Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Does makeup fall under the prohibition of seecha on 9 Av?

BusyBeeMommy

Post Mon, Jul 15 2013, 5:31 pm
I'm working tomorrow. Am I allowed to apply any makeup at all?

pesek zman

Post Mon, Jul 15 2013, 6:00 pm
No makeup! And that's the primary reason that I'm NOT going to work tomorrow Wink

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Jul 15 2013, 6:01 pm
Oooh, good question! I know you can't use liquids or creams like foundation or lipstick/gloss, because of "anointing". I don't know if that applies to loose powder mineral makeup or not.

For me, not wearing lip gloss is actually worse than fasting. My lips get so cracked and dry that they can bleed, and when I get bored or nervous I tend to chew on them. I'm putting on an extra thick layer of Chapstick before the fast! (It's not like I'll be eating it off, LOL)

amother
Cerise

Post Mon, Jul 15 2013, 6:08 pm
Normally the answer is no but speak to your Rav if you have special circumstances.

Last edited by amother on Fri, Mar 18 2016, 1:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Cerise

Post Mon, Jul 15 2013, 6:19 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
Oooh, good question! I know you can't use liquids or creams like foundation or lipstick/gloss, because of "anointing". I don't know if that applies to loose powder mineral makeup or not.

For me, not wearing lip gloss is actually worse than fasting. My lips get so cracked and dry that they can bleed, and when I get bored or nervous I tend to chew on them. I'm putting on an extra thick layer of Chapstick before the fast! (It's not like I'll be eating it off, LOL)
I learned that you can not apply any kind of makeup because of pleasure. But you can apply things if its done for medical reasons or to maintain personal hygiene, thats why you can use deodorant.

If your lips bleed I would think you could use unflavored chapstick. This sounds more medical then pleasurable. Speak to your Rav.

Last edited by amother on Fri, Mar 18 2016, 1:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

BusyBeeMommy

Post Mon, Jul 15 2013, 6:28 pm
Thanks. I can suck it up for one day and not wear makeup.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Jul 15 2013, 6:32 pm
BusyBeeMommy wrote:
Thanks. I can suck it up for one day and not wear makeup.

Just slap your face and pinch your lips every hour or so. Wink

BusyBeeMommy

Post Mon, Jul 15 2013, 7:26 pm
Haha! Thanks frummie. It's actually my eyes I'm more concerned about since I'm blond and will look washed out without liner and mascara. I have pink undertones so the lips and cheeks are not as much of a problem. But it's only one day and I can handle it Smile

Ruchel

Post Tue, Jul 16 2013, 8:27 am
I have always heard no deo but yes to stuff for cracked lips
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note