Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Would you toveil it?

imasinger

Post Tue, Jun 25 2013, 10:06 pm
Today is our anniversary, and I got DH a new challah board. The box is marked "legacy judaica", but no indication of where it was made. A lot of Judaica is made in EY, and doesn't need tevila, but this could have been made anywhere, I guess. WWYD?

September June

Post Tue, Jun 25 2013, 10:11 pm
Unscrew the glass, dip it, rescrew. That's what we did. It wasn't a big deal.

Happy anniversary! You and your dh should have many more happy and healthy years together with lots of nachas from all your children!

Marion

Post Tue, Jun 25 2013, 10:34 pm
What's special about the challah board that you're asking? Wood doesn't need to be toveled.

imasinger

Post Tue, Jun 25 2013, 10:47 pm
Marion wrote:
What's special about the challah board that you're asking? Wood doesn't need to be toveled.

It's the glass and the knife.

I will probably save it to do when I have something else, so that I don't make a bracha l'vatala.

amother

Post Tue, Jun 25 2013, 11:06 pm
DS made me a little crazy: we got a new glass made as the old one broke. I wanted to toivel just the glass. He felt that the whole kli (vessel - meaning, wood & glass screwed together) would need to be toiveled.

I called a Rov & basically argued with him that it's made to come apart to clean, and water ruins the wood. I think he kind of agreed to me, perhaps a bit reluctantly, although I can't remember for sure, and I also don't remember what we did in the end. I think I toiveled the glass & told DH it's his problem if he wants to go back & toivel it again with the wood.

If anyone else asks, please let me know what you were told.

(I once bought a set of steak knives, which is pretty funny, as we never eat steak. But when I have a few things that are doubtful, I take along a knife, or buy a new one for making the bracha. I always need a new pareve knife....)

smss

Post Wed, Jun 26 2013, 9:28 am
can you contact the company and ask?

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Jun 26 2013, 10:26 am
amother wrote:

(I once bought a set of steak knives, which is pretty funny, as we never eat steak. But when I have a few things that are doubtful, I take along a knife, or buy a new one for making the bracha. I always need a new pareve knife....)

Our mikvah often has a box of cheap silverware with a sign that you should take one (to keep) and use it to make the bracha when it is questionable.

shalhevet

Post Wed, Jun 26 2013, 10:47 am
imasinger wrote:
Today is our anniversary, and I got DH a new challah board. The box is marked "legacy judaica", but no indication of where it was made. A lot of Judaica is made in EY, and doesn't need tevila, but this could have been made anywhere, I guess. WWYD?

Today a lot of the Judaica (if you aren't talking actual silver) is made in China etc. even when you buy it in Meah Shearim.

imasinger

Post Wed, Jun 26 2013, 11:14 am
OOTBubby wrote:
amother wrote:

Our mikvah often has a box of cheap silverware with a sign that you should take one (to keep) and use it to make the bracha when it is questionable.

FABULOUS idea! I'm going to talk to our mikvah about doing that!

yamz

Post Wed, Jun 26 2013, 9:23 pm
You can tovel something without making a bracha.

imasinger

Post Wed, Jun 26 2013, 10:02 pm
Depends what it is made of.

busydev

Post Wed, Jun 26 2013, 10:08 pm
I would ask my rav.

but I would think that unless you KNOW a jew owned it then you would toivel it.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Jun 27 2013, 12:33 am
Wood, no. Metal and glass, yes. Bring something else that needs toiveling, I keep a stack by my front door.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen