Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
What to eat to combat cravings?

amother

Post Mon, Jun 24 2013, 11:20 pm
I recently started the Eat Clean Diet- thank god I'm loving it, I feel great, am sleeping better, have clearer skin etc. My problem is I have late night cravings, esp since I work out at night and am more hungry because of it. Right now I'm cravingggg cookies or cake or pizza or somethinggg like that.
What should I eat??

Yocheved84

Post Mon, Jun 24 2013, 11:23 pm
Almonds! Not the salted or roasted kind. Plain, whole, natural almonds.
Btw, can you share more abt the plan you're on?

amother

Post Mon, Jun 24 2013, 11:31 pm
OP here- oh I didn't mention I hate nuts Smile
Here's a link to their website http://www.eatcleandiet.com/
It's basically no chemicals, no preservatives, no sugar, only 100% whole grain. No empty calories (diet sodas, 'healthy' meal bars etc). More or less nothing man made. Lots of fresh vegetables, lean proteins, seeds, nuts, fruits (limited) and lots, lots of water. 6 small meals a day every 2-3 hours, lean protein and complex carbohydrates. It's a feel good diet and I have tons of energy. It works whether you want to lose 10 or 100 lb. and no calorie counting Smile

Yocheved84

Post Mon, Jun 24 2013, 11:37 pm
Thanks for posting. I'm in desperate need of a plan, so I appreciate the help. Now, for snacks:
1) Air-popped (no butter, no nada) popcorn.
2) (I know this one sounds crazy but trust me, it's good): Hard-boiled egg with tobasco. It's very filling!
3) Make your own cappuchino--every night, I make decaf espresso on the stove, and then use a milk frother and--with skim milk--froth it up. I add cinnamon to it (so a natural spice), NO splenda. So you're only using 60 calories there w/ the skim milk.
4) Today, I discovered a "healthy" cookie. But I still wouldn't trust it b/c while it has whole oat flour, it has cane sugar!
5) Are you totally opposed to artificial sweeteners? B/c I'd recommend vegetarian jello with fat-free, sugar free whipped cream. (Or make your own whipped cream with the frother and fat-free cream).
6) Again, not a "clean" option, but skinny cow has low-calorie desserts.
7) Trail mix---minus the nuts Wink
***For more ideas, the 17-day diet probably has some good ideas.***
Smile

Yocheved84

Post Mon, Jun 24 2013, 11:39 pm
I realize that we are both on similar plans. Tonight, I was STARVING, so had a turkey burger that was very well-seasoned, topped with an onion and a hot/sour pickle. It was filling and good.

amother

Post Mon, Jun 24 2013, 11:41 pm
Thanks! I made some hard boiled eggs and then I'm just going to call it a day. Obviously my DH is sitting in my face munching on chocolate chip cookies. Some days I love to hate him Smile

Yocheved84

Post Mon, Jun 24 2013, 11:42 pm
amother wrote:
Thanks! I made some hard boiled eggs and then I'm just going to call it a day. Obviously my DH is sitting in my face munching on chocolate chip cookies. Some days I love to hate him Smile

Good for you and your willpower! And ditto with my DH. Ah, men. Smile

amother

Post Mon, Jun 24 2013, 11:45 pm
You're on the 17 day diet? What is it?

Yocheved84

Post Mon, Jun 24 2013, 11:50 pm
amother wrote:

Similar to yours, but a modified version of the 17-day diet, since their suggestion of hot water w lemon plus green tea was too much for my tummy...but I lost 10 pounds the first week. 90 more to go! Here it is: http://17ddblog.com/overview/

mandksima

Post Tue, Jun 25 2013, 1:13 am
Sounds similar to Paleo except for the whole grains. I think giving up the grains might help you get rid of the cravings.

I like making gazpacho and having a cup or bowl of it as a cooling snack. Great to have in the fridge and I make it with a stick blender. You can also make a turkey or lean beef jerky dried out in the oven for a chewy snack and it lasts for a long time.

My biggest problem is not having something appetizing ready in the fridge. I try to keep small portions of things in the freezer to pull out when I need something. Veggie frittata works well.

thinkermother

Post Tue, Jun 25 2013, 1:37 am
Yocheved84 wrote:
amother wrote:

Similar to yours, but a modified version of the 17-day diet, since their suggestion of hot water w lemon plus green tea was too much for my tummy...but I lost 10 pounds the first week. 90 more to go! Here it is: http://17ddblog.com/overview/

how is it similar if the whole premise here is whole grains whereas there grains are not allowed. I followed it for awhile. Lost some weight but so hard to follow thru

amother

Post Tue, Jun 25 2013, 1:42 am
mandksima wrote:
Sounds similar to Paleo except for the whole grains. I think giving up the grains might help you get rid of the cravings.

I like making gazpacho and having a cup or bowl of it as a cooling snack. Great to have in the fridge and I make it with a stick blender. You can also make a turkey or lean beef jerky dried out in the oven for a chewy snack and it lasts for a long time.

My biggest problem is not having something appetizing ready in the fridge. I try to keep small portions of things in the freezer to pull out when I need something. Veggie frittata works well.

Excuse my ignorance but what is gazpacho? Smile

mandksima

Post Tue, Jun 25 2013, 2:33 am
amother wrote:
mandksima wrote:

Excuse my ignorance but what is gazpacho? Smile

It is a cold tomato vegetable soup. Basically pureed cucmbers, tomatoes, peppers, onion/scallion and herbs/seasonings. All raw. Very tasty! I've used the Moosewood Cookbook recipe for years but add a few more veggies than they use.

4C cold tomato juice
1 small onion
2 C diced tomatoes (I use fresh ripe ones that I peel with a peeler and squeeze out excess seeds)
1 C pepper, diced (I use red)
5 Israeli cucumbers (Persian) or one long hothouse or 2 peeled, seeded and diced waxy
1 tsp honey (I use raw)
2 scallions, diced
1 clove fresh garlic
sea salt and pepper to taste
dash worcestershire sauce ( I use coconut aminos)
juice of 1/2 lemon and 1 lime (I use all lemon)
2 T wine vinegar
1 tsp terragon
1 tsp basil
dash cumin (I use a lot more cuz I love it)
1/4 C fresh parsley or cilantro or a mix
2 T olive oil

I like it completely blended so I can drink it from a cup but you can blend it however much you like. Serve chilled and enjoy! Lat quite a few days in the fridge. This makes around 2 quarts or more for me.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Jun 25 2013, 2:49 am
My go-to late night snack is apple slices with the nut butter of your choice. I like almond butter best, but peanut butter will do in a pinch.

Yocheved84

Post Tue, Jun 25 2013, 6:36 am
thinkermother wrote:
Yocheved84 wrote:
amother wrote:

how is it similar if the whole premise here is whole grains whereas there grains are not allowed. I followed it for awhile. Lost some weight but so hard to follow thru

Similar in the no white flour component, avoiding sugars, etc. My MIL lost 20 pounds on the diet and swears by it but my experience is like yours--it's not so sustainable.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise