Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
How do you cook ptitim?

amother

Post Thu, Oct 31 2013, 12:45 pm
I want to know how to cook yummy ptitim--israeli couscous. dh bought me a few bags 'cuz they were on descount but when I tried to follow instructions they came out either rock hard and inedible or if I added a bit more water they all became one big mess and stuck to the pot. what am I doing wrong? also what do you use for seasoning? I just add salt n'pepper but it's just bland , blah and I hate wasting food but had to toss the whole thing. please help!! something I can make for shabbos would be gr8t

theoneandonly

Post Thu, Oct 31 2013, 12:50 pm
Saute onion. Add couscous and let it fry till it gets slightly browned also. Add salt, pepper, garlic, paprika, a little sugar. Add water and cook according to package directions (My Osem bag says 1 1/4 C water for 1 C couscous, boil then simmer 6 minutes, let sit without opening cover 5 minutes).

sped

Post Thu, Oct 31 2013, 12:54 pm
theoneandonly wrote:
Saute onion. Add couscous and let it fry till it gets slightly browned also. Add salt, pepper, garlic, paprika, a little sugar. Add water and cook according to package directions (My Osem bag says 1 1/4 C water for 1 C couscous, boil then simmer 6 minutes, let sit without opening cover 5 minutes).

I do teh same, but leave out the sugar. You need to first fry it up a bit. Also, when it is ready, stir it to break up clumps. Eat it right away, otherwise it reclumps.

vicki

Post Thu, Oct 31 2013, 12:56 pm
theoneandonly wrote:

Yup, but no garlic, no sugar, no paprika. Yes parsley flakes.
With enough water absorbed it comes out nice and soft.
Gets un-mushy in a few minutes once uncovered.
I love it too.

amother

Post Thu, Oct 31 2013, 1:11 pm
op. thank you for suggestions. I also used 1 1/4cup of water for 1 cup but it was rock hard. do I need to add more water? also does anyone have ptitim recipe I can use a microwave or an oven?

Tamiri

Post Thu, Oct 31 2013, 1:18 pm
The bag (Osem) gives EXACT instruction on how much BOILING water to add to a package. IIRC, it's 800 ml boiling water. That is NOT a cup. It's 800 ml. Following their instructions exactly yields perfect ptitim every time.

amother

Post Thu, Oct 31 2013, 1:37 pm
ok. one more thing. can you reheat ptitim or eat it cold for shabbos?

Tamiri

Post Thu, Oct 31 2013, 1:42 pm
amother wrote:
ok. one more thing. can you reheat ptitim or eat it cold for shabbos?
They get dried out if you heat and reheat but yes you can heat them on the plata. Cold they aren't good, IMO.

Sanguine

Post Thu, Oct 31 2013, 1:57 pm
Are you talking Ptitim or couscous?

Here's the trick to Ptitim I learned from my son...

first chop and saute an onion (optional) - You can add mushrooms too (also optional)

In any case warm a drop of oil and put the Ptitim in and mix. (if you did the saute onion, add it to there)

Then (or meanwhile) boil water in your kumkum.

Now here's the trick - don't follow the directions!!

Keep the gas pretty high

Pour boiling water over the ptitim. Mix.

Don't cover! and don't leave it - you can add salt and soup mix for taste

Keep mixing. Add more boiling water as you're mixing and watching.

As the Ptitim cook ou can lower the gas a little more - the water is disappearing and you don't want them to burn

Just keep adding the water slowly as you need it. The water will be absorbed so when it looks right (about 6 minutes like the bag says but can take longer). If you're watching you won't add too much water, just make sure you don't add too little. Shut the gas and then cover the pot till you're ready to eat them.

It's not what the directions say at all but it comes out great

etky

Post Thu, Oct 31 2013, 2:19 pm
Sanguine wrote:
Are you talking Ptitim or couscous?

Here's the trick to Ptitim I learned from my son...

first chop and saute an onion (optional) - You can add mushrooms too (also optional)

In any case warm a drop of oil and put the Ptitim in and mix. (if you did the saute onion, add it to there)

Then (or meanwhile) boil water in your kumkum.

Now here's the trick - don't follow the directions!!

Keep the gas pretty high

Pour boiling water over the ptitim. Mix.

Don't cover! and don't leave it - you can add salt and soup mix for taste

Keep mixing. Add more boiling water as you're mixing and watching.

As the Ptitim cook ou can lower the gas a little more - the water is disappearing and you don't want them to burn

Just keep adding the water slowly as you need it. The water will be absorbed so when it looks right (about 6 minutes like the bag says but can take longer). If you're watching you won't add too much water, just make sure you don't add too little. Shut the gas and then cover the pot till you're ready to eat them.

It's not what the directions say at all but it comes out great

Sounds like 'ptitim a la risotto' Very Happy

Lady Godiva

Post Thu, Oct 31 2013, 2:25 pm
Tamiri wrote:
The bag (Osem) gives EXACT instruction on how much BOILING water to add to a package. IIRC, it's 800 ml boiling water. That is NOT a cup. It's 800 ml. Following their instructions exactly yields perfect ptitim every time.

That's what I do and it comes out perfect every time. I usually sautee an onion before I add the ptitim into the pot.

Sanguine

Post Thu, Oct 31 2013, 2:39 pm
One more thing... I usually don't buy Osem. There are a lot of cheaper brands in Israel

OOTBubby

Post Thu, Oct 31 2013, 4:06 pm
amother wrote:
op. thank you for suggestions. I also used 1 1/4cup of water for 1 cup but it was rock hard. do I need to add more water? also does anyone have ptitim recipe I can use a microwave or an oven?

I use a lot more water and simmer until it's almost absorbed and then leave it cover to steam the rest of the way. I also find 1.25 cups isn't enough.

perquacky

Post Thu, Oct 31 2013, 7:58 pm
I brown one cup in olive oil and then pour in 2 cups of water with a soup cube added. No need to add any additional spices. Cover and simmer on low until all the water is absorbed. Stir occasionally. Brown onions and mushrooms in a separate pan. Mix into the ptitim.

Got this method from my husband the chef. Works every time.

AlwaysThinking

Post Fri, Nov 01 2013, 1:04 am
I think I found this method of imamother, it changed my ptitim ways forever Wink

Fry the dry ptitim in a little oil. Add spices etc. (fried onions if you want) Add boiling water to cover. Put the lid on the pan, turn off the gas. Come back after 45 mins and all the water is absorbed, perfect texture with soft, individual ptitim.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions