you climb up to the slide, more similar to steps.
now, my kids are older (3-14) and they LOVE the swingset. they can go outside shabbos afternoon and play all day long without me.
I do regret not having backyard toys for the toddlers, but as my dh points out, that's only good until you get the swings. so if your oldest is ready for swings, your youngest will not want to stay off the swingset and play on the toys. so what are you going to do, wait until your youngest is 6 yo? by then, your older children will have missed out.
I say go with the swingset, and maybe one of two backyard toys like a little tykes slide or something. get the swings that have a back (toddler swings, I think they are called) and set them really low down (not great for the adult pushing but easier for the child to learn to get on/off himself and eventually pump his own swing).
also, we have wood, and I do not recommend. it does rot (and we do our best to maintain but even so) and the wood bees nest in it doing lots of damage. If I were doing it over we'd get the pvc or whatever they make them out of these days.

cs1

Post Wed, May 29 2013, 10:35 pm
I got my sister a 14 ft trampoline last year. her kids are 8,7, 5, 3 and a baby - and they all absolutely love it. (eccept for baby obviously,)
they are outdoors all summer long jumping and flippin away

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, May 29 2013, 10:42 pm
We have this at work and the kids (toddler and preschool age) love it. It's pretty safe, the whole thing is quite low to the ground so a fall isn't a big deal.

http://www.step2.com/p/Clubhouse-Climber
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics