Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
"Smart" Refrigerators Anybody? New Home Technology

roza

Post Sun, Jan 21 2007, 4:23 pm
Quote:
"Has this ever happened to you? On your way home, you stop at the supermarket for groceries. While picking up food for dinner, you can’t remember whether there’s a steak in the freezer or if you still have enough butter for the mashed potatoes. Instead of placing a call to your significant other, let your refrigerator check the inventory for you.

Using a cell phone, it is possible to remotely access an up-to-the-minute list of the contents of the "smart" refrigerator via an Internet connection.

LG Electronic’s Internet Refrigerator is capable of alerting its user when a product has expired. The potential for this technology is enormous, but the limited availability of online grocery services has slowed its spread. Manufacturers hope to eventually develop a system by which refrigerators will not just keep tabs on the food inside, but will make lists of what is needed and automatically place an order with online grocers."

I have a feeling, our daughters will have it already by the time they will run their own homes. While in stores: " Hold on, let me call my refrigerator" LOL

TzenaRena

Post Sun, Jan 21 2007, 4:26 pm
How does it keep tabs? Can such refrigerators be used on Shabbos?

withhumor

Post Sun, Jan 21 2007, 4:46 pm
product bar codes. it can also upload a 'need list' to the store of your choice. I guess you can only use it on shabbos by turning off its smart brain.

roza

Post Sun, Jan 21 2007, 4:48 pm
Well, there is new technology- radio frequency identification (RFID) technology. Walmart is using it already- tiny chips on each product that allow to track those products and it's info (expiration for example) wirelessly. It's a next step after Bar code technology.
By then everything should have those chips and the smart refrigerator will be able to 'read' them.
Also those screens on the door can display cooking recipes, torah lectures and imamother topics from internet.

About Shabbos, I guess, if you turn off the computer and internet features, it's fine.

withhumor

Post Mon, Jan 22 2007, 6:37 am
Would you enjoy sitting in the office and be emailed from the supermarket automated system that your refrigerator has emailed them an updated inventory alert but your bank has emailed them a bounce-bank funds alert, so there goes your high-tech nightmare circus. And again, you’re stuck without yogurt, for a very low-tech reason. Wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

BeershevaBubby

Post Mon, Jan 22 2007, 7:05 am
The problems with these types of fridges is they're too smart already. With internal sensors, they automatically adjust temperature when the doors are opened, so they've been a Shabbat problem for quite a while.

raizy

Post Tue, Jan 23 2007, 8:54 pm
withhumour u just made me day.thanks.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics