Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Allergies
How long can hives last?

amother

Post Wed, Oct 09 2013, 9:21 pm
Does anybody know how long hives could last

mommee

Post Wed, Oct 09 2013, 9:33 pm
It depends how long it takes the system to calm down. Did you give benadryl? You should at least see them start to diminish with in a few minutes after that...

amother

Post Wed, Oct 09 2013, 10:50 pm
On benedryl for 2 days its still coming back

mommee

Post Wed, Oct 09 2013, 10:55 pm
Have you been in touch with the allergist?
Reactions can recur-BUT-I don't know that hives for two days straight is a good/normal situation.
It could be that you're still introducing the trigger to your child and you're just not aware of that
OR maybe it's not hives but something else.
DEFINITELY be in touch with your doctor. There are no further symptoms though, right?

cbsmommy

Post Thu, Oct 10 2013, 12:22 am
Fyi, hives can also be a sign of a virus.

Basically, take him (or her) to a doctor PRONTO!

shmoopy1

Post Thu, Oct 10 2013, 11:15 am
My daughter had hives for over a year. We took her to an allergist who did testing, but everything came back inconclusive. The allergist said there are times kids can get hives and they cant figure out why. She managed to control the hives through medication - Xyzal.

Mimisinger

Post Thu, Oct 10 2013, 11:59 am
GO to the doctor now! Hives usually point to an allergen. If you've been giving Benedryl for two days this is really a problema nd CHV could become a breathing problem!

ElTam

Post Thu, Oct 10 2013, 8:25 pm
Up to a week. As another poster said, they usually start to subside pretty quickly after giving benadryl, but depending on what the allergen is, once the benadryl wears off, it can come back.

DH had an allergic reaction a few years ago and it kept coming back for five days. BH the doctor told him it can take a week for it to clear the system. He just kept taking an antihistamine until it stopped coming back. But, it did get weaker and weaker each time it came back. I think the last day the only place he had hives was on his hands and feet.

amother

Post Thu, Oct 10 2013, 9:52 pm
Thank u so mucj for ur advice and info. took every 6 hrs benadryl and meds that dr gave. finally after 4 days its getting a little better. milder and fewer b"h

mommee

Post Thu, Oct 10 2013, 9:53 pm
Glad to hear that it's improving, b'h.

Rodent

Post Thu, Oct 10 2013, 11:51 pm
Yeah up to 7-10 days. It depends on the cause. 2 of my boys and I are allergic to an antibiotic but none of us reacted until we'd taken virtually the whole dose. That much of it in our systems had us with hives that took a the full 7-10 days to clear and they were darn awful.

amother

Post Sun, Oct 13 2013, 10:24 pm
6Th day still not totally clear. can the tightness in throat also last for so long

Mimisinger

Post Mon, Oct 14 2013, 12:08 am
There's tightness in the throat for 6 days?????????????????Seriously? Call another doctor or take him to the ER - that's one dangerous game you're playing. CHV something happens. Please, do something! This is freaking me out (as a mother of allergic kids)

mommee

Post Mon, Oct 14 2013, 1:23 am
This sounds very dangerous! Tightness in the throat is not a good sign in an allergic reaction! It can be very dangerous and even fatal! Contact a doctor right away!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics