Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Bring my baby to work?

thePrimaIma

Post Tue, Aug 13 2013, 12:42 pm
Hi everyone! I am right now a SAHM. My husbands boss offered that I come do some bookkeeping for him a few hours a week and that I can bring my 10 month old baby along.

I have experience with bookkeeping, but I am not sure if I can concentrate on my work with a baby there.
I do not want to leave him with a sitter. Hence, that is why I am a SAHM in the first place.

Any moms out there who have experience working while watching their LOs? Any advice on how to go about this? tips? ANYTHING? lol

Thank you Smile

seeker

Post Tue, Aug 13 2013, 2:39 pm
I could see doing it with a tiny baby - I actually at one point had a babysitting gap and needed to bring my 3-month-old to work for about an hour, she sat in her infant seat and played with hanging toys or slept. But I have a 10 month old on me right now and haven't gotten a single productive thing done all summer. No idea how you would be able to bring someone like this to work. She needs to get around and play and crawl everywhere and demands attention and... nevermind.

Mrs Bissli

Post Wed, Aug 21 2013, 4:37 pm
I can't generalise as it woud greatly depending on the baby's personality. I've brought babies once in a while but not constantly, mainly because I personally felt it does not reflect well on my professionalism. If you decide to bring your child, I would make sure you do have an enclosed office (as opposed to cubicle or open space office) so the baby does not disturb others.

amother

Post Wed, Aug 21 2013, 6:17 pm
I bring my now 1 year old to work. It is NOT easy.
The only difference with me is that my husband works downstairs so I can always ask him to watch my son when I need a break. In addition, I get paid a set salary for my job, which is very little. Somedays ill be in the office for 2 hours, and somedayds I'm working 6 hours...being that I run a camp, I had a babysitter for the 6 weeks before camp and during camp. I will iyh have someone watch my baby in the office building once the school year starts.
It depends on your job type. My office is ok with my baby being there, and the people that work there are all fellow shluchim. I also close my door everytime my baby cries (to go to sleep).
I would encourage you to get a sitter. Even for two hours. I'm very work focused and its still hard to be constantly interrupted.

the world's best mom

Post Wed, Aug 21 2013, 7:01 pm
I think it all depends on the boss's attitude towards the baby.

I bring my 1 year old to work with me. I spend around half my time there taking care of the baby, and the other half working. It works for me because my boss loves my baby and is very proud of how hard he's working when he empties shelves or garbage cans. If those normal baby behaviors wouldn't be tolerated in your office, it won't work.

chocolate chips

Post Wed, Aug 21 2013, 7:57 pm
Can hecrawl? Is he happy to sit for a few hours in his stroller with toys?
It depends on the personality of the kid.

If you can time the work to go in for 3-4 hours a day 2 of which he is sleeping, this might be a good idea. When he is up give him a snack, drink, book and toy and once he gets bored and kvetchy leave for the day.

amother

Post Wed, Aug 21 2013, 8:20 pm
I find that it is only feasible until baby is 5 months old, and then it can work again once the child is 3.5 years old.
From my experience the ages in between are just too difficult.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics