Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Need idea for neighbor who organized meals

amother

Post Mon, Dec 30 2013, 7:29 pm
I would like to get a gift for my neighbor who organized pp meals for me and seriously went above and beyond what I expected when she asked if she could be the meal organizer.
she has a few young kids and is not one to go for manicures and the like. she had a balibusta organizer. she has tons of books. I really would rather not get a gift card. she is very crunchy (maybe someone will have an idea based on that??)
not looking to spend to much, thinking $20-30.
tia for any ideas

harriet

Post Mon, Dec 30 2013, 7:33 pm
I don't have any ideas (sorry!), just wanted to say that it's so nice of you!

Take it easy and enjoy your new baby.

amother

Post Mon, Dec 30 2013, 7:34 pm
What does crunchy mean?

momX4

Post Mon, Dec 30 2013, 7:36 pm
a nice box of chocolates for shabbos with a personalized thank you note.

amother

Post Mon, Dec 30 2013, 7:39 pm
crunchy means very into health. (she cooks with ww and other healthy foods, doesnt vaccinate, had a home birth, doesnt allow candy in the house, etc)
chocolate would be a good idea... except for the no candy in the house thing. but maybe a nut platter with a note....?

mummiedearest

Post Mon, Dec 30 2013, 7:42 pm
get her a healthy cookbook.

boysrus

Post Mon, Dec 30 2013, 7:51 pm
Are you sure that a gift would make her feel good? Perhaps it would minimize the mitzvah in her eyes?
Personally I would just write her a really special thank you letter.

From personal experience, I once offered to arrange meals for a friend and it was much harder than usual, eg all her freinds, neighbors were away becues it was right after tisha b'av, so I ended up cooking a significant amount of stuff mmyself. But honestly, I really think htat I might have been embarrassed to be given a gift, it was more than enough to hear their appreciation and comments like 'It is so good ot know tht we can always rely on you' and 'let us know if we can ever reciprocate the help'

just sharing my thoughts....

Post Mon, Dec 30 2013, 7:54 pm
I saw something called raw chocolate that the crunchies like this week. You can get natural cleansers in a health store and present in a pretty basket.

harriet

Post Mon, Dec 30 2013, 7:55 pm
boysrus wrote:
Are you sure that a gift would make her feel good? Perhaps it would minimize the mitzvah in her eyes?
Personally I would just write her a really special thank you letter.

From personal experience, I once offered to arrange meals for a friend and it was much harder than usual, eg all her freinds, neighbors were away becues it was right after tisha b'av, so I ended up cooking a significant amount of stuff mmyself. But honestly, I really think htat I might have been embarrassed to be given a gift, it was more than enough to hear their appreciation and comments like 'It is so good ot know tht we can always rely on you' and 'let us know if we can ever reciprocate the help'

just sharing my thoughts....

I've been in similar situations and would have loved to get a (small) token of appreciation. I guess different strokes for different folks. . .

Imogen

Post Mon, Dec 30 2013, 8:11 pm
Basket of fresh fruit perhaps with a thank you note?

BabsB

Post Mon, Dec 30 2013, 8:17 pm
How wonderful! If only all of our problems could be like this! Smile
(I mean that sincerely, you have a wonderful lady in your life and you sound like a wonderful lady as well.)

I agree that she may feel a little embarrassed to receive something, so be sure to keep it small. The most important part would be a handwritten note expressing your thanks.

Maybe a bottle of wine?

Be sure to pay it forward. That's how you will honor her most. Smile

Mrs Bissli

Post Tue, Dec 31 2013, 11:15 am
Maybe some flowers, or a fruit basket (I usually make my own, buying wicker baskets and transparent wraps, ribbons etc)?

But most importantly, a thank-you card. Maybe you can let her know that one day you'll be in a position to help others by delivering meals to continue the circle of goodness?

To be honest, I organise meals for new mothers, but most people just send me thank you cards and maybe photos of their babies. Gifts are a bit tricky esp as there are multiple families who actually prepare and deliver meals which takes more efforts than just organizing.

amother

Post Tue, Dec 31 2013, 12:10 pm
usually I would go with a thank you card, but in this case the organizer also cooked an extra 2 suppers for me for various reasons and went above and beyond what is usually done for meals in my community. (yes she cooked 3 suppers for me-inc one on erev y"t and organized a full 2 weeks as well)

amother

Post Tue, Dec 31 2013, 12:12 pm
so nice! a nice card with flowers for shabbos or a bottle of wine or the nuts all sound good

willow

Post Wed, Jan 01 2014, 3:08 am
I like the card idea with a gift certificate to the health food store so she can spend on what she likes.

hila

Post Wed, Jan 01 2014, 3:15 am
I know I am being a bit picky - but if she cooked on Erev YT - it is a long time ago. I actually checked that this was not an old thread. AFAIK YT was about 4 months ago or was there one I missed ?

I think she has probably forgotten all about the meals by now if she is a chessed doing person Smile

I am sure she will appreciate some nice card and a bowl of fruit.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics