Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Gift for parents- entire summer in their bungalow

amother

Post Thu, Aug 15 2013, 10:55 am
I'm sure I'm not the only one who needs help in this aspect being how common it is that parents have their married children by them for all, most or even some of the summer, in the country.
so... any ideas? taking them out or sending them away wouldn't do it since they just went away for a few days and they go out to eat themselves.
any ideas would be appreciated! thanks!

mandr

Post Thu, Aug 15 2013, 11:49 am
the best gift is to leave Smile

lkwdmommy

Post Thu, Aug 15 2013, 11:51 am
mandr wrote:
the best gift is to leave Smile

I was going to write the same thing, but was afraid of being too nasty.

I would add: maybe stay home for Yom Tov Smile

amother

Post Thu, Aug 15 2013, 11:54 am
OP here. I appreciate a good sense of humor and I was the one who "liked" your reply.
Since the summer's almost over we are leaving. and no, we are not going to see them over YT as we don't live in the states.
so... any practical ideas? other than the ones already listed? thanks!

mandr

Post Thu, Aug 15 2013, 11:55 am
I added a smiley to soften the blow.

I got married recently so I was recently living in my parents' house. We always had a bunch of guest (mostly family members) during the summer Shabbosim and it very often became too much to handle, for my parents and for us unmarried siblings. When they would all leave (Sunday morning) my mother would holler, "WE GOT THE HOUSE BACK!!!!" to which we'd all clap and cheer.

mandr

Post Thu, Aug 15 2013, 11:57 am
Practical gift? Is there anything in the house that could use replacement? Like a broken toaster, blow-drier, missing cutlery, etc. that you might want to buy for them? Or pay for a cleaning lady to spend the last day there to help pack everything up and wash everything down.

amother

Post Thu, Aug 15 2013, 11:59 am
Framed pictures of the family and/or grandkids

mominlkwd

Post Thu, Aug 15 2013, 12:05 pm
I once got my parents a phone with caller ID and answering machine because theirs needed replacing but they were to cheap.
Someone I know replaced her parent's dishes as a gift since they didn't have a full set anymore. I think parent's gifts are more realistic - what they need as opposed to a nice vase.

mandr

Post Thu, Aug 15 2013, 12:09 pm
mominlkwd wrote:
I once got my parents a phone with caller ID and answering machine because theirs needed replacing but they were to cheap.
Someone I know replaced her parent's dishes as a gift since they didn't have a full set anymore. I think parent's gifts are more realistic - what they need as opposed to a nice vase.

My sister once replaced our Milchig cutlery with a new set because she said there weren't enough spoons left from our old set Wink (my father leaves them in his coffee cup which can end up in any part of the house). It was a great gift and it's still being used like 7 years later.

amother

Post Thu, Aug 15 2013, 12:35 pm
A beautiful card expressing your appreciation & love-with flowers or a newly published tehilim

amother

Post Thu, Aug 15 2013, 12:37 pm
Make them a personalized photo album of/from the summer

MMCH

Post Thu, Aug 15 2013, 4:44 pm
I second the photo book.

or higher a photographer to take nice pics of the whole family.

a1mom

Post Thu, Aug 15 2013, 5:46 pm
photo books are always appreciated, my parents especially enjoy the ones that my husband made into a story line.... also maybe your mom would like a new set of linen for the city or the country?

oliveoil

Post Thu, Aug 15 2013, 10:01 pm
Take care of one thing in the house that needs doing - recarpeting, wooden floors, paintjob, grout and tiles, etc.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics