Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Need Section 8 Info (Monsey)

amother

Post Tue, Aug 27 2013, 4:21 pm
Ok, it has come to this point. I hate the thought that I have to even consider Section 8 but my husband has been looking for work now for over a year and still doesn't have a job, he has never stopped looking. I am trying to look for work as well but my hours are limited with my kids schedule. We are not making an income currently and living at relatives but we can't live here much longer. We need to look into Section 8 until we can afford our own apartment. I have no idea where to start or where to even look. I am embarrassed and ashamed that it has come to this, I hate not being independent and having to depend on handouts and govt assistance but I have no choice. We are totally not chasidish, not interested in living in a chasidish area, will they allow us to live on Section 8 in a more modern area of Monsey? Where do I go to apply for this? How long does it take? How does the program work? Where do I start and what I do? Please tell me everything I should know about Section 8 in Monsey for families who are not making any income whatsoever. Also, if we were to get on Section 8 and move somewhere and then my husband found a job, what would happen, we would just start paying rent on our own then right? (I want to be able to pay my own rent, that's the goal, I am not the type who is interested in living off the government for the rest of my life). Thanks in advance.

watergirl

Post Tue, Aug 27 2013, 5:18 pm
I don't know about Monsey but I *think* you don't have to be chassidish to get help from the government. Meaning, do they put everyone who needs help in that area? Of course not. You don't see Mexicans, non jews, non frum people, etc living with the chassidim.

TwinsMommy

Post Tue, Aug 27 2013, 6:08 pm
I know one person on imamother on it. She said she applied in 1994 and her number came up in 2007. So if they are still doing it at all I'm guessing you and your husband will be out of your financial hole long before it's available to you. So that's probably not an option but if you need medicaid or food stamps temporarily while looking for work that seems to be given out much more freely. Oh, and unemployment too--- your husband was previously employed by a company that paid into it?

Good luck on the job hunt!

amother

Post Tue, Aug 27 2013, 6:50 pm
I work in real estate management and when I call the New York City housing authority it said they stopped taking applications in 2010 or something like that. Their number is 718-707-7771.

Lady Bug

Post Tue, Aug 27 2013, 8:07 pm
They are no longer accepting applications for Section 8 in NYC and I don't think in Rockland County either. You would need to apply in a different county that is still accepting applications and go live there if accepted for Section 8. Maybe Welfare is a better option for you?

amother

Post Wed, Aug 28 2013, 1:08 pm
watergirl wrote:
I don't know about Monsey but I *think* you don't have to be chassidish to get help from the government. Meaning, do they put everyone who needs help in that area? Of course not. You don't see Mexicans, non jews, non frum people, etc living with the chassidim.

OP here- yes I know I don't have to be chasidish to get government help. What I meant was that I don't want to live with chasidim in their designated Section 8 areas in Monsey.

Thanks for everyone's help, I guess it doesn't really seem like an option then, but I'll look into it anyways.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics