Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Cellphone use during work hours

amother

Post Mon, Jan 06 2014, 11:35 pm
I know this is really long but I'm really frustrated. Please send me your feedback!

I work in a more frum office. My boss, another woman at work and myself have a smart phone. I keep my phone on my desk and just take a quick glance when a message comes through just to make sure I'm not missing anything important (all group whatsapps are in mute during those hours). I'm not someone that answers calls ever at work unless it's my husband or something really important. Last week Wednesday, my boss calls me in to his office and asked that I put my phone in my bag for the duration of the day (8 hours) and I should ask my husband to either email me or call the work line if he needs me. I was a bit upset and was wondering why me out of the whole office (10 ppl) was asked to do this but with a boss you don't ask questions so I did what he asked. It was a bit annoying to my husband but if he needed me he would think twice before calling (boss wanted that). Thursday, again I was so tempted to look at my phone but didn't because I was nervous he was watching me (I sit right outside his office) but I didn't. When I left the office and took out my phone for the first time that day I noticed that I missed a call from my health insurance. I've been waiting for this call for 11 weeks. I'm due with a baby iyH in 10 weeks and I don't have proper health insurance. They left a message saying that they noticed I has called trying to get a hold of them and that's all. Now I might have to wait who knows how long to get on now that I missed their call. I went over to my bias today and told him my story that I must leave my phone on my desk to insure I get each call. His response was that I should give all major places my work line as well. Now we are 3 people answering one work line so everyone has to know all my business????? I'm so angry!!
The other woman with a smartphone, he told her that she had to put it away and she just doesn't have it around when she hears that he is coming towards her office. I sit right outside!!!!!!!
The are woman that ding have smartphones but babble in the office about their babysitters to their mothers and those people aren't asked to put their phone away! Please let me hear your feedback!!!

notshanarishona

Post Tue, Jan 07 2014, 12:35 am
as long as ur boss is ok with ppl calling the work line if urgent, I think ur boss has every right to request ur phone not b out at work.

seeker

Post Tue, Jan 07 2014, 1:50 am
Slightly off topic but I hate how all the important calls always happen when you can't take them! I mean, it's pretty obvious that they only call you when THEY'RE at work, which in a typical world is the same time YOU'RE at work, but it makes all these things so hard! Health insurance, board of education, etc. ARGH! I totally feel for you. I ALWAYS get "the call I'm waiting for" during work, and most of my work time is directly with students or clients so it's not like I can just take an abrupt bathroom break if I think it might be important. So aggravating. My life sometimes feels like one long string of phone tag. This is why I prefer email whenever possible.

As notshanarishona said, when arranging a potentially urgent phone call, give them your work number and hours. This time it was unavoidable since the phone shtick is new to you, but next time you try to reach them tell them to call you at {work number} between 9-5 (or whatever) and {cell number} at other times.

Regarding the other 10 people in your office, you can't know he didn't say the same to them. Or would, if he felt they were doing too much phone activity.

RachelEve14

Post Tue, Jan 07 2014, 7:19 am
Is it the phone use that is an issue, or the fact that it's a smart phone? I don't know about the states but in EY you can buy a dumb phone and a simple plan for not a lot of money. Would something ike that be a fair compromise?

Willow43

Post Tue, Jan 07 2014, 7:28 am
Am I the only one that agrees with the op that this is ridiculous? I totally understand your frustration. I also work at a frum office and if my boss made me keep my phone in my bag id be so upset, I would feel like he didn't trust me to get my job done. I've had my job for many years and lately for family/health reasons I've been on my (smart)phone a lot and my boss and manager "catch me" And have not said anything. I think it's a level of mutual respect we have for each other and since I get my job done they don't say anything to me. You say you never overused your phone and shut off your whatsapps etc in the past which I think is commendable... I think they should trust you. Just my opinion. I would feel stifled in a job where boss can see from his/her office what I do all day, and made comments when/where I can use my phone. (I don't have my own office either but I have a cubicle where no one sees me unless they walk by)
I guess a solution can be to keep it in your bag and keep your bag on the floor with your phone in it facing upwards. If its on vibrate you can feel the ring and just look down. If its an important call grab your phone discreetly and take the call in the bathroom or outside or something..... Good luck and I feel for u!

amother

Post Tue, Jan 07 2014, 8:11 am
OP here, the conversation with my boss went like this- "I know how disturbing smartphones can be as I have one as well. I don't have whatsapp because it would keep me very busy. I'm asking that you please put away your phone during work hours so that it doesn't keep you busy. I'm trying to in force this rule with everyone."- again as I mentioned on the past, I was targeted first. I'm never on the phone and I mean never! That's what I'm confused about. The woman that speaks for hours with her mother about her babysitter is ok.

myself

Post Tue, Jan 07 2014, 9:00 am
He will probably enforce the rule for everyone but had to begin somewhere. I get that you feel singled out, especially since you've been so careful not to use it except for emergencies!

It's common sense though to be unavailable during office hours. What your co-worker is doing is not okay.

amother

Post Tue, Jan 07 2014, 9:31 am
As a boss it is very frustrating to watch someone break concentration to check their cell phone. I banned ALL personal calls because it was being abused. After I did that I ordered the local phone records one month and I found several long calls including a 40 minute call to someone's mom during a 40 minute appointment of mine. Your boss is banning the cell phones for a business purpose.

Right now DH'S boss gets upset when I call. I totally understand.

heightsmom

Post Tue, Jan 07 2014, 11:23 am
Di you have a lunch hour? You could check for messages at that time. The phone on the desk can be distracting. Do you have a emergency plan to get in touch with your dh? That to me would be the most important. As a teacher I only checked my phone during breaks.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics