Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Upsherin: what I wish I had known before

amother

Post Mon, Oct 21 2013, 8:38 am
Any tips ,ideas???

greenfire

Post Mon, Oct 21 2013, 11:37 am
get him an upsherin book ... the best of the boys cry regardless of what they know beforehand ~ a lot of people cutting at his hair can be overwhelming

make a high pony with 2 bands & everything but the peyos ... let his father/grandfather/someone special/mommy cut that & save as a memento

have a good hair scissor because household scissors are not sharp & guide each person to how much they can cut ... make sure they do NOT touch the peyos !!!

invite families with kids - not just adults

momX4

Post Mon, Oct 21 2013, 12:26 pm
Unless you are shaving your DSs hair, make sure the ponies are loose. You don't want then to cut the hair close to the scalp.

My DSs both cried. With the second DS we allowed him to open the gifts as his hair was being cut. He did ask us to glue the pony back Smile We also put a plastic tablecloth under his chair, made cleanup easy.

Get your DS involved in shopping and picking out the tzises and kippa.
Be prepared that your DS may refuse to put on a kippa. Get a yamulka clip, but if he takes it off, don't fret.

greenfire

Post Mon, Oct 21 2013, 12:28 pm
the 2 bands were to give a guide as to where to cut the pony in between the bands & not on top or below ... that would automatically make it longer & have the pony to keep

momX4

Post Mon, Oct 21 2013, 12:30 pm
greenfire wrote:
the 2 bands were to give a guide as to where to cut the pony in between the bands & not on top or below ... that would automatically make it longer & have the pony to keep

I wish someone would have told me this years ago. We messed up my first DS, but the barber did a great job so you barely noticed. No more little boys in my house.

simpleme

Post Mon, Oct 21 2013, 12:40 pm
Let DS see his totty getting a haircut and hear the machine so he dsnt freak out from the noise.
Definitely let him open presents while cutting.
Take cues from ur DS - if he is getting overwhelmed from the ppl around him - give him some space - get everyone to back off a little.
Mazel tov!

chanar

Post Mon, Oct 21 2013, 12:42 pm
My boys hair doesn't grow long enough for a major pony so it's not something I'm gonna be keeping as a keepsake. My husband stood with those scissors the entire cutting time and he called each person up to cut and gave them the piece to cut!! It wasn't like a free for all please take a snip!! We keep our boys hair with cute bangs not shaved off so I didn't want any disasters!! Actually only made one so far, the second one in a couple weeks. We talk for months about what the big day! We read books and talk about what's gonna happen all the time!! My older son didnt cry, nor was he even afraid!! It was a huge thrill for him. He had been b4 with his father to the barber so maybe that's why? Also I don't do a machine cut the first time.. Scissors only. It's less frightening. It's a lot of fun!

greenfire

Post Mon, Oct 21 2013, 12:47 pm
simpleme wrote:

Take cues from ur DS - if he is getting overwhelmed from the ppl around him - give him some space - get everyone to back off a little.

excellent advice !!!

we took sonny boy away from the crowd to his room ... he needed a lot of space

luvinlife

Post Mon, Oct 21 2013, 1:18 pm
don't overspend on an upsherin party. there's still his bar mitzva and wedding

watergirl

Post Mon, Oct 21 2013, 2:12 pm
I see so many threads here looking for theme ideas and entertainment...
Remember, its a party for a 3 year old! Still a baby! Remember that though he is the star of the show, he is a very little boy and about to experience a potential trauma of loosing his hair. Make it simple and fun for him. A meaningful and simple party will get the best, most cooperative child.

chocolate chips

Post Mon, Oct 21 2013, 4:40 pm
I remember being by an upsherin and the little boy just sat there (with tons and tons of people around) still as a statue, not making a face or a peep.
I was shocked as having 3 brothers and several nephews, although most behaved they all jumped around wanted nash cried etc.

Im watching this thread.....I have 6months to go.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics