Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Have you gotten a new dishwasher recently?

amother

Post Mon, Oct 28 2013, 11:14 am
So we recently moved and got a new dishwasher. I always prerinse my dishes, but I sometimes miss spots...and it seemed like the dishes just weren't getting clean. So I tried putting in a spoon with some fresh yogurt on it...and the dishwasher didn't clean it completely.

The people who sold me the dishwasher are saying that this is normal...you need to use the really expensive dish soap "pods" in order to really clean the dishes...use a really high water temp...clean the filter and run a load with vinegar in it once every few months to clean it out...HELLO? Is this normal? They're saying that because of environmental legistlation, all the new dishwashers are like this. They use a lot less water, a lot less energy, and the phosphates aren't in detergents anymore...

If they said that's why it didn't DRY the dishes. Or why it didn't get off the really hard, caked-on stuff, I'd hear. But that it can't wash off a bit of yogurt? A bit of cream cheese? Fresh, soft, that I could run under the faucet and clean off without a problem?

Just wondering if they're trying to pull the wool over my eyes or whether other people with new dishwashers have this same problem...

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, Oct 28 2013, 6:03 pm
amother wrote:
The people who sold me the dishwasher are saying that this is normal...you need to use the really expensive dish soap "pods" in order to really clean the dishes...use a really high water temp...clean the filter and run a load with vinegar in it once every few months to clean it out...HELLO? Is this normal? They're saying that because of environmental legistlation, all the new dishwashers are like this. They use a lot less water, a lot less energy, and the phosphates aren't in detergents anymore...

Just out of curiosity, what do you use for soap/detergent? You know you can't use the regular washing-up liquid, right?

Also do you live in an area with very hard water? If so did you replenish salt or use detergent tablets that incorporate salt to soften the water?

abby1776

Post Mon, Oct 28 2013, 6:10 pm
I just bought the cheapest dishwashers possible from Home Depot (Fridgaidaire). I do not have this problem and I live in Monsey where there is really hard water.

So I don't know the people who sold you the dishwashers are talking about

ValleyMom

Post Tue, Oct 29 2013, 9:30 am
I agree with OP.
There are a lot of restrictions depending on what state you live in.

Our brand new GE dishwashers are so pathetic its not worth the effort toload and unload.
And I use the pods.

It does not clean heavily greasy dirty dishes. It would probably wash cream cheese though.
But not worth the money to run or the efort to bend and load and empty...

m+m

Post Tue, Oct 29 2013, 3:01 pm
I have a new Maytag dishwasher and I find the dishes are often wet even after the heat dry. The dishes weren't super clean either. I was told to use the pods (I don't remember which ones, but a specific one) and turn the water in my sink really hot for a few seconds before running the load. It seems to have helped a bit. Dishwashers are not made the same as they used to be..

nylon

Post Tue, Oct 29 2013, 3:39 pm
I have a 1yo bosch.

The single dose detergent does work better. The companies are focusing all their efforts at improving these, not the regular detergent.

Plastic doesn't get quite as dry because it does not blast hot air.

If you're getting spots on the dishes switch detergent. 3 or so years ago all detergent was formulated to be phosphate free and Cascade started leaving horrible residue on all my dishes. I use Finish Powerballs.

Use rinse-aid as specified.

It still does a better, quieter job than my old GE. Smaller interior because it is more insulated though.

Do wash it every few months and, yes, clean the filter! THis has always been true... clogged filter means the dirt goes back on the dishes.

amother

Post Tue, Oct 29 2013, 3:48 pm
I have three Kichen Aid dishwashers which I love. I use rinse agent (if I don't then dishes aren't always dry) and I now use pods. (cascade) I used to use powder which was OK but I switched to pods when I had surgery and couldn't lift the huge Costco sized dishwasher detergent box. They work even better. I am terrible about getting every drop off when I pre-rinse. I live in Monsey and have very hard water but do have a water softener.

Amother because of so much identifying information- three dishwashers, Monsey, recently had surgery etc... (yes, if you think you know who I am then Hi!)

Basya

Post Tue, Oct 29 2013, 3:57 pm
I'm just going to chime in here -

I noticed that when buying the finish brand - only some of them have hashgacha - and even the ones that do, only sometimes they do. In short - you have to check every box.
I checked with the OU and they told me that only some of the Finish locations where these items are made are certified.

I've had to return boxes of finish quantum and finish powerballs due to this, and have even compared boxes that look exactly identical except for the OU on one and not on the other.

Hope this saves someone some hassle.

Sorry OP, can't really help you out. I got my whirlpool a year ago and I'm pretty satisfied - nothing major. I do only use the "pods". I often get them on sale at the drugstores with coupons.

Leahh

Post Mon, Nov 04 2013, 2:31 pm
I am buying a new dishwasher now. Can the people who posted here , and others, please post the model dishwasher you have?

supermom3

Post Mon, Nov 04 2013, 2:45 pm
I recently got 2 Bosch's - The Fleishig one is about 3 years old. Does a great cleaning jobbut takes sooo long.(like 2 hours)

But my milchig Bosch I love!! It has a 29 minute cycle (which somehow turned to 33 minutes). I run it almost every day. I used to wait and wait to make sure to fit every little thing in but for 29 minutes I run it when it's pretty full. It doesn't heat the water as hot so I have to use powder since the cubes don't dissolve enough. That cycle probably wouldn't be good enough for Fleishig (I put in pots and burned pans...)but it's fine for Milchig- It's as hot as the water I would use to hand wash
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen