Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
What did you attend?
Previous  1  2

what did you attend?
pre-1a  
 34%  [ 26 ]
kindergarten  
 56%  [ 42 ]
5 year old class (that's what they call it here in argentina)  
 0%  [ 0 ]
started school in 1st grade  
 2%  [ 2 ]
homeschooled  
 0%  [ 0 ]
other  
 6%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 75

sarahd

Post Wed, Dec 04 2013, 1:23 pm
I went to kindergarten, Pre-1-A and then first grade. Also Brooklyn, also Bnos Yisroel, which was not yeshivish, the term and idea "yeshivish" not yet having come into existence. It was a JPF school.

chanar

Post Wed, Dec 04 2013, 1:59 pm
In England as a pp mentioned, preschool is called either nursery or kindergarden depending on the school, (each school has it's own method of defrentiating between the different nursery/kindergarden classes, mine was called downstairs kindergarden and upstairs kindergarden!) and then when you are 4 you start school. First class is called reception, then class 1, 2, 3 etc. Now it's changed to year 1, 2, 3 I think..

amother

Post Wed, Dec 04 2013, 2:22 pm
I went to kindergarten before first grade. My kids went to primer before first grade (yep, Edison).
Other family members living in Brooklyn have gone to kindergarten, pre 1A then first grade.
Can someone please explain what pre-1A means or how that got to be a grade?! It seems that NY and some NJ yeshivish schools use that designation.

Raisin

Post Wed, Dec 04 2013, 2:42 pm
chanar wrote:
In England as a pp mentioned, preschool is called either nursery or kindergarden depending on the school, (each school has it's own method of defrentiating between the different nursery/kindergarden classes, mine was called downstairs kindergarden and upstairs kindergarden!) and then when you are 4 you start school. First class is called reception, then class 1, 2, 3 etc. Now it's changed to year 1, 2, 3 I think..

we must have gone to the same kindergarten.

Also, when I went to to school you went to class 1,2,3,4,5,6, and 7 (until class 1 was changed to reception) then you went to senior or secondary school and went into form 1,2,3,4,5, lower 6th and upper 6th, although many frum schools either stopped at 5th or in my school, had only 1 year of 6th form.

But now you go into Year 1 and carry on until year 11. Is 6th form still called so? Or is it year 12/13?

Very confusing indeed.

shanie5

Post Wed, Dec 04 2013, 7:36 pm
sarahd wrote:
I went to kindergarten, Pre-1-A and then first grade. Also Brooklyn, also Bnos Yisroel, which was not yeshivish, the term and idea "yeshivish" not yet having come into existence. It was a JPF school.

Me too. Well, I skipped kindergarten, started in pre1A and then first grade. Also Bnos Yisroel, Also in Sarahd's class. And Yo'mas sisters class too!

My kids have kindergarten before 1st grade. Nursery is a private 'playgroup' not affiliated with the school.

DrMom

Post Wed, Dec 04 2013, 11:39 pm
Kindergarten (NJ, USA)

BabsB

Post Wed, Dec 04 2013, 11:44 pm
kindergarten, Chicago

cinnamon

Post Thu, Dec 05 2013, 12:24 am
In Israel I attended trom chova (pre mandatory) at three years old, then tat chova (under mandatory) chova (mandatory) and then first grade etc.

sarahd

Post Thu, Dec 05 2013, 1:55 am
amother wrote:
I went to kindergarten before first grade. My kids went to primer before first grade (yep, Edison).
Other family members living in Brooklyn have gone to kindergarten, pre 1A then first grade.
Can someone please explain what pre-1A means or how that got to be a grade?! It seems that NY and some NJ yeshivish schools use that designation.

First grade used to be divided into two terms - 1-A and 1-B. The year before grade 1-A is called Pre-1-A

amother

Post Thu, Dec 05 2013, 5:16 am
I went to Kindergarten in Chicago when I was 5.

When I lived in Dallas my dd went to:
Junior Nursery when she was 3
Senior Nursery when she was 4
Kindergarten was the next grade but sadly, we moved.

Now we live in Queens. Yay.
DD went to YCQ (m.o). The 5 year old class there is called Kindergarten.
She switched to Bnos Malka which is more to the right and they call the:
4 year old program Kindergarten
5 year old program Pre1A
6 year old program 1st grade

My son goes to Tiferes Moshe (yeshivish) and is 4 and in Kindergarten. Next year will be Pre1A, then first.

Anon because I gave out detailed info and dont want to out myself!

June

Post Thu, Dec 05 2013, 5:28 am
I went to Primary, in Lakewood.

Marion

Post Thu, Dec 05 2013, 5:37 am
My kids have been in gan chova...

We had nursery (3 y.o.), junior kindergarten (4 y.o.) and kindergarten (5 y.o.)

amother

Post Thu, Dec 05 2013, 7:01 am
Los Angeles
Kindergarden

Cookies n Cream

Post Thu, Dec 05 2013, 7:24 am
Nursery
Kindergarten
Pre 1A
and then 1st grade and on

in Brooklyn

Pooh

Post Thu, Dec 05 2013, 10:06 am
Maternal
Kinder Chico (small in Spanish)
Kinder grande (big in Spanish)
Preprimaria
1st....

In mexico

mommyla

Post Thu, Dec 05 2013, 10:51 am
amother wrote:
Los Angeles
Kindergarden

Really? I went to Pre-1A in LA. Nursery, kindergarten, Pre-1A, then 1st grade.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children