Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
Help deciding! Good deal? Change my look?

seeker

Post Fri, Sep 13 2013, 12:03 am
I was offered a wig that someone had made for them but didn't want after all. They want $200 for it. Seems like a great price, but I know zilch about this because I wasn't in the market. I actually don't like my sheitel very much, but I wasn't looking for a replacement due to both budgetary concerns and just not caring THAT much. So this wig is the right color and I like some things about it, but it's a lot shorter than I've ever worn my hair or wig. Also because it's so short I don't know if the cut could be changed at all or it's just too short to cut anymore. Is the chance to get a nice wig for $200 worth totally changing my style? (reminder, I wasn't in love with my style in the first place. It's just what I've always worn and I don't change.) Or should I wait until I'm ready to look and spend a little more for a wig that might be lower quality objectively but would be a style I like better or am more comfortable with?

What's the best price you usually (including good sales or even consignment as "usual") would find a shoulder-length, comfortable wig with decent hair? (Not unusual or difficult color, though I do favor something nice with some depth/highlights as opposed to a flat brown look)

seeker

Post Fri, Sep 13 2013, 12:05 am
And how weird would it be to switch back and forth between a short and longer wig style? I would not switch daily but let's say wear one to one occasion and the other to the next occasion. Or one for more everyday and one for occasions, because maybe I like the style of my old one better but the short is much easier to wear and maintain.

winter_rose

Post Fri, Sep 13 2013, 1:03 am
seeker wrote:
And how weird would it be to switch back and forth between a short and longer wig style? I would not switch daily but let's say wear one to one occasion and the other to the next occasion. Or one for more everyday and one for occasions, because maybe I like the style of my old one better but the short is much easier to wear and maintain.

I used to switch. I also used to have different colored wigs and one was curly and one was straight. I had a non-Jewish colleague comment how amazing and cool it was how much lighter my hair looked when I straightened.

My mom has a short brown one and a long blonde one. She wears one to certain places and the other to other places. (ie she'll wear the blond one in the fall, winter and spring when she takes my brother to school and the short one in the summer to keep cool and she won't see anyone from the school.

I think if you're among frummies, people will just get used to it because they know it's not your hair anyway, so who cares what the length or color or style is if it's not realistic. It's just a hair hat.

Fabulous

Post Fri, Sep 13 2013, 2:39 am
$200 is only good for a very short one if it's a good quality.

Because you can get on sale an Irene or Milano shoulder length for in the mid400s.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Sep 13 2013, 5:30 am
If it looks good on you the way it is, grab it!

JollyMommy

Post Fri, Sep 13 2013, 9:16 am
I made a similar purchase a few years ago- bought a sheitel off a friend for $300, the cut was more layered than I liked. Wore for a few weeks and then gave it away. Felt like I threw money away.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels