Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
How to hang a heavy 44x39 inch mirror

amother

Post Tue, Sep 03 2013, 10:56 pm
This mirror used to occupy the space between my wood double armoire.

I've removed the mirror so as to be able to move the two armoires side-by-side, thus increasing the space available in the room.

Now I'd like to hang this huge heavy mirror and wondered if any of you might have had experience with this.
Anything you know of that can support such a heavy mirror on the wall?

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Sep 03 2013, 11:32 pm
First of all, you MUST find the studs in your wall. Lots of methods here:

http://answers.yahoo.com/quest.....2Rt6R

Lady Godiva

Post Tue, Sep 03 2013, 11:43 pm
Go to a home improvement store (like Lowes or Home Depot) and buy a hanging kit for heavy pictures/mirrors. They go by weight.

Hydrangea

Post Wed, Sep 04 2013, 12:37 am
Is this mirror framed or unframed? If framed does it have a wire or mirror hangers on the two sides of the frame? If unframed is this a beveled mirror or a straight edge? If straight edge are the edges polished? What type of walls do you have?

Don't mean to be nosy but with this information I can probably tell you how to hang it properly.

zaq

Post Wed, Sep 04 2013, 2:18 pm
As has been said, you MUST anchor it in the studs, not in the plaster. You will also probably need to use molly bolts. Try to weigh this monster so you can ask what size molly bolts you will need. Go to a reliable home improvement or hardware store and ask one of the technical guys in the back--NOT a cashier.

amother

Post Sun, Sep 08 2013, 12:15 pm
Hydrangea wrote:
Is this mirror framed or unframed? If framed does it have a wire or mirror hangers on the two sides of the frame? If unframed is this a beveled mirror or a straight edge? If straight edge are the edges polished? What type of walls do you have?

Don't mean to be nosy but with this information I can probably tell you how to hang it properly.

The mirror is unframed. I don't know the difference bet. beveled and straight.

Indeed, it is a ''monster'' of a mirror.

amother

Post Mon, Sep 09 2013, 10:09 pm
Might anyone else have personal experience on how to hang this mirror.
I'm unable to go to a home improvement store, as I'm bedridden. Though if you have suggestions on how to hang it, I may be able to order the parts online.
I considered heavy duty double-sided tape. The downside to that is it's permanency. No way to remove this mirror when we move.

greenfire

Post Mon, Sep 09 2013, 10:18 pm
http://www.homedepot.com/webap.....10053

it really depends upon the type of wall you have ... along with the appropriate anchor type ... you can hang anything anywhere ...

[I suggest you get someone else to hang it since you don't want to over exert yourself from bed-rest & regret it later]

Hydrangea

Post Tue, Sep 10 2013, 4:46 am
I wouldn't hang it with double sided tape -- Mirror Mastic is safer for gluing to the wall permanently.

Unframed mirrors are often hung with a french cleat. These are two wooden pieces that are angled at 45 degrees. One is attached to the wall and the other is glued to the back of the mirror (mirror mastic glue might be good for this). The cleats then interlock one into the other. This method is good because the wall cleat can be attached to the studs without having to change the position of the mirror.

You can also use mounted mirror clips that screw into the wall and over the mirror as seen below (you can do a search on this site for other mirror clips as well). The type and amount would probably depend on size and weight.

http://www.crlaurence.com/crla.....11113

You might be best off getting a handyman or a professional mirror hanger to hang this -- it would probably be safest unless you know what you are doing.

amother

Post Tue, Sep 10 2013, 6:08 am
Thank you all for your tips!
I had a handyman come by, he said it would be too expensive to hang, and lots of work.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics