Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club
Book royalties?

fromthedepths

Post Wed, Jul 17 2013, 1:44 am
What's the going rate (percentage) for book royalties for a Jewish publisher? Anything else I should know before signing a contract? TIA.

oliveoil

Post Wed, Jul 17 2013, 10:17 am
I think 7%

fromthedepths

Post Wed, Jul 17 2013, 10:17 am
Thanks!

oliveoil

Post Wed, Jul 17 2013, 10:22 am
If you're putting up the money it's usually closer to 14%.

If they're taking care of everything, they might offer you the standard 7% or an option of a higher percentage after they've covered their costs. In my experience, it's better to go with the lower royalty starting immediately, or else you can end up with nothing at all.

fromthedepths

Post Wed, Jul 17 2013, 12:45 pm
Thanks! I am not putting up any money, and I was offered 10%, to be paid after they cover the costs. So I guess it's a good deal, right?

vintagebknyc

Post Wed, Jul 17 2013, 12:46 pm
please don't sign anything without showing it to an attorney!

fromthedepths

Post Wed, Jul 17 2013, 1:07 pm
What kind of attorneys deal with book contracts? Thanks!

oliveoil

Post Wed, Jul 17 2013, 2:17 pm
fromthedepths wrote:
Thanks! I am not putting up any money, and I was offered 10%, to be paid after they cover the costs. So I guess it's a good deal, right?

I don't think so.

My book was published 5 years ago. I was given a few options and I chose the 30% after costs, because I thought it was a better option. I still haven't seen a cent.

I think you should find out a) how many copies they're printing and b) what they'll be doing to advertise it. Ask them to explain to you how much of each sale goes towards covering those costs and see if it will work out for you.

I learned my lesson and I've done things very differently since then.

fromthedepths

Post Wed, Jul 17 2013, 2:36 pm
Wow, not a cent after 5 years? So how do you do things now?

smilingmom

Post Wed, Jul 17 2013, 5:47 pm
I was advised that unless I wanted to hire an accountant to examine their books, I should take a percentage of the gross sales. I had a mainstream publisher and received 8% of the gross sales, part of which was given as an advance.
I did not make much money, but at least the financial records were clear.

shosh

Post Wed, Jul 17 2013, 5:53 pm
From the little I know, writing a book is not a lucrative proposition these days unless you end up writing a blockbusting world famous bestseller - and even then the pickings can be quite slim.

fromthedepths

Post Wed, Jul 17 2013, 6:43 pm
So here's what the contract actually says:

Quote:
c. ​The Publisher will pay the Author, or whomsoever he formally designates as the recipient, a Royalty in US$ equal to 10% of the list price for each book sold worldwide.

d. ​Royalty payments will only be made once net sales exceed 1500 copies. If 1500 copies are sold, Royalties will be paid retroactively upon them. The publisher will not be obliged to pay any Royalties, should net sales not equal or exceed production costs which is defined as equal to 1500 copies. .

Sounds like I'll be paid royalties from the list price, not sale price. So if the books go on sale I'll still get 10% of the original price.

Am I understanding this correctly?

They said they'll publish 2000 copies and go from there.

Thank you! I really appreciate all the help. I'd rather not spend money on a lawyer, given that I won't even earn that much.

sara_s

Post Wed, Jul 17 2013, 8:15 pm
Have it in the contract the minimum amount they'll publish and distribute, don't trust what they say to you verbally! I know cases where publishers distributed less than they promised beforehand. And personally I would try and take off that defraying costs clause.
I heard a while ago that selling 3000 books in the Frum world is considered good...

fromthedepths

Post Wed, Jul 17 2013, 8:43 pm
I'm OK with the defraying cost clause. They explained to me why they want it there. But I want to make sure I'm understanding this correctly. Thank you for your help!

sara_s

Post Thu, Jul 18 2013, 5:18 am
If possible try and specify in the contract their minimum advertising also

oliveoil

Post Thu, Jul 18 2013, 2:09 pm
sara_s wrote:
If possible try and specify in the contract their minimum advertising also

Yes, and also find out if advertising is included in their covering their costs. It often is.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club