Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Boys summer camp - recent experience only please

amother

Post Thu, Oct 31 2013, 7:49 am
My DS wants to go away to camp next summer, he will be 13. He likes learning and likes sports, not well versed in secular teen culture and I want to keep it that way.
I was wondering where moderately yeshivish boys go to camp these days and anyone's recent experience.
We are thinking of sending him to shaar hatorah in Queens for HS, where do boys from there go?
TIA!
ps- isn't it crazy that we have to think about this in the FALL? Rolling Eyes

doctorima

Post Thu, Oct 31 2013, 9:08 am
Where are his friends going? Even if you find a camp with a good reputation, I think it's important that he know some kids before showing up there. You could also ask his teachers for recommendations based on him and where other kids from his current school have gone in the past.

As far as recommendations, do you specifically want a place where the boys are not TOO yeshivish? If your son likes sports and is not into secular culture, I would think he would be happy at Agudah, which has a good name. I don't think there's an official (or even unofficial) camp that Shaar HaTorah boys go to. I've also heard good things about a smaller camp called Tashbar.

syrima

Post Thu, Oct 31 2013, 9:40 am
OP here - that's so funny bc our neighbors send to Tashbar - they like it a lot. I just found it strange that the boys have to wear pants all the time in the summer, even for pyjamas. but I guess that is the norm for yeshivish camps?
My ds is not really so close to kids his age in school, and he has no problem making new friends. He is the outgoing, articulate type. I just want a camp where they have decent facilities and trips, no phones and MP3s allowed, and high level learning.

syrima

Post Fri, Nov 01 2013, 9:51 am
bump

animeme

Post Mon, Nov 04 2013, 6:47 pm
You can try Agudah, or Rayim. I don't know where the Shaar Hatorah boys go before they get there, but once they're in yeshiva they do Ohr Shraga.

Keep in mind with the phones and mp3 players that rules against them doesn't mean they're not present.

syrima

Post Tue, Nov 05 2013, 8:47 am
Thank you all! Very Happy

If your ds goes to sleepaway one half of the summer, what does he do the other half?

amother

Post Tue, Nov 05 2013, 10:14 am
How about Romimu. Not yeshivish but very frum. no phones for campers.

Isramom8

Post Tue, Nov 05 2013, 11:35 am
Mogen Av or Avraham Chaim Heller? Too modern for him?

shanie5

Post Tue, Nov 05 2013, 6:29 pm
Dora Golding?

syrima

Post Wed, Nov 06 2013, 8:04 am
Thanks for all the suggestions. Romimu has a really nice website, definitely a possibility.
I know people who send to Mogen Av, Tashbar, and Agudah.
I guess if these camps have been around a while they must be good.

rb

Post Wed, Nov 06 2013, 8:09 am
My kids go to romimu, they love it and talk about it all year.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children