Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Eggs in restaurants/cafes

ilovesem

Post Thu, Oct 17 2013, 9:14 am
Ok a very random question but if you order scrambled or fried eggs in a restaurant, is there always a Jew in the kitchen to check them for bloodspots? Some cafes only have Shomers in and out and no permanent Jewish chefs so I was wondering how it works.

Also, a while ago we went away to Herzlyia and in the breakfast buffet, there was a lady making eggs in front of you to order and she cracked them straight into the pan without checking them. This bothered me but maybe I'm wrong?

smss

Post Thu, Oct 17 2013, 9:19 am
I don't check eggs in a cup. I look at them when I crack the egg and then dump them in the bowl to land on the other side so I would see both sides. if there was blood I would be stuck but there usually isn't. maybe that's what she was doing?

Sugar plum

Post Thu, Oct 17 2013, 9:24 am
If a non Jew checks the eggs and gets an incentive ie. money for every blood spot they find then it's fine.
The lady cracking eggs straight into the pan would bother me more.

Sanguine

Post Thu, Oct 17 2013, 9:27 am
If you trust the kashrut in a place, you don't have to second guess them. The rabbi who gives the tueda knows about checking eggs too. If it was a problem he wouldn't give a teuda.

about Herzlyia, A Rabbi told me that Tnuva eggs are all checked (believe it if you want or not, but he's a Rabbi who works in Kahrut) - maybe cause they're never fertilized (don't really know how that works with chickens but they keep the males and females apart)

Peanut2

Post Thu, Oct 17 2013, 11:53 am
White eggs in America and Israel don't have halachic blood in them AFAIK.

Tiny blood spots in white eggs don't count AFAIK.

We lived in England and I thought oh let's just buy eggs in the regular non-kosher grocery store. And every other egg was bloody. Mamash blood. Unbelievable. Like the whole thing would be red.

Now I'm going to actually look into the status of tiny blood spots in eggs. TBC.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen