Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Are my expectations reasonable?

amother

Post Thu, Jul 11 2013, 10:00 am
I have an 1100 sq ft house. We are 4 people. My husband is meticulous and my house gets straightened every morning by him. Two loads of wash is done everyday by him. My children are big kids and pretty much keep their rooms clean.

I have a cleaning lady 3 days a week for 9 hours a day. She doesn't touch my dining room table and credenza as that contains office work during the week.

Is it reasonable to expect my home to be cleaned at the end of each day she is here? She has been with me for over a year? I do cook heavy about 2 days a week when she is here.

yo'ma

Post Thu, Jul 11 2013, 10:04 am
I don't understand why it wouldn't be clean when she leaves!! What is she doing if it's not and from what you say, it's pretty clean to begin with. Am I missing something?

amother

Post Thu, Jul 11 2013, 10:18 am
It is not straightened when she leaves. It is so frustrating. I have to go behind her and plump up pillows and close drawers and generally set things at right angles. Yesterday she left things in the bathroom and unfolded clothes on my bed. I have been leaving a headband on the bathroom counter for two weeks to see if she will move it to its place. My husband and I agreed to ask the ladies here if my expectations are too high. He thinks I should just straighten the house when she leaves which means I am tied to her schedule. I straighten in the mornings on the days she isn't here which is easier for me than straightening when my family is home.

I have spoken to her around 8 times about this. I have told my husband no one needs this much help in a small house, but if he is going to employ her than let the house be photograph ready when no one is home all day.

Please let me know if I am right.

sarahd

Post Thu, Jul 11 2013, 10:29 am
What is she doing for nine hours a day if your husband is straightening up in the morning and doing the laundry? Why is the house not straightened up when she leaves after nine hours of work, especially if the kids weren't there all day? I don't think your expectations are too high.

IMHopinion

Post Thu, Jul 11 2013, 10:32 am
My cleaning lady comes once a week for 5 hours. I work along with her. When she leaves, my house is perfect.
Something seems very off with your cleaning help.

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, Jul 11 2013, 10:37 am
1100 square feet should be spotless and completely organized after a 9 hour day, especially if it isn't much of a mess to start with. Why don't you make her a checklist? Some people just need some organizational help to cover all the bases. If she cleans well its worth trying to coach her, IMO.

amother

Post Thu, Jul 11 2013, 10:47 am
sarahd wrote:
What is she doing for nine hours a day if your husband is straightening up in the morning and doing the laundry? Why is the house not straightened up when she leaves after nine hours of work, especially if the kids weren't there all day? I don't think your expectations are too high.

Thank you. I have no idea of what she does other than laundry and cleaning. She helps me prepare food when I need it. She is helpful when I am around. She is always appears busy. I told my husband if I have to watch her, it would be easier to clean instead.

I just was just looking for some fashion earrings and it took me 10 minutes to locate a pair. She had single earrings in different spots.

I took pictures of how messy my house was left yesterday. I plan to show her tomorrow.

I pay generously and she is a really nice lady.

yo'ma

Post Thu, Jul 11 2013, 10:53 am
I really don't understand what she cleans. My cleaning lady comes 3-4 times a week for 2-4 hours and when she leaves it's clean. 5 minutes after my kids come home, that's another story Smile . Your expectations are more than reasonable. Being a nice lady, nor a helpful lady make a cleaning lady. A lady who cleans makes a cleaning lady.

lk1234

Post Thu, Jul 11 2013, 10:53 am
you have 27 hours a week of cleaning help with 4 big kids and a husband who does housework in the morning. After she leaves, your house should look like the Metropolitan Museum of Arts. Really!

I would fire her and find someone else. simple!

yo'ma

Post Thu, Jul 11 2013, 10:55 am
lk1234 wrote:
you have 27 hours a week of cleaning help with 4 big kids and a husband who does housework in the morning. After she leaves, your house should look like the Metropolitan Museum of Arts. Really!

I would fire her and find someone else. simple!

Actually op wrote, 2 big kids, 4 people Wink .

SingALong

Post Thu, Jul 11 2013, 10:56 am
When you find things in the wrong places, show her the right place it belongs. Cleaning ladies often don't know where to put stuff, even if they've been by you awhile. If she has unfinished laundry when she leaves, show her where you want it kept ie laundry basket near dryer, whatever. Continue to show her, check on her progress every 20 minutes to see if she left things lying around. Say it as nicely as possible, just kind of like "oh here ______, this brush goes in this drawer" or I like to keep this here.

Good luck

gumby

Post Thu, Jul 11 2013, 11:17 am
Your expectations are reasonable , however it seems as if you may need to retrain her. Either she has forgotten the way you would like things done or has gotten comfortable and perhaps lazy. First step reiterate that you are paying her a lot of money and you expect ab and c, like the house should be in perfect condition especially on quiet no yuntif weeks. Then I would go room to room showing her where to improve. If she does not shape up or is too overwhelmed with your demands you will know in about two weeks and you will need new help.

imasinger

Post Thu, Jul 11 2013, 11:24 am
Beautifully put, gumby!

Sometimes, people don't want cleaning help to touch small things left lying around on counters or other furniture, or open dressers to put away clothing. Make sure she understands your expectations. If you want, you can designate a few small baskets for keeping items she finds while cleaning and doesn't know where they go.

I don't get the unstraightened pillows or drawers/doors left awry.

I have cleaning help one day a week for 8 hours, and the place is pristine when finished.

lk1234

Post Thu, Jul 11 2013, 11:35 am
I think that some cleaning ladies have a better "sense" of organization and seder than others. It sounds like op's lady doesn't have that sense. It would be annoying to me to have to walk the lady room by room and teach her where every last thing goes.

Why not just find one that has that "chush" inherently. Especially if she is paying well and is being hired for so many hours.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics