Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Children 16 months apart - tips??

amother

Post Sat, Jan 11 2014, 8:50 pm
IYH my kids will be 16 months apart.

Can someone please give me some parenting tips as to make the transition and easy & smooth as possible?

piece

Post Sat, Jan 11 2014, 11:50 pm
this was a while ago when I had my second child, but I remember reading that when come home from the hospital your husband should hold the baby as you enter the home & you go to the oldest---to have the second is very challenging, but extremely rewarding!!!
the oldest is still young, but try to include her in what you do with the baby; but also to still give her individual attention (when baby is sleeping, or see if hubby, single sibling (if you have) or grandparents, or whoever you can to take oldest out alone on errands etc to show her she is still special - & this way you can catch up on sleeping etc or even spoiling the new baby without feeling guilty.

amother

Post Sun, Jan 12 2014, 6:11 am
I had two 16 months apart too.
I was lucky that the oldest was and still is, 10 years later, such a mommy.
She understood about gentle and helping Mommy by getting me the wipes or tickling only toes not the face.
Of course I didn't leave them alone for a moment until they were quite a bit older.

I learned how to nurse with one hand and turn pages of a book with my other.
I learned how to change diapers for one child while speaking platitudes to another.
I learned how to schedule naps for one child while the other was sleeping.

And you will too.
Be'Shaa Tova.

zigi

Post Sun, Jan 12 2014, 8:46 am
if I needed the bathroom I put the baby in the crib and closed the door, I didn't get much done in the beginning. also remember that the oldest is still a baby. we went to the park a lot, also mommy and me's. I wound up putting both kids on the same schedule when my baby was older. it was nice having both kids sleep for 2 hours in the afternoon.

I had one on one with the oldest when the baby napped we also spent a lot of time on the floor. the baby on the playmat and I played with the oldest. it was fun times.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics