Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Turkish Airlines to Israel

cindy324

Post Wed, Dec 25 2013, 10:15 pm
DH and I booked our tix to Israel in March on TA.

We got a great deal, but now I am getting nervous that I chose a flight with a too short connection time in Istanbul.

Our layover is just 1 hour, that is if our flight from JFK to IST is on time

Pale Pale

HAs anyone ever taken this flight, or any flight with such short connection? I've been reading too many horror stories about the Istanbul airport, but most people tell me to chill out and not to worry. But I can't help it, I'm scared that we will eihter miss our connecting flight, or our luggage will, or both .

amother

Post Wed, Dec 25 2013, 10:21 pm
cindy324 wrote:

We got a great deal, but now I am getting nervous that I chose a flight with a too short connection time in Istanbul.

Pale Pale

HAs anyone ever taken this flight, or any flight with such short connection? I've been reading too many horror stories about the Istanbul airport, but most people tell me to chill out and not to worry. But I can't help it, I'm scared that we will eihter miss our connecting flight, or our luggage will, or both .

I took a connecting flight thru Paris with a one hr stopover, and our packages stayed right there in Paris! Don't mean to worry you but you asked! We got them back the next day.

On another occassion we traveled through Istambul, longer connection, but I was so nervous too. The experience was very ok, b"h.

Make sure to purchase insurance for baggage delay. We got a lot of money from the insurance for the delay.

Lizie22

Post Wed, Dec 25 2013, 11:04 pm
I flew Turkish Air to Israel through Istanbul with no problems. Our flight out of NYC was majorly delayed and they waited for us in Istanbul.

minnie mouse

Post Wed, Dec 25 2013, 11:09 pm
I flew ta with my family for sukkos. stopover was for 1 hr as well. On the way to israel it worked out perfectly, but on our way home our flight out of tel aviv was delayed for 1 hr. we missed the connecting flight in turkey, and had to wait for the next one, 6 hrs later! All our luggage got home safely, b"h. the airport in istanbul happens to be gorgeous, with magnificent stores.

cindy324

Post Wed, Dec 25 2013, 11:17 pm
Thanks for sharing your experiences. ..I feel better already Smile

etky

Post Thu, Dec 26 2013, 12:06 am
This happened to friends of ours last summer. Their return flight out of NY was delayed and they missed the connection to TA. No big deal. There was another flight a couple of hours later.

simhat_nisuyyin

Post Thu, Dec 26 2013, 12:08 am
The new airport in Istanbul is great. Just be aware: they often won't exchange Israeli cash, so make sure you bring enough to drink (and eat) with you in case you get stuck by missing a layover. And also remember that there are no water fountains (no potable water from the sink in Turkey) so have some cash for bottled water just in case. If you do get stuck, though, no worries. And there shouldn't be too much of a drag in terms of getting delayed baggage. Another thing is that the TA customer service is great! They provide you with a little "comfort kit" even in economy class, kosher food is great, and they give free alcoholic drinks. Cheers

shev

Post Thu, Dec 26 2013, 2:29 am
cindy324 wrote:

Pale Pale

Yes, I've taken this flight, with an hour to my next flight. Not, looking to scare you or worry you, but our flight from JFK was delayed. We ran and ran to our next flight we made it, but I think they closed the gate about 20 minutes later.
We were going to Israel, and we knew that if we miss our connection there was another flight out 4 hrs later. So in the worst case scenario we wldve been in istanbul for 4 hrs.

cindy324

Post Thu, Dec 26 2013, 9:22 am
Quote:
Another thing is that the TA customer service is great
!

It's funny you should mention that, because if there was anything I read a lot of on the internet is how bad their costumer service is! Hopefully they improved in the last few months, lol!

A lot of people say that Istanbul airport personnel doesn't care that you're gonna miss your flight, they are as unhelpful as they can possibly get, and even though you're just transfering to another flight, they make you go through crazy long security lines again!

Quote:
I flew Turkish Air to Israel through Istanbul with no problems. Our flight out of NYC was majorly delayed and they waited for us in Istanbul

Lizie, you had a lot of other passenger on your flight trying to make that same connection, is that why they held the flight for you? I don't even care if I miss the first flight, as long as there is another one a few hours later, but my biggest fear is being separated from my luggage, I don't want to spend half my vacation tracking down lost luggage.

Thank you ladies for all your feedback!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions