Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
ASAP ~ how to make ice cubes ?!
Previous  1  2

Rutabaga

Post Mon, Nov 11 2013, 11:33 pm
Happy 2B wrote:
I'm on a low carb, low sugar and low water diet. Are there any possible substitutions for the water in this recipe?

I would say vodka, but that's made from potatoes.

Volunteer

Post Mon, Nov 11 2013, 11:57 pm
Where can I find CHEAP ice cube trays in Boro Park?

mummy-bh

Post Tue, Nov 12 2013, 1:25 am
I'm loving the comments!!

DrMom

Post Tue, Nov 12 2013, 2:03 am
aleza wrote:
Is there a one for boiled water?

Put 2 cups of ice cubes (see previous recipe) in pot...

Frumdoc

Post Tue, Nov 12 2013, 7:16 am
What is wrong with you all?

Are you too lazy to go out and buy some?

You should be supporting our kosher shops and ensuring the owners have a decent parnasa before doing such frivolous things like making your own ice.

Chatterbox Cheers Party

(PS. The first time I heard you could buy a bag of ice cubes I thought it was a joke. I grew up very sheltered Very Happy )

Raisin

Post Tue, Nov 12 2013, 7:19 am
greenfire wrote:
Quote:
I wanted to make your recipe but our well ran dry, so I didn't have any water to make ice. Since I was having a party, I really had to come up with a clear liquid substitute so I would have ice on hand. A word of warning: when you make vodka cubes your BIL will hit a tree with his new car and your sister will never speak to you again.

I thought vodka doesn't freeze??!!!

Lady Godiva

Post Tue, Nov 12 2013, 8:58 am
Raisin wrote:
greenfire wrote:
Quote:
I wanted to make your recipe but our well ran dry, so I didn't have any water to make ice. Since I was having a party, I really had to come up with a clear liquid substitute so I would have ice on hand. A word of warning: when you make vodka cubes your BIL will hit a tree with his new car and your sister will never speak to you again.

I doesn't!

Lady Godiva

Post Tue, Nov 12 2013, 9:01 am
I totally fell for this thread, thinking somebody here is a young newlywed and has no clue how to make ice cubes! I mean, we live in the age where we have computers in our freezers that draw the water (who knows where from--the well?) and make the ice (it's magic!), so I figured, there's some poor woman out there who has no clue how to make ice cubes!
Speechless

DrMom

Post Tue, Nov 12 2013, 9:03 am
Lady Godiva wrote:
Raisin wrote:
greenfire wrote:
Quote:

I doesn't!

Of course vodka freezes, just at a much lower temperature than water ( -27degC for 80-proof vodka, as opposed to 0degC for water).

Obviously, you won't be able to freeze vodka in a standard home freezer.

m in Israel

Post Tue, Nov 12 2013, 9:06 am
I grew up in S. Florida, and I remember after Hurricane Andrew there were people selling bags of ice cubes out of the backs of trucks for exorbitant amounts (people were out of electricity for ages and were using the ice in coolers to try to keep food fresh). The line going around then was "well, of course the price for ice cubes went up -- the recipe got lost!"

Lady Godiva

Post Tue, Nov 12 2013, 9:07 am
DrMom wrote:
Lady Godiva wrote:
Raisin wrote:
greenfire wrote:
Quote:

I doesn't!

Of course vodka freezes, just at a much lower temperature than water ( -27degC for 80-proof vodka, as opposed to 0degC for water).

Obviously, you won't be able to freeze vodka in a standard home freezer.

Idea True! Thanks for clarifying that.

greenfire

Post Tue, Nov 12 2013, 9:23 am
how do we try to freeze vodka - with detailed recipes please

otherwise I'll just have to drink it

לחיים Drunken Smile

greenfire

Post Tue, Nov 12 2013, 9:31 am
Frumdoc wrote:
What is wrong with you all?

Are you too lazy to go out and buy some?

You should be supporting our kosher shops and ensuring the owners have a decent parnasa before doing such frivolous things like making your own ice.

Chatterbox Cheers Party

(PS. The first time I heard you could buy a bag of ice cubes I thought it was a joke. I grew up very sheltered Very Happy )

well I'll take you camping - then you'll truly understand the genius behind selling ice cubes ... other than in the early 19th century

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_trade

CatLady

Post Tue, Nov 12 2013, 12:25 pm
I know how to make plain ice, thanks to the helpful hints on this thread. But what if I wanted something vanilla-flavoured? I have to stop, collaborate and listen!

alte mamme

Post Tue, Nov 12 2013, 9:32 pm
Actually she explains why she posted the recipe:

"I'm publishing this recipe because I'm sure that there are other families who have members, who don't know how or have forgotten how to make ice when the tray is empty"

So appropriate these days when people don't talk to each other because they are so busy with their phones and computers. I'm sure people have also posted tutorials on how to replace the roll of toilet paper, or the pros and cons of putting the cap back on the toothpaste.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics