Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
What kind of animal does this?

amother

Post Sat, Jun 08 2013, 10:46 pm
A corner of my roof has been "vandalized". The gutter has been bent out of shape and part of it is twisted out, the roof itself has been pulled up on the corner and the metal part underneath the overhang of the roof (no idea what that is called) has been ripped off.
And this all occurred on Shabbos at 3:30 am. I know this because I HEARD the metal ripping. It went on for about 10 minutes I'm guessing. I didn't know what it was, I thought someone was breaking into my basement door (which is directly below that corner of the roof). I was terrified.
When I went to investigate this morning, I found the destruction.

It looks like some animal was trying to make it's home under my roof. We had squirrels up there when we first moved in, as there was a hole in the flashing at the time. But what could be strong enough to bend the metal like that? Surely not squirrels?

naturalmom5

Post Sat, Jun 08 2013, 10:52 pm
Woodchucks
Raccoons

ElTam

Post Sun, Jun 09 2013, 12:08 am
My bet would be a raccoon.

Happy18

Post Sun, Jun 09 2013, 12:13 am
Another guess for raccoon. Call pest control asap and get it checked out.

greenfire

Post Sun, Jun 09 2013, 9:01 am
why didn't you stop them at 3 am ?

yeah racoons are FUN when they don't move in ...

do you have a tree close to your roof ? because that is one important reason to trim branches away from house

Eemaof3

Post Sun, Jun 09 2013, 10:15 am
Raccoons or possums

amother

Post Sun, Jun 09 2013, 11:07 pm
Sounds like what happened to me, but it wasn't an animal, it was Hurricane Sandy!

amother

Post Mon, Jun 10 2013, 7:46 am
I had a problem with a hole in my roof and didnt know it until I had some special visitors in my house: squirrels! so make sure to take care of it ASAP.

amother

Post Mon, Jun 10 2013, 2:47 pm
And after Hurricane Sandy left a hole in my roof, the squirrels took up residence.

Mothballs are good for getting rid of them, but not so good for the humans in the house. Flashing strobe lights are good, you can get little flashing lights in a dollar store.

granolamom

Post Tue, Jun 11 2013, 4:56 pm
I wouldnt bother with the lights or mothballs. get rid of the animals asap and then fix the damage so another animal doesnt move in. once they have babies, racoons or squirrels dont go anywhere for a while. even if you flash lights at them.
you can buy traps, but honestly, I'd hire someone to do it. racoons can get nasty.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics