Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Gift for psychologist

amother

Post Wed, Nov 13 2013, 1:47 pm
Any ideas. I want to give something real special. Maybe something for her office..

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Nov 13 2013, 2:11 pm
freudian slippers Smile

http://www.philosophersguild.c......html

amother

Post Thu, Nov 14 2013, 3:32 am
just pay her on time

imasoftov

Post Thu, Nov 14 2013, 8:27 am
The OP doesn't say if this is a gift to someone who just happens to be a psychologist, or a gift to a psychologist who treats her or someone in her family. In case of the latter, I'm including this excerpt from a page at the American Psychological Association site about ethical questions.

http://www.apa.org/monitor/oct......aspx

Should I accept a gift from a client?

Ethics Committee member Neil Massoth, PhD, noted that while there's no specific ethical standard that addresses client gifts, there is some guidance in the code. For example, Principle A says psychologists strive to benefit their clients and do no harm--would accepting or refusing the gift cause harm? Would accepting the gift create a harmful or exploitative relationship, as in Standards 3.06 and 3.08? Other factors include whether it's personal in nature, a one-time occurrence or a pattern, for a special occasion or no apparent reason, and expensive or reasonable in cost.

For example, he recounted at first feeling uncomfortable accepting a large chocolate and peanut butter x-mas candy from a client. However, he changed his mind when she told him that she made 60 to 70 every holiday, and humorously added that he "shouldn't feel too terribly important."

When weighing their decision, psychologists should also consider cultural factors, he added--pointing to Principle E on respecting the dignity of others. Depending on a person's background, he said, psychologists may do more harm than good if they refuse a reasonable gift. That said, he also noted that many psychologists have a flat no-acceptance policy.

amother

Post Thu, Nov 14 2013, 10:50 am
Not op, but never thought it was a problem to give a gift to therapist. Dh and I have been going to a therapist who helped us tremendously. We obviously pay him on time, after each session. We feel we owe him a gift to show appreciation. We were thinking of buying an expensive pen.

greenfire

Post Thu, Nov 14 2013, 10:52 am
a psychologist is not your mother ... no gift necessary

Boysrock!

Post Thu, Nov 14 2013, 3:19 pm
Mistake
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics