Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Checking broccoli and cauliflower

mommydiaries

Post Sun, Sep 01 2013, 11:34 am
I have checked my own romaine lettuce for some time and have found some bugs here and there.
I just started checking my broccoli and cauliflower but I haven't found anything. ( I use the star K method for checking.)

To someone who checks their own broccoli and cauliflower... Do you ever find things? Should I be worried that I'm not checking properly?

Ruchel

Post Sun, Sep 01 2013, 11:56 am
It is possible not to find, my husband says (kashrus training at kollel).

MaBelleVie

Post Sun, Sep 01 2013, 2:46 pm
Did you look at pictures to know what you should be looking for? IME, it's either all clean or pretty much infested.

freidasima

Post Sun, Sep 01 2013, 2:49 pm
yep what she said

mommydiaries

Post Sun, Sep 01 2013, 2:57 pm
Yes looked at pictures, but didnt find anything.

cbsmommy

Post Sun, Sep 01 2013, 4:27 pm
MaBelleVie wrote:
Did you look at pictures to know what you should be looking for? IME, it's either all clean or pretty much infested.

This. If I find bugs checking cauliflower, it's usually not one - it's more like 5-25.

For strawberries and romaine I've sometimes just found one or two, but not for cauliflower.

Mrs Bissli

Post Sun, Sep 01 2013, 4:40 pm
I check both fresh broccoli and cauliflower fairly frequently, but I recall the last time I've seen any bug was probably a year ago or so, just one worm in a broccoli which was pretty easy to spot. Maybe it depends on where you live and how vegetables are grown/distributed/sold? Ours come individually shrink-wrapped for each head.

mommydiaries

Post Sun, Sep 01 2013, 5:33 pm
Mrs bissli yes ours also comes shrink wrapped. I don't live in E"Y. I have heard it is harder to check there. Ok so that's good! I was nervous because I often find in lettuce...I thought I was missing them!

Peanut2

Post Sun, Sep 01 2013, 6:21 pm
I also find that they are generally fine. When I've found bugs the whole thing was infested. That's also my general experience with lettuce too. Only occasionally do I find only one or two bugs. Usually it's fine or totally infested.

amother

Post Sun, Sep 01 2013, 7:56 pm
I didn't realize we were allowed to check broccoli and cauliflower ourselves. if this is true, thats great news cuz the frozen is a fortune. can anyone provide a link to the proper way of checking?

cbsmommy

Post Sun, Sep 01 2013, 8:43 pm
http://star-k.org/cons-vegdetail.php?ID=17

Fresh

Individual Check - Low Volume (less than a case)

Preparation (Optional)

We recommend breaking floreted vegetables into smaller florets and agitating in water prior to checking, preferably with mild soap or special veggie wash (such as Tsunami 100).

Note: When using soap, use only a food grade cleanser that meets all federal, state, and local regulations. The water should have enough soap to make it feel slippery. Wash thoroughly with clean water before checking to remove any soap residue.

Check

Agitate florets in a white bowl of clean water.
Examine the water to see that it is insect-free.

Note: It may be helpful to place the white bowl on a light source, such as a light box, to make it easier to detect any insects and distinguish them from bits of debris or detached florets.
If insects are found, you may re-do this procedure up to three times in total. If there are still insects, the whole batch must be discarded.
If the water is insect-free, look over florets to see if any insects are visible on the tops and stems.
If no insects are noticed you may use the vegetable.

Chazaka Check - High Volume

Do NOT wash prior to checking.
Check three heads using the method above in the Low Volume section.
If one bug is found in the test heads, all the produce in the consignment must be checked head by head.
If no bugs are found, the rest of the shipment from the same brand does not require checking and may be used.

edited to add in steps in case someone didn't go to the site.

Last edited by cbsmommy on Sun, Sep 01 2013, 8:45 pm; edited 2 times in total

cbsmommy

Post Sun, Sep 01 2013, 8:44 pm
http://www.crcweb.org/fruit%20.....e.php

Cauliflower - Frozen cauliflower with a reliable hashgacha may be used without any further checking. Canned or jarred requires a reliable hashgacha. The washing and cleaning procedure for fresh and frozen cauliflower without a reliable hashgacha is as follows:

1. Remove green leaves from head.

2. Cut head into 8 pieces.

3. Prepare bowl of water mixed with vegetable wash.

4. Place (cut) cauliflower into bowl of water, and agitate for 30 seconds.

5. Remove cauliflower from water. If possible, check water to see if it contains any bugs.

6. Pull off three full florets from the cauliflower’s core.

7. Check all surfaces of the thick and thin stalks in those florets, by gently separating the thin stalks from one another (without breaking them off of the floret) and visually inspecting the stalks.

8. If no bugs are found in the above steps, the entire head may be eaten. If bugs are found, repeat the above steps.

9. For cauliflower which is cut and washed at the company (frozen or fresh-packed), begin with Step #6.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen