Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Child & Baby Products
Medela manual vs electric (single and double)

AhavatYisrael

Post Tue, Jul 30 2013, 8:25 am
With my last baby I used the manual medela which I LOVED but after a few months I found that the pumping was taking too long (especially because I only have time to pump at night before bed, when all I want to do is sleep). Because of that, I was thinking of getting an electric pump this time around. I recently heard that with the amount of time it takes to clean and set up the electric pump, the whole process would take me just as long as if I used the manual to pump.

Is that true? If so, then I obviously don't want to spend the extra money on a new pump. How much quicker is the single electric than the manual? I know that the exact answer will depend on how much milk each woman has but I'm looking for a general idea.

My second question is what are your thoughts on the medela single electric vs the double electric? Is the double electric really worth the money?

SingALong

Post Tue, Jul 30 2013, 8:44 am
Double electric definitely took me 1/2 the time of my manual. (Don't know about single electric). I set up my parts already connected in the bag before work so when I got to work I just plugged in and setup was quick.
I think it's worth the money if you need it daily, like for work. if your just pumping 1-2x a week or on occasion I'd go with something cheaper.
Sometimes insurance will cover your pump, ask to see if you're eligible. There are certain suppliers who take insurance as payment and will find out for you if you can get a pump through insurance.

busydev

Post Tue, Jul 30 2013, 9:12 am
you heard wrong. (well maybe it will take longer the first couple times)

it used to take me less then 20 minutes from when I got up from my desk until I returned to it. that included walking 2 minutes to the bathroom (each way). I also used a pumping bustier to make things hand free and faster.

I did it twice a day at work for half a year and then went to once a day for the second half of the year (then I pumped right before going to work and fed the baby right after work)

an electric does not compare to a manual.

gesher

Post Tue, Jul 30 2013, 5:26 pm
I'd definitely recommend the double electric pump. It pumps waay faster!

Some insurances do pay for it - but if your insurance does not pay for it, I have a brand new freestyle double electric pump to sell - if you're interested.

AhavatYisrael

Post Thu, Aug 01 2013, 6:06 pm
Thanks for the replies ladies!

How long do the single and double electric take to clean and set up?

How much faster is the double electric than the single electric?

busydev

Post Fri, Aug 02 2013, 9:36 am
Well a double takes half as long as a single since you are doing both sides at once. so if you pump 15 minutes a side it will take you 30 minutes with a single and 15 min with a double.

set up is really pretty simple. if it takes you more then a minute with a double then you are doing something wrong. a single is even faster (tho its not even half the work).

Set Up
1. plug in the pump (unless using batteries)
2. you attach the pieces together- they all snap in no problem (theres the part that goes on the breast to the part that the pump and bottle attach to and the little white plastic piece that creates suction or something).
3. you screw it onto the bottle.
4. take a hose and plug it into the hole on the piece that attaches to the bottle and put the other end into the hole in the pump.
5. turn on the pump.

it shouldnt take 30 seconds for one side. seriously. maybe the first time it will take slightly longer... but slightly.

cleaning
1. Turn off the pump.
2. detach the bottles and cover.
3. disconnect the hoses and put away (no reason to clean out unless somehow milk got in... which never happened to me in a year of using it).
4. separate the pieces and wash out thoroughly. dry (takes maybe a minute)
5. put all the pieces away

your done.

I sterilized them every couple days (used them 2 times a day on average)

this was for the medela double pump in style.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics