Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Shared driveway

amother

Post Thu, Oct 03 2013, 1:28 pm
We have a neighbor who parks in the shared driveway but gets annoyed cuz he is a dr and he needs it in case he gets home late from a call... This is also the neighbor who said they didn't have to pay for the window that their son broke cuz he was under 13!
Also when we aren't home they for ex. play ball in the driveway and tend to break panels.(my daughter was home they didnt know, or maybe thought she wouldn't say anything to them)

The kids don't ask before taking toys from our backyard either...

Help how to deal.. And what to do??(we lived there first) plz help going crazy!

watergirl

Post Thu, Oct 03 2013, 1:32 pm
are you renting or do you own?

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Oct 03 2013, 1:41 pm
1) explain that this is a shared driveway. that means you have the right to use it too. if he's blocking constantly, he needs to park on the street.

2) if the son was over 13, the SON would be obligated to pay for the window. since he's underage, the parents are obligated. I'm assuming these people are frum, based on age mentioned. talk to your rav and bring it up with the neighbors again.

3) mark all your toys with your last name in permanent marker. explain to the parents that their children may NOT take your kids' toys without permission, nor may they set foot in your backyard without permission. this is private property. they must ask permission each and every time they want to use anything or go in the backyard. if you are not home to answer the door, they need to assume the answer is no. feel free to inform the children as well. and feel free to say no to the kids.

I don't know what panels you are talking about, but if it's your property, tell the parents they need to pay for it. take them to beis din if necessary. if that doesn't get anywhere, try court. and tell the parents that if things keep breaking, their kids will have to play baseball elsewhere.

amother

Post Thu, Oct 03 2013, 2:28 pm
watergirl wrote:
are you renting or do you own?

we own

amother

Post Thu, Oct 03 2013, 2:40 pm
mummiedearest wrote:
1) explain that this is a shared driveway. that means you have the right to use it too. if he's blocking constantly, he needs to park on the street.

He says that there is no parking on the block when he comes back.. So I don't understand y we should have to find parking on the next block over... Shouldn't it be first come first serve? We r going to start parking out car in the garage so I don't know what's going to be, it shall be fun ;-/
Quote:

2) if the son was over 13, the SON would be obligated to pay for the window. since he's underage, the parents are obligated. I'm assuming these people are frum, based on age mentioned. talk to your rav and bring it up with the neighbors again.

yes they are the husband is a bal teshuva and takes certain things and interprets them weirdly
Quote:

I don't know what panels you are talking about, but if it's your property, tell the parents they need to pay for it. take them to beis din if necessary. if that doesn't get anywhere, try court. and tell the parents that if things keep breaking, their kids will have to play baseball elsewhere.

We got a court letter for them to sign when they decided to make a camp in the backyard and used the driveway... They couldn't belive that we would make them sign such a thing... It being that we are both Jews...
All it said was that they would be responsible for water damage to the side of the house from the pools and if they or the kids broke anything we had pictures of everything... Do you think that is crazy?

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Oct 03 2013, 2:50 pm
amother wrote:
mummiedearest wrote:

He says that there is no parking on the block when he comes back.. So I don't understand y we should have to find parking on the next block over... Shouldn't it be first come first serve? We r going to start parking out car in the garage so I don't know what's going to be, it shall be fun ;-/
Quote:

yes they are the husband is a bal teshuva and takes certain things and interprets them weirdly
Quote:

We got a court letter for them to sign when they decided to make a camp in the backyard and used the driveway... They couldn't belive that we would make them sign such a thing... It being that we are both Jews...
All it said was that they would be responsible for water damage to the side of the house from the pools and if they or the kids broke anything we had pictures of everything... Do you think that is crazy?

you need to arrange a schedule with him. alternate days when the driveway is assumed to be yours. if he won't listen, block him in.

as for interpreting weirdly, take him to beis din. no one will agree with him.

and no, you're not crazy for making them sign a document. did they sign it? if they give you issue with this, be candid. "you refused to pay for the window your son broke. I'm protecting my property."

better yet, you should insist they keep the camp in their backyard only. the driveway is partially yours, and you don't want any liability should anyone get injured. they really should not be making money off of shared property without your agreement before they get clients.

watergirl

Post Thu, Oct 03 2013, 2:56 pm
The only way to decide this issue with the driveway might be with a beis din making an order, but if you do that be prepared to give it to him all the time if that's what they decide.

OR maybe tell him that if he wants rights to the shared property all the time, he is welcome to buy your half from you. You can go to the city and see if its possible to sell it to him, but he would need to pay the money to change the property lines. It is a crazy request and suggestion, but maybe then he will see that he is being ridiculous to claim first rights to shared land.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette