Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Disposable plates/utensils
Previous  1  2

For how many meals per week do you use disposable plates and utensils?
Almost never  
 42%  [ 46 ]
1-3 times per week  
 14%  [ 16 ]
4-6 times per week  
 12%  [ 14 ]
7 or more times per week  
 30%  [ 33 ]
Total Votes : 109

Mrs Bissli

Post Thu, Aug 29 2013, 4:21 pm
Above amother,

if you look on the back of plastic items (or sometimes on packaging), there should be a triangle mark with a number on it. This is a universal coding for types of plastics.

The reason I asked the second questions is, because local councils here try to limit the amount of household waste. Basically each household is entitled to one bin for each types of rubbish (I guess there're exceptions, you can apply to the council if you have a very large family). And they refuse to collect your rubbish if you cheat and try to put plastics in say, biodegradable bin or newspaper/magazine bin. (You can theoretically put plastics in regular household bin, but remember you get only one bin that's collected only once in two weeks). So, let's say, if you use loads of plastic disposables and fill your bin, there's no way to dispose of them. Would you still use disposables (obviously hypothetical question)?

Maybe a bit like asking if people would use plastic shopping bags at supermarkets if stores charge a small amount for each bags. The purpose of the exercise is how to modify people's behaviour to be more ecologically conscious.

Marion

Post Fri, Aug 30 2013, 1:37 am
Only once I'm ready to kasher my sinks for Pesach. So the last 36 hours or so before the chag?

Lady Godiva

Post Fri, Aug 30 2013, 2:09 am
I don't use disposable dishes and flatware (do they merit those names?), but I always have them at home. We use them when the kids have friends over for dinner and when I have a lot of guests on Shabbat or holidays I use them for the kids if I run out of dishes. My kids sometimes drink from plastic cups, but I don't use them.

I really don't like my food on plastic when I'm home, but I don't mind eating on plastic at other people's homes. I understand that some people don't have dishwashers, enough dishes, the ability to wash dishes, or they simply don't feel like using real dishes. It's their choice to make.

grace413

Post Fri, Aug 30 2013, 3:05 am
Paper plates/bowls but regular utensils for milchig. For fleishig I have a dishwasher.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Aug 30 2013, 10:10 am
Yes, and I know it's not too environmentally friendly but we live frugally, buy used stuff, etc. so that's not the major factor in my using them. It's appropriateness and $$ and energy level.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics