Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
9 days- why no laundry?

amother

Post Wed, Jul 10 2013, 7:47 am
Is it because of the work, wearing clean clothing, or both?

anon for personal reasons.

yogabird

Post Wed, Jul 10 2013, 7:49 am
AFAIK, both.

IMHopinion

Post Wed, Jul 10 2013, 7:50 am
AFAIK, not to wear clean clothes.

Tamiri

Post Wed, Jul 10 2013, 8:14 am
We are showing our aveylut. One minhag aveilut is not to change your clothing. Another one is not to bathe.

bigsis144

Post Wed, Jul 10 2013, 8:45 am
Chol HaMo'ed: don't do laundry because it's work and it's a mini Mo'ed
9 Days: don't do laundry because freshly laundered clothes make us happy and it's a time of aveilus

yogabird

Post Wed, Jul 10 2013, 8:49 am
bigsis144 wrote:
9 Days: don't do laundry because freshly laundered clothes make us happy and it's a time of aveilus

According to this logic, we would be allowed to wash the laundry during the 9 days and put it away for after.

thinkermother

Post Wed, Jul 10 2013, 9:18 am
I once saw on a box of all detergent "happiness is an empty laundry basket"

Miri1

Post Wed, Jul 10 2013, 9:51 am
yogabird wrote:
bigsis144 wrote:

According to this logic, we would be allowed to wash the laundry during the 9 days and put it away for after.

Yes, but it isn't considered appropriate to be preparing for after the aveilus. As Tisha B'Av looms, we reduce in increments our pleasure, and it would be out of line with that hanhaga.
(as I understand it)

mo5

Post Wed, Jul 10 2013, 10:30 pm
Yogabird, sorry nor quoting properly from my phone . But there is something to your logic.
It happened in a variety of years where we started camp on Yud or Yud Alef Av (and had to leave to get there earlier) where a Rav told us we could wash clothes; Motzei Tisha bav or even end of nine days- to pack for camp.

yogabird

Post Wed, Jul 10 2013, 11:44 pm
This doesn't prove anything. People get a heter to wash laundry even if they're not leaving to camp. The response above yours makes more sense to me.

I always understood that we don't do laundry or any other rigorous mundane tasks so as not to take our minds away from the aveilus. But it's possible that I'm confusing this with the laws of tisha b'av.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note