Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Wedding gift, money

amother

Post Mon, Aug 26 2013, 12:02 pm
What's a normal amount of money to give as a couple attending a wedding? Lubavitch wedding. Friends with the parents, but dont really know the new couple well. I dont want to be "cheap" but I'm not rolling in money that I can afford to be extremely generous. Maybe someone who recently got married can tell me what's the average.

chocolate chips

Post Mon, Aug 26 2013, 12:28 pm
I am not lubavitch but when I got married we got checks ranging from $25 to $500. It depends who from.
Since you said you don't really know the couple but you want to give something nice I would probably go with about $50, $75 if I had extra money in my bank that day. Not more.

amother

Post Tue, Aug 27 2013, 10:45 am
We got many gifts of $150-250 from good friends of my parents. From not such good friends $75-100 is a nice amount.

notshanarishona

Post Tue, Aug 27 2013, 10:58 am
From wedding presents that I got:
$18 was considered cheap
Then amount ranged from $36 + ...

I would say if you are your husband are going to the wedding somewhere in the range of $36-50 is nice.

amother

Post Tue, Aug 27 2013, 11:17 am
amother wrote:
We got many gifts of $150-250 from good friends of my parents. From not such good friends $75-100 is a nice amount.
I am this amother.
I wanted to add that these generous gifts came from people who are married many years (my parents age.) While I wouldn't call most of these couples wealthy, they are all B"H living comfortably.
From a young couple (married under 5 years) I think $50 is nice.
we got married in NY

amother

Post Tue, Aug 27 2013, 12:43 pm
OP here.
We are married more then 5 years. Almost 12. We r basically friends from shul. Do u think $75 is ok?

cs1

Post Tue, Aug 27 2013, 1:01 pm
$75 is too much for someone you dont well, especially that u guys arent married too long.
$36-$50 is very nice.
unless you are going to an out of town snazzy wedding, or they are extremely wealthy...Otherwise, if its a typical lubavitch wedding, $36 is just fine and $50 is considered very very nice (especially if u dont know them too well)

amother

Post Tue, Aug 27 2013, 7:21 pm
You sound more like acquaintances than good friends. I think $50-75 is great.

b from nj

Post Tue, Aug 27 2013, 9:53 pm
I think that if you are planning on giving under $100, maybe you'd be better off buying a nice gift. Personally, $36-$50 for a couple is a bit cheap for a wedding gift but then again, I have been married many more years than you & it might be a different ballgame for me at this stage of life.

Maybe you can see if they are registered on bed, bath, & beyond & you can get a gift from there especially if you have any of their 20% off coupons which never expire.

Only Simchas!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics