Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Working as an SLP in Israel

amother

Post Wed, Jan 08 2014, 9:11 pm
Anon b/c I was just talking about this with a bunch of people IRL, and I don't want people figuring out who I am. Smile

I dream of making aliyah, but I'm not sure how to make it work as a speech therapist. Currently working in a public school, with majority of my caseload being language issues. Since my Hebrew is weak, I need to start planning ahead what I could be successful doing in Israel. I need to start getting more training and experience in an area that doesn't require great Hebrew, so what would that be? Voice? Stuttering? Accent reduction? AAC? Swallowing? What's in demand?

Any advice GREATLY appreciated! Help

amother

Post Wed, Jan 08 2014, 10:23 pm
good luck!

Swallowing is not at all understood as it is in the states. Not such a common issue alltogether besides for preemies/babies, and elderly.

Stuttering- there's this well known stuttering therapist in Bnei Brak (forgot her name maybe barbara?) lots of people go to her, but if you'd be really excellent in Jlem that might be good.

aac- not sure that you can do that without good hebrew. you probably also can't get private jobs like that. Those kids are generally in programs/schools which have the therapists working there.

accent reduction- possibly. I know a therapist who has done this. It is very hard. but might be good. Who would you target? americans who want to sound israeli or the other way around?

Voice- don't know much about. Sounds like it might be good.

But I think the best advice is brush up on your hebrew!! You will be limiting yourself so much if you only want to work with anglos. Not so k'dai. Look at it this way. YOu're obviously not flying tomorrow because you're talking about training in a specialty. So how about all the time you are training for whatever specialty you choose, you should also find a good hebrew learning program.

Hatzlacha!

amother

Post Thu, Jan 09 2014, 12:27 am
Thanks for the great advice!

I'm definitely working on my Hebrew, don't worry! But I have to be realistic too. I'm not ever going to be a native speaker, so that limits me.

amother

Post Thu, Jan 09 2014, 6:07 am
Is the market flooded with speech therapists in Israel?

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Jan 09 2014, 6:10 am
I dont personally know about this field as I am not in it, but someone I know runs this organization: http://www.maytav.co.il/home,english.html you may want to check it out.

amother

Post Thu, Jan 09 2014, 11:20 am
Can you use your american certificate in Israel or would you need to get re certified there?

amother

Post Thu, Jan 09 2014, 9:53 pm
Thanks for the Maytav link! Looks like swallowing is an option for me.

amother

Post Thu, Jan 09 2014, 9:56 pm
Amother above the last post- you need to get licensed in Israel. Details: http://www.nbn.org.il/aliyahpe......html

amother

Post Thu, Jan 09 2014, 10:11 pm
amother wrote:
Thanks for the Maytav link! Looks like swallowing is an option for me.

I'm an SLP and lived and worked in Israel for about 5 years, although it was a while ago so my information might not be current.

Regarding some of the ideas/people mentioned on this thread-Barbara Dahm runs an internationally acclaimed intensive fluency clinic in Bnai Brak (and travels in to the US to run clinics as well). I don't think she has/needs others to work with her and as she is THE expert (she's amazing), I don't really think there is such a need for another fluency person (it's a small country!)-although as someone mentioned, maybe in Yerushalayim. . .

Sharon Ron and Miriam Levi (of the Maytav Clinic) are the nicest, most professional, amazing people. They have many, many years of experience (ie Sharon worked at/headed the swallowing department in a US hospital for years) and many people want to work for them-I would not count on it, especially as you don't really have years of hospital etc experience. That said though, all these women (Sharon, Miriam, and Barbara) are wonderful (English speaking) people who you might want to call-definitely if you are considering going into their specialty!

Most SLPs that I know/knew do a combination of the following three-work in a school, start a private practice, supervise for the speech programs in Israel (yes, the US programs pay Asha certified clinicians to supervise). You obviously have to have a decent Hebrew to work in a school-whether it's special education or regular ed. You should consider taking an ulpan, it is really helpful.

When I personally lived there, I had a private practice (small) and worked for Neve's Undergraduate and Master's Program in SLP, both teaching and supervising. Both those programs don't exist anymore (I believe) although there are some others in it's place (Touro and Raizel Reit/TTI) come to mind.

Regarding a license-if you are asha certified AND making aliya, you should not have a problem completing the paperwork etc and getting a rishayon (which you would need to work in the schools etc).

My experience has been SLP jobs in Israel are not very plentiful (or as well paying as in the US) but if you are very motivated, who knows!

Good luck!

amother

Post Thu, Jan 09 2014, 10:52 pm
Thanks- that's helpful info. Aliyah isn't in the cards for a good while yet, so I have time to build expertise in a specialty (and work on my Hebrew!). I was just talking with someone whose SLP mother made aliyah years ago and specializes in voice. Her Hebrew isn't fabulous, but she gets along fine because she's not working on language.

Another thought is telepractice. Do you know anyone who did that from Israel to the States?

amother

Post Thu, Jan 09 2014, 11:20 pm
amother wrote:
Thanks- that's helpful info. Aliyah isn't in the cards for a good while yet, so I have time to build expertise in a specialty (and work on my Hebrew!). I was just talking with someone whose SLP mother made aliyah years ago and specializes in voice. Her Hebrew isn't fabulous, but she gets along fine because she's not working on language.

Another thought is telepractice. Do you know anyone who did that from Israel to the States?

I'm the amother above you. I don't know anyone who telepractices but it sounds intriguing-I remember reading about it in the Asha leader, the rural areas that use it. . .
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics