Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
What can I make with these veggies that will last?

seeker

Post Sun, Oct 27 2013, 7:59 pm
I had no veggies in the house and then the store had a beautiful selection with great prices, so I bought a lot - mostly eggplant, zucchini squash, and yellow squash. More than we will eat all at once. What can I make that is preservable? I have a couple of favorite dishes with each but can't imagine they would freeze well (mostly roasting or sauteeing) Even if not freezable, if there's something that would last more than a week in the fridge that would still be good, because these things tend to go bad pretty fast so extending their life even somewhat would help.

Healthy only (not fried breaded eggplant!) No cheese, please.

mummiedearest

Post Sun, Oct 27 2013, 8:03 pm
zucchini squash and yellow squash--

slice into thick slices. place in large pot. add spices: black pepper, oregano, garlic, onion, salt optional. cover with tomato juice. bring to a boil. allow squash to get soft. turn off flame. mix in one pound farmers cheese (you can use regular cottage cheese) and cubed/shredded cheese of your choice (I like to use muenster and cheddar). mix to melt. this freezes well, and I like to eat it cold better than hot, but I like cold food.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Oct 27 2013, 8:05 pm
You can do a marinated salad with the 2 colors of squash.
And a sauteed eggplant salad made with tomato sauce should last a week in the fridge too.

seeker

Post Sun, Oct 27 2013, 8:18 pm
How long do you reckon a marinated salad would keep? Through Shabbos at least? Favorite recipe?

ra_mom

Post Sun, Oct 27 2013, 8:45 pm
Yes, through shabbos.
You can use the rainbow salad marinade.
http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....inbow

seeker

Post Sun, Oct 27 2013, 8:46 pm
Doesn't have any squash in it?

ra_mom

Post Sun, Oct 27 2013, 9:01 pm
seeker wrote:
Doesn't have any squash in it?
Right Smile But you can use the marinade/dressing.
Make a salad with any vegetables you like.
I like marinated zucchini, yellow squash, carrot, baby corn, raw snow peas, raw cauliflower (not necessarily all at once).

srbmom

Post Sun, Oct 27 2013, 10:19 pm
I have actually roasted these vegetables and froze them with success.
When I take them out of the freezer I let them defrost and then drain the water. Then warm very well.

imasinger

Post Sun, Oct 27 2013, 10:22 pm
I also have a lot of zucchini and eggplant. I'm going to make a large spicy ratatouille. It should keep for a week or so in the fridge.

I love having it for lunch, because it's filling and low in calories and carbs.

oliveoil

Post Sun, Oct 27 2013, 10:25 pm
I would make a soup with the zucchini and squash. Freezes well.

Blue jay

Post Sun, Oct 27 2013, 10:25 pm
1 sliced zuccini squash sizzled and served with eggs for breakfast. A nice alternative to hashbrowns!

Also breaded and baked zuccini freezes very well. Serve it up on a bed of noodles with sauce.

seeker

Post Sun, Oct 27 2013, 10:26 pm
Imasinger, what's your spicy ratatouille recipe? I've been experimenting but haven't found true love yet. Spicy sounds good, though!

Rutabaga

Post Sun, Oct 27 2013, 10:28 pm
Ratatouille freezes very well.

imasinger

Post Sun, Oct 27 2013, 11:04 pm
seeker wrote:
Imasinger, what's your spicy ratatouille recipe? I've been experimenting but haven't found true love yet. Spicy sounds good, though!

It's in the Moosewood cookbook. I often make a double batch.

1 medium onion, chopped
2 bell peppers, chopped (I like different colors)
2 zucchini and/or summer squash, chopped
1 small eggplant, cubed
4 cloves garlic, crushed
2 tomaroes, chopped
1 t cumin
1 t coriander
1 t chili powder
3 T burgundy
1/2 C tomato juice
2 T tomato paste
2 t salt
Pepper (black and cayenne) to taste
1/4 C olive oil

Saute garlic, spices, and onions in oil until translucent. Add eggplant, wine, tomato juice. Simmer 15 min. Add pepper and zucchini. Simmer another 10-15 min. Add salt, pepper. Simmer until it looks cooked but not overcooked. Garnish with chopped parsley if desired.

greenfire

Post Sun, Oct 27 2013, 11:13 pm
throw them in a veggie soup ...

roast them ...

sautee them with garlic, olive oil, onions, peppers & tomatoes

babaganoush

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, Oct 28 2013, 5:23 pm
Another vote for ratatouille that freezes well. It has an added advantage of using both eggplants and zucchinis (or aubergines and courgettes as we say).

For eggplant, you can halve them, put the cut side down, sprinkle a bit of salt and broil. Once the skin is charred, scoop up the flesh and mash. It freezes better at this point, as baba ganoush has tahini which separates once frozen/defrosted. You can also use this mashed baked eggplant as a base for chopped eggplant salad (season with olive oil and lemon juice, add colour with chopped red/yellow peppers and chopped parsley) or for quiche/flan or to bake with rice.

You can also turn them into eggplant parmegian. Or halve and slice, sprinkle salt and leave for 30min, rinse, then do the flour-egg-breadcrumb thingie and fry for fried eggplant.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen