Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Graphic design "certificate"

lubaussie

Post Wed, Sep 25 2013, 12:12 am
Hi, does anyone know of a good online course for Graphic design that will give me a reputable certificate? I am not interested in going to school for Hashkafic reasons, but at least a certificate or something similar that will give me *some* sort of standing in the secular world? (I'm assuming that would rule out any of the Frum courses). I also don't have much of a budget right now, so please factor that in
Also, does anyone know anything about getting gov aid for these things (NYC)
thanks for your help

Ilovechoumous

Post Wed, Sep 25 2013, 2:03 am
I really dont know much about graphic design except that I have worked with designers in designing logo's, pages, etc. im not sure if you need a certificate, you just have to be good at it. there are a lot of tutorials online about how to do pretty much everything.

peacemom

Post Wed, Sep 25 2013, 2:11 am
No one cares about your certificate and will never ask to see one or where you studied. The bottom line is working on a great portfolio.

e1234

Post Wed, Sep 25 2013, 4:32 am
as per the above posts - your portfolio is much more important then a certificate

A good graphic designer can get a lot of work -- and good does not = certificate

kb

Post Wed, Sep 25 2013, 4:53 am
I'm not sure what you mean exactly - you don't want to go to school for hashkafik reasons, but you'll go to a design course in a non-Jewish setting?!?! To me, your hashkafos seem backwards. I'm not bashing, just trying to understand.

I went to Touro College and got a degree there. There are a few frum design courses that I know about, but do not know anything about them - if they're good or not. I don't know of any non-jewish courses, but again, I'd think that going to any design classes in a non-jewish setting is way worse (more than just hashkafically) than going to a Jewish college.

And I agree that portfolio matters more than credentials. However, when I look at someone's portfolio, I can usually tell what was a real project and what was a project that they did as part of a course/college. A lot of beginner designers *think* they know what they're doing, but are just beginners, and are really missing a certain finesse that I think is gained with experience.

OldYoung

Post Wed, Sep 25 2013, 9:25 am
Also just as important as a portfolio- your network.

A degree/certificate may not really be that important if you plan to do mostly freelance work, but may be important if you plan to work for a design firm or as part of a design team for a company.

(Sorry, don't know that much about NYC programs!)

mandr

Post Wed, Sep 25 2013, 10:28 am
I never needed a graphics degree for my job. Most places, especially frum offices, wouldn't care if you have a degree or not, they just want quality work. That's all you have to show them. I interviewed many, many girls/women for a graphics position at the company where I work, and many of them with degrees showed pathetic work when I gave them a little assignment to do. The ones without the degree, who were self-taught, and who invested a lot of time and energy into furthering their skills performed much better. Not to say that degrees mean bad work, it just means that a degree isn't all.

If you davka want a degree, a certificate is rarely considered. Even an Associates degree doesn't do much today. Either way, you can try Empire State College which you can do from home at your own time. Touro is expensive. My coworker got an Associates degree there for graphics and she paid a fortune and a lot good it helped her!

amother

Post Wed, Sep 25 2013, 11:11 am
OP, I'm going to give it to you straight, and keep you from spending a bunch of time and money unnecessarily.

If you were just thinking about working in the "heimish" world with a design certificate or course, I would say go for it. The great majority of heimish-style design is appalling, but that's what you get with under-trained, under-experienced, and cheap designers - and no one seems to care very much.

But you, OP, specifically state that you want to work in the secular world. If you show up with a certificate from any sort of online course, you'll be laughed out of the interview.

People like to say - and I see some have said this on this thread as well - that the only thing that counts for a creative job like graphic design is your portfolio, and it doesn't matter how you get there. This is only partially true. You can be self-taught and have no formal education whatsoever, but if that's the case, you need to be fantastically talented. There are some things that online courses just can't teach you - principle of design, working with clients and budgets, when to edit yourself….these are just some examples of where an instructor is invaluable. With any sort of design process, a pair of fresh, objective eyes are priceless. If you are self-taught, you are missing out a certain professionalism you can't get anywhere else. Fantastic talent will make up for it. Mediocre talent won't.

Programs like Design Alive or short-term schools like Machon L'Parnossah and Touro Brooklyn are almost worse than not getting any education at all. They're teaching you HOW to use the programs technically, but the DESIGN is missing. I've seen the portfolios of people who have gone there, and the student portfolios online from Design Alive. They're not good. And it's a shame, because when done right, design can be an incredible, fulfilling career.

So to wrap up, OP, if you're really serious about becoming a designer, AND are super naturally talented, AND have the time and money to spend on courses like Lynda.com or something like that to learn everything you need to know, go for it. It will be tremendously difficult and you will need to work twice as hard as someone who has a professor to help them work through the kinks. I would suggest that if you even want a chance of working in the real professional world, go to a real college and get a Bachelor's in Design. (Associates are worthless.) Do this the right way. Otherwise, your design skills will be sorely lacking, your portfolio won't be impressive, and no one will hire you. For heimish places, you can take a course in some lady's basement. To be considered a candidate for a professional, secular job, there are no shortcuts.

Good luck.

mandr

Post Wed, Sep 25 2013, 11:18 am
amother wrote:
The great majority of heimish-style design is appalling, but that's what you get with under-trained, under-experienced, and cheap designers - and no one seems to care very much.

There are tons of well-trained, experienced heimish designers who produce amazing work and we do care. Your comment is insulting to me. Secular designers are not necessarily better. Even the ones who go to design colleges and get art degrees.

amother

Post Wed, Sep 25 2013, 11:44 am
mandr wrote:
amother wrote:
The great majority of heimish-style design is appalling, but that's what you get with under-trained, under-experienced, and cheap designers - and no one seems to care very much.

There are tons of well-trained, experienced heimish designers who produce amazing work and we do care. Your comment is insulting to me. Secular designers are not necessarily better. Even the ones who go to design colleges and get art degrees.

I am sorry you are insulted, but I stand by what I said. Note I said "great majority", not "all". But it's very much the exception, not the rule. Whenever I come across a nice ad or flyer in the Jewish community I am impressed and *surprised*.

Anyway, it's a useless argument, because what heimish designers consider "amazing work" is NOT what a secular company would consider the same. And the OP was specifically asking about working in the secular world. Oh, and this is coming from my own personal experience living in NY and working for a "heimish" place while I finished my degree (which was from Touro Manhattan, btw, not the New School) and then moving OOT and now working in a "regular" company. The standards and quality of my work, and the work that is considered acceptable...there's no comparison.

JollyMommy

Post Wed, Sep 25 2013, 8:36 pm
You can start out by offering your services for $5 on fiverr.com and then building up a portfolio.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics