Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Suspicious looking email from client

amother

Post Mon, Aug 05 2013, 9:50 am
I checked my email last night and noticed I received an email from a client that I wasn't working with for over a year. The email was received on Shabbos afternoon about 5 pm (first red flag) and doesn't contain much except a link with instructions to sign in with my email address to view the file. The whole format doesn't look like the previous emails I have received from this client. (another red flag)

Of course, I haven't clicked on the link yet before verifying if this email is ok. I was thinking of emailing this client , not as a reply but in a new email, but am stumped on what wording to use. Any suggestions?

myself

Post Mon, Aug 05 2013, 9:52 am
Their email address was hacked. Don't open the link, delete the email.

Simple1

Post Mon, Aug 05 2013, 9:54 am
Maybe his email was hacked? I've gotten weird emails from people who've had their accounts hacked. Be careful because if you open the link you can get a virus.

Last edited by Simple1 on Mon, Aug 05 2013, 9:55 am; edited 1 time in total

cbsmommy

Post Mon, Aug 05 2013, 9:55 am
Dear xyz,
I received an email from your account over the weekend that is not consistent with emails that we've had in the past. Unlike our past conversations, this email has a link with instructions to sign in with my email address.
Before I opened it I wanted to double check with you that you intentionally sent me an email.
I apologize for being suspicious, but I have to be careful about spam, hacked email addresses, and viruses.
I look forward to hearing from you!

Sincerely,
Amother

Rubber Ducky

Post Mon, Aug 05 2013, 9:56 am
Unfortunately, I get a lot of these. Just delete the email. As a courtesy you can email the client to let her know that her email has been hacked.

amother

Post Mon, Aug 05 2013, 10:09 am
Thanks CBSmommy.

I know I shouldn't be opening the link but I also wanted to let the client know in a professional manner my suspicions.

imasoftov

Post Mon, Aug 05 2013, 1:06 pm
No, do not respond to by email. If their email was hacked, the hacker may be the person who responds to tell you that it's OK to visit the link. And don't ask them a question to prove that you are talking to the real owner of the account, because the hacker may be able to answer it, having read their mail.

Contact them offline.

Dolly Welsh

Post Mon, Aug 05 2013, 1:13 pm
They were hacked.

Delete it immediately and don't worry.

The client will probably get a new email account very soon, and send out a mass email to everybody that he was hacked, and that this is his new email.

You don't have to do anything.

causemommysaid

Post Mon, Aug 05 2013, 1:13 pm
definitely a hack.

call the client and let them know
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics