Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
ISO Spinach recipe without eggs or dairy ingredients

wereafamily

Post Tue, Nov 12 2013, 8:54 am
My 15 month old is low in iron, I want to introduce spinach to his diet, he is allergic to eggs and diary - I'm looking for a recipe I can make that we will all eat.

I never made spinach before without eggs and diary - any ideas?

TIA Smile

pause

Post Tue, Nov 12 2013, 8:58 am
My recipe goes like this:
I use frozen spinach so it needs to first fully defrost and let all the water cook out of it.
Then sauté spinach about five minutes
Add 1 clove crushed garlic, sauté a bit more.
Add a handful of flour. Mix to get a thick glob. Then add water to cover (and salt to flavor) and let cook till it returns to a creamy consistency. (between half hour and hour)

Once it's all cooked, I add one egg to the pot and mix it in. It just helps it be a bit more creamy. But plenty of times, I've forgotten this last step, and no one felt a difference, so I'd say you can safely omit it.

smss

Post Tue, Nov 12 2013, 8:59 am
I hear you can put spinach in smoothies and you don't even taste it. haven't tried it yet though....

what about just sauteing it with garlic & olive oil?

smss

Post Tue, Nov 12 2013, 9:01 am
or salad with dressing? funnily enough my 15mo likes to eat romaine lettuce with homemade italian dressing.....

pause

Post Tue, Nov 12 2013, 9:07 am
smss wrote:
or salad with dressing? funnily enough my 15mo likes to eat romaine lettuce with homemade italian dressing.....
I think raw spinach leaves don't taste as good as romaine lettuce.

bigsis144

Post Tue, Nov 12 2013, 9:11 am
You can add spinach to rice, there's a recipe in the first (I think?) Kosher by Design cookbook.

I like to marinate chicken breasts in Italian dressing, then cut it into cubes and saute. When it's almost done, I throw in handfuls of raw spinach leaves. The leaves wilt and get soft and you can fit a good 8 ounces of spinach in there without adding any bulk. You can serve over rice, or wrapped up in flour tortillas. (I got the idea from a wrap I saw at a restaurant.)

flowerpower

Post Tue, Nov 12 2013, 9:13 am
I make creamed spinach- a paste with garlic oil and flour. Then I add spinach spices and some water. Kids love it.

greenfire

Post Tue, Nov 12 2013, 9:16 am
I can't imagine anybody eating spinach - let alone a 15 month old ...

but here goes nothing - sautee the leave with olive oil & garlic ... and a sprinkle of salt

p.s. raw baby spinach is sweet & akin to any lettuce lover's palate

have you tried chopped liver

have you tried iron supplements

Mrs Bissli

Post Tue, Nov 12 2013, 9:16 am
Spinach brekas:
Chop spinach, sautee with chopped onion and s&p.
Once cool to handle, wrap with puff pastry, egg wash and bake.
You can mix the spinach filling with mashed potato.

Saag alloo (spinach and potato curry)
1kg spinach, washed and chopped, including the stems
2 medium onions, peeled and chopped
1 piece ginger the size of the pinky nail, grated or finely chopped
4 medium size potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch cubes
turmeric, cumin, pepper & salt
3 tbsp tomato concentrate (puree)

Sautee onions and ginger in 2tbsp oil till softened but not browned, about 5-10min.
Add spinach, potato, spices, tomato concentrate and about 1cup water.
Cook covered over a low to medium flame for 25-30min till vegetables are soft,
stirring occasionally. Check seasoning.

Great served with rice or as filling in a pitta. You can use red lentils (in which case
increase the cooking time) or cauliflowers instead of potatoes.

alef12

Post Tue, Nov 12 2013, 9:28 am
Funny, this is what I am planning on making for supper tonight...

Spinach pasta-
Cook pasta (whole wheat, brown rice, or even regular)
Dice one extra large onion OR two mediun, Defrost bag of frozen spinach, dice a few garlic cloves (2-6 depending on how much you like garlic ;-) )
Squeeze out water from spinach as well as you can and set aside. Sautee onion in oil. I use only about a Tbsp but if you like it oilier you can use more. When it's golden brown add garlic and sautee for another minute. Add spinach and sautee for a few more minutes. If you don't add more oil then I do you're going to need to keep stirring to keep it from sticking. Add salt snd pepper to taste. Add to pasta. Done.

We like spinach a lot so I use a huge bag of frozen spinach to one pound of pasta. It's very 'spinach-ey' yum!!

greenfire

Post Tue, Nov 12 2013, 9:57 am
alef12 wrote:

Spinach pasta-
Cook pasta (whole wheat, brown rice, or even regular)!

you know they actually sell - pasta that's green & spinach flavored

wereafamily

Post Tue, Nov 12 2013, 10:10 am
Wow, thank you all! Your the best!
Since DH is also a picky eater the only recipe I think that might work is this recipe. I might take out some and add cheese to the rest. Hope it works.

BTW he is on iron supplements and he won't touch liver...

alef12 wrote:
Funny, this is what I am planning on making for supper tonight...

Spinach pasta-
Cook pasta (whole wheat, brown rice, or even regular)
Dice one extra large onion OR two mediun, Defrost bag of frozen spinach, dice a few garlic cloves (2-6 depending on how much you like garlic ;-) )
Squeeze out water from spinach as well as you can and set aside. Sautee onion in oil. I use only about a Tbsp but if you like it oilier you can use more. When it's golden brown add garlic and sautee for another minute. Add spinach and sautee for a few more minutes. If you don't add more oil then I do you're going to need to keep stirring to keep it from sticking. Add salt snd pepper to taste. Add to pasta. Done.

We like spinach a lot so I use a huge bag of frozen spinach to one pound of pasta. It's very 'spinach-ey' yum!!

Beyla

Post Tue, Nov 12 2013, 11:35 am
Have you ever heard of "pkeila"? It's a Sepharadic dish made of meat, beans and spinach. I can post the recipe if interested.

AlwaysGrateful

Post Tue, Nov 12 2013, 12:19 pm
My ds, 15 mo, eats plain frozen spinach, defrosted.

It's messy, but he likes it. (Found this out when he started SCREAMING for some while I was making dinner one day...)

irrationalrose

Post Tue, Nov 12 2013, 12:30 pm
http://www.instructables.com/I.....Free/

3 big Potatoes (any kind you like)
2 or 3 cups of Spinach fresh or frozen (or any other leafy green)
3 cloves of Garlic
1 tbsp Basil
2 tbsp Chives
2 tbsp Parsley
1/2 tsp Cumin
2 tbsp Nutritional Yeast (optional)
3 tbsp White Wine (optional)

Chop the potatoes in big chunks and boil until done but very firm (about 6 minutes). Add some salt to the water if you want. You can use frozen spinach, no problem with that. Just make sure to get all the water out before cooking.

Chop the Spinach. Cook it in a pan with the chopped garlic and the wine (or substitute for water) for 3 or 4 minutes until it's soft.

Chop the herbs.

Mix everything in a bowl, (including the nutritional yeast if you have it on hand, if not don't worry) and let it rest until it's cool enough for you to touch it without burning your hands.

Then proceed to make small balls (like meatballs).

Bake for 15 minutes at 450 degrees. Make sure you put some cooking spray in your baking dish so they don't stick.

Mommy3.5

Post Tue, Nov 12 2013, 2:26 pm
I make egg free spinach patties for RH. I dont have an exact recipe, but, can give you an approxomite recipe.

I bag thawed and drained frozen spinach
2 potatoes mashed
3/4 c- 1 c flour
salt and pepper to taste

mix till you have a nice firm ball. add more flour if needed.
form balls the size of meatballs and flatten with the palm of your hand
fry lightly on both sides

do one patty first to test if it will stay together, if it doesnt add more flour or potato keep trying till your sure it holds up. sometimes it takes a few tries.

Happy18

Post Tue, Nov 12 2013, 2:33 pm
I puree vegetables and put in meatloaf. Spinach is one of the ones I use. Everyone who tastes it is surprised to hear how healthy it is.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Nov 12 2013, 3:16 pm
pause wrote:
smss wrote:
I think raw spinach leaves don't taste as good as romaine lettuce.
Baby spinach leaves taste much better than romaine lettuce. They are a treat.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Nov 12 2013, 3:17 pm
You can do a creamed spinach dish wiith frozen spinach. Yum.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics