Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Where are the young families in Hollywood, Florida?
Previous  1  2

Tzippora

Post Thu, Feb 23 2012, 7:27 am
medola wrote:
Thank you for this insightful discussion!

Are there any other rental buildings besides Fairways?
How far can a couple venture out from the emerald area and still fit in?
What is the good preschool that was spoken of?

Night!

There's also the Grandview which is about another 5-10 minute walk to shul...

Tzippora

Post Thu, Feb 23 2012, 7:28 am
amother wrote:
Tzippora wrote:
amother wrote:
Can we clarify something-Hollywood or Los Angeles? I live in LA but not "in" hollywood. In LA there are different areas with different types of people. There's the valley, the city and pico/beverly hills area. There's lots of young people in pico and the city and I think the valley too. I live in the city and I can tell you there's many different types. Different blocks, different extremes, etc.

As any local will exasperatedly tell you, this is about Hollywood FLORIDA LOL

how would I know that?! haha lol

The thread title Smile

geulah1948

Post Thu, Feb 23 2012, 10:39 am
Tzippora wrote:
medola wrote:
Thank you for this insightful discussion!

Are there any other rental buildings besides Fairways?
How far can a couple venture out from the emerald area and still fit in?
What is the good preschool that was spoken of?

Night!

There's also the Grandview which is about another 5-10 minute walk to shul...

hi,

I grew up in hollywood..
1. the only apartment options is fairways..here is a friends phone number that deals with real estate there. sharonbrandt@decorusrealty.com cell is 305-546-8394
2. I would not suggest venturing out of emerald hills..(socially speaking)
3.pre school search Brauser Maimonides Academy Hollywood Florida..their website should come up

good luck!

amother

Post Thu, Feb 23 2012, 12:11 pm
First amother here.

Yes, NMB is that different now.

I wouldn't recommend researching Grandview. It is mostly a post-retirement community. You won't find any young couples there, especially not with children. (And it is quite a walk from the shul). If you feel like you are restricted in condo options, speak to an agent and see what rentals they can find for you in housing.

The (Orthodox) Jewish community in Hollywood is only in Emerald Hills. The main part of the community spans between Sheridan Street and Stirling Road (of course with people living far and in between), between North Park Road and 56th Ave.

The heat and humidity is going to attack you no matter where you live, but I wouldn't recommend living more than a 10 minute walk from the shul.

I also have a real estate agent that you can speak to, if you are interested.

Yes, Brauser Maimonides is the school is the area.

Gsanmb

Post Sun, Feb 26 2012, 2:32 pm
I have a friend living there with her family and they rented a house in the frum neighborhood. You might want to consider that option as well.

PM me if you'd like her contact info!

medola

Post Wed, Mar 21 2012, 10:19 pm
Do frum families live in the lower right side of emerald hills? I.e. around: Emerald Oaks Dr., Atlanta St., Simms St., Kensington St.?

amother

Post Thu, Mar 22 2012, 1:41 pm
Not that I know of. It would be over a mile and a half walk to the shul. In fact, those streets you named are out of the eruv, so my answer would be that no frum families live there.

amother

Post Wed, May 29 2013, 3:23 pm
Medola, what did you decide? Do you like Hollywood?

greenfire

Post Wed, May 29 2013, 3:30 pm
amother wrote:
Tzippora wrote:
amother wrote:
Can we clarify something-Hollywood or Los Angeles?

As any local will exasperatedly tell you, this is about Hollywood FLORIDA LOL

how would I know that?! haha lol

if you can read the title of the thread - you would know that ~ ha ha Sunny

medola

Post Wed, May 29 2013, 4:15 pm
Yes we did make the move to Hollywood, FL. The community is a bit more to the left than what we were used to up north... It's supposed to be a MO community that is just got a Kollel and is moving more to the right, but we have found it to be much more "Conservadox" at times. But the pros seem to outweigh the cons for now. DH loves his job, DS likes his jewish preschool... We have a nice big apartment, pool, lots of kosher restaurants, awesome parks and places to take the family, beautiful beaches just down the street, and great weather 80% of the time! but it's hard moving so far away, away from a community we really loved, away from our families. it's been about 10 months now since we moved. I have made some friends, but no one to "replace" my besties up north. Not too many new friends I am at the point with that I can just call them up to hang out... We'll say hi at the park but don't usually take it from there. People seem a bit more cliquey here. I just have a lot more phone-relationships now with family and my girlfriends. To be honest, I did find it a little hard at first because, for example, a lot of people don't cover their hair (or their knees, elbows, etc either!), and, you know, it makes is hard to relate on some levels when you don't share certain views as a priority... I even had a "maybe it is time to uncover?" moment or two, but I'm too chicken. Ok, there you have it... my mostly uncensored thoughts on moving and this new community I have found myself in! (Hope I didn't say too much!)

Last edited by medola on Wed, May 29 2013, 10:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

littles

Post Wed, May 29 2013, 5:56 pm
You sound really nice, Medola. I hope you find more like-minded people there. We left Hollywood about 7 months ago. It just isn't a frum neighborhood. Your assessment of conservadox was right on the mark!

I know several people who began uncovering their hair upon living/moving to Hollywood (more who just started showing more) and were greeted with positive reactions because not covering your hair is the majority there. One friend said she only started making friends once she unconvered her hair Sad

Stay strong and don't compromise your beliefs; it's a shallow community.

amother

Post Thu, May 30 2013, 10:59 am
littles wrote:

I know several people who began uncovering their hair upon living/moving to Hollywood (more who just started showing more) and were greeted with positive reactions because not covering your hair is the majority there. One friend said she only started making friends once she unconvered her hair Sad

Stay strong and don't compromise your beliefs; it's a shallow community.

This makes me sad. Sad I haven't heard anything about this at all and am fairly well acquainted with the community. Definitely don't compromise your beliefs to feel the need to fit in more. I'm sure after some time you'll get to meet more people and appreciate you even though their beliefs are different. :/

JerseyShore

Post Tue, Nov 26 2013, 7:59 pm
I live in Hollywood FL!!

I have NEVER thought of uncovering my hair, knees or elbows.

I have LOTS of like minded friends here who all cover their hair and everything else that should be covered.

There are lots of nice apartments here too. My married daughter lived in Lakewood (the complex in Hollywood, not the town in NJ), in a 2 bdrm with a washer/dryer in the unit and a nice new kitchen for $900 month. Sterling 56 is very nice also. It is a mile from the Young Israel and half a mile to the big Sephardic Synagogue.

The Young Israel community is very modern but the Sephardic community in Hollywood is much more to the right. And there are a lot of Sephardic synagogues in Hollywood.

Royal Oaks is another nice complex.

Leah Kohn is a frum realtor. Her number is 954 654 8404. She is with Beachfront Realty which specializes in the frum areas of South Florida.

I hope this helps.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating