Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Whoopi sale - charged me tax?

amother

Post Tue, Jul 30 2013, 11:21 pm
I bought several items that were priced over $110 regular price. The sale price however was about $60 but I was charged tax. I went back to the store and argued with the sales person that you don't pay tax on what the original price was you pay tax only if the sale price is over $110. Was I right or was the store right?

Cookies n Cream

Post Tue, Jul 30 2013, 11:29 pm
You are right'
Tax is on the amount spent.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jul 30 2013, 11:30 pm
They are definitely wrong.

Print this for them.

http://www.tax.ny.gov/bus/st/s.....n.htm

Last edited by ra_mom on Tue, Sep 18 2018, 3:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother

Post Tue, Jul 30 2013, 11:36 pm
She ended up giving me back the money. But while she handed it to me she told me she really doesn't have to because you pay tax on what the original price was. OK, thanks everybody. I just wanted to make sure I was correct.
Anybody, who went to the Whoopi sale in Boro Park check your receipts because if she charged me tax she must have made the same mistake with everybody.

IMHopinion

Post Tue, Jul 30 2013, 11:58 pm
Or is this how they make extra money? Maybe it isn't a mistake after all?

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Jul 31 2013, 12:35 am
IMHopinion wrote:
Or is this how they make extra money? Maybe it isn't a mistake after all?

If it's intentional, it's stealing - plain and simple. Mad

amother

Post Wed, Jul 31 2013, 12:41 am
Some stores feel that if they are doing you the favor and lowering their price so much for the sale the least you can do is pay the tax so they can recoup some of their losses somewhere.

Not a very nice thing to do, and probably illegal, but it's done. They just hope the customer doesn't notice or say anything.

amother

Post Wed, Jul 31 2013, 1:21 am
People do this on ebay all the time. They can charge tax if the buyer is in the same state as seller but most of the time seller doesnt report it on his taxes...

el2cg

Post Wed, Jul 31 2013, 11:11 pm
I don't shop in whoppi, but I have met the owners recently, and they are the nicest people! I honestly think that they are unaware of it. Ask to speak to the owner and I'm sure they'll correct it.

amother

Post Wed, Jul 31 2013, 11:24 pm
amother wrote:
People do this on ebay all the time. They can charge tax if the buyer is in the same state as seller but most of the time seller doesnt report it on his taxes...

which is illegal

amother

Post Wed, Jul 31 2013, 11:59 pm
el2cg wrote:
I don't shop in whoppi, but I have met the owners recently, and they are the nicest people! I honestly think that they are unaware of it. Ask to speak to the owner and I'm sure they'll correct it.

OP here, just to make it clear, I never for a minute thought that this was done on purpose CH"V. (All the anonymous posts are not me, only 3 of them including this one.)

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Aug 01 2013, 12:21 am
amother wrote:
amother wrote:

which is illegal

Just to be clear, charging sales tax for online purchases is not illegal, the not reporting is illegal.

Getting audited is really not worth a few extra dollars, IMHO.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics