Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Help with idea for first day activity, high school

mochacoffee

Post Wed, Aug 28 2013, 4:12 pm
So I'm teaching high school computers and I need a cute idea for the first day. I only have one day before yomim tovim so I don't want to really start teaching the material yet. They're 12th graders so nothing too babyish but does anyone have any cute suggestions what I can do?

Thanks.

Last edited by mochacoffee on Thu, Aug 29 2013, 12:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

agreer

Post Wed, Aug 28 2013, 7:31 pm
Sorry....why do you need something "cute"? This is school, not camp.

Go over your rules, expectations, and start teaching. Show them you mean business.

amother

Post Wed, Aug 28 2013, 10:06 pm
lovemytwins wrote:
So I'm teaching high school computers and I need a cute idea for the first day. I only have one day before yomim tovim so I don't want to really start teaching the material yet. Their 12th graders so nothing too babyish but does anyone have any cute suggestions what I can do?

Thanks.

Thank goodness you don't teach Writing!

Go around the room and have them introduce themselves and state one thing about themselves they would like you to know.

Volunteer

Post Wed, Aug 28 2013, 11:02 pm
I taught middle school. On the 1st day, the first thing I did was teach the class my procedure for getting the class's attention when they're doing group work. We practiced a few times, until they got it just right. I had already arranged a seating chart for them. I had them line up in the order of their seats, then we went to the classroom, and sat down. At each seat, I had a welcome letter addressed with each student's name. The letter welcomed each student and gave a brief description of what they'll be learning in the class. The students were to read the letter, and at the end, the letter asked for a reply (written on the back). The question was something like, "What do you think you'll enjoy most about this class?" or "How do you expect this year to be different from last year?" or "What is one activity you would love to get to do this year?" I also ask them to write in any concerns or issues that they might like to discuss with me. The letters are all private, and I respond to each one. There are always surprises the first day, so I can respond to those while the students are reading/writing. Then, I start with the expectations for the class, class procedures/rules, supply lists, etc.

Isramom8

Post Thu, Aug 29 2013, 2:41 am
Nowadays they probably know a lot about computers. Maybe ask them what problems they have found with their computer use, and if they found solutions. Kids will probably chime in with suggestions for solutions.

Or you can discuss interesting facts about how computers have evolved to what they are today, and where they are logically going in the future. I'm reading a book about that now.

willow

Post Thu, Aug 29 2013, 11:02 am
Have them write a letter to themselves that they will get back at the end of the year. Don't read it just hand out envelopes and let them seal it. At the end of the year my fifth graders got it back and many wanted to share. It was fascinating.

Barbara

Post Thu, Aug 29 2013, 11:10 am
lovemytwins wrote:
So I'm teaching high school computers and I need a cute idea for the first day. I only have one day before yomim tovim so I don't want to really start teaching the material yet. Their 12th graders so nothing too babyish but does anyone have any cute suggestions what I can do?

Thanks.

What do you teach in "high school computers?" I assume that its a basic programming course. So have them think about the steps they would take to instruct a computer on how to play tic tac toe. Then, as the course goes on, they'll translate that into a program.

Otherwise, just talk about what they'll be learning in the course, and what your expectations are from them. Allow them to list their expectations of you. Eg, "Teacher will grade and return all papers within a week."

Whatever you do, avoid "cute." High school seniors are 17 and 18 years old. "Cute" will make them think that you think of them as young children, and they will lose respect for you.

mochacoffee

Post Thu, Aug 29 2013, 12:06 pm
amother wrote:
lovemytwins wrote:

Thanks.

Thank goodness you don't teach Writing!

Go around the room and have them introduce themselves and state one thing about themselves they would like you to know.

do you point out everyone's typo's?

morah

Post Thu, Aug 29 2013, 2:16 pm
Go over the rules/expectations, and syllabus. That should take up most of class. Then, prepare a mini lesson- a quick "vort" on the subject. That way, you can get into the class without actually jumping into a unit that's going to get interrupted. In general, it's a good idea to have a few such mini-lessons in your back pocket, because every now and then, you're going to find yourself in a situation where you have a day that needs to be filled but it would not be good to start a new unit. These days are actually quite fun for the class- they learn something interesting about the subject, maybe even "lishma", and it is very refreshing, especially between units.

theoneandonly

Post Thu, Aug 29 2013, 2:30 pm
willow wrote:
Have them write a letter to themselves that they will get back at the end of the year. Don't read it just hand out envelopes and let them seal it. At the end of the year my fifth graders got it back and many wanted to share. It was fascinating.

For 5th graders, that's cute. For 12th graders? Not so much.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Aug 29 2013, 2:32 pm
I may be old school Euro here but you don't need cute, it's SCHOOL. And 12 graders will mock cute.

willow

Post Fri, Aug 30 2013, 7:35 am
theoneandonly wrote:
willow wrote:

For 5th graders, that's cute. For 12th graders? Not so much.
true Very Happy

myfriends715

Post Fri, Aug 30 2013, 10:40 am
I teach hs. The first day we do rules and I also give out a questioneer where they can choose how much they want to share w me..

mochacoffee

Post Fri, Aug 30 2013, 12:17 pm
Rules and expectations I am for sure going to review on the first day, I just wanted to lighten the course a little bit because its a computer college course and its one session before all yomim tovim.

I like that questionnaire idea, what do you ask?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics